Musical Chairs Safety Drill

This is a discussion on Musical Chairs Safety Drill within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone recently told me about a drill they do in their church Sunday School (pre-school through 2nd grade) to practice getting their school locked down ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By 1911srule
  • 1 Post By 1911srule
  • 1 Post By robhic

Thread: Musical Chairs Safety Drill

Someone recently told me about a drill they do in their church Sunday School (pre-school through 2nd grade) to practice getting their school locked down as quickly as possible, in the event of an attack. Teachers start yelling “musical chairs” and the kids get into the nearest classroom and sit down on the floor, against the wall farthest from the door, as quickly as possible. Then the teachers close and lock the doors. I’m thinking of suggesting this in the Sunday school where I teach (we have the same ages, plus some even younger ones, typically about fifty kids altogether every Sunday). Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

"Teachers start yelling musical chairs"

And that is why it can never be effective imho. Adults need to stop sugar coating real life threats. We told our kids when they went to public school, if theres a shooting. LEAVE and to heck with what any teacher tells you to do period. IE; how many kids died because during the last school mass shooting they were told to HIDE? Which imho enabled them to be slaughtered...Tell them the truth and give them a good plan vice a faulty one. Ever hear the term "Get off the "X"?
    rammerjammer, DingBat and mano3 like this.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    – Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    We told our kids when they went to public school, if theres a shooting. LEAVE and to heck with what any teacher tells you to do period.
    What about the possibility of running out and directly into the gunman/men? Doesn't sound like a much greater improvement unless you're certain of the escape route especially as to where the gunman/men are....
    -- Robert
    NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    What about the possibility of running out and directly into the gunman/men? Doesn't sound like a much greater improvement unless you're certain of the escape route especially as to where the gunman/men are....
    Like in a fire, don't teach them to run into it. But...away via the best escape route you can find.
    How many survivors of fires waited to be rescued opposed to the numbers who escaped on their own? Also they need to stop designing schools to be death traps.IE; return to having windows that open from the inside for emergency egress. I'm for armed guards and/or certified teachers but thats another subject.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    – Josef Stalin

Like in a fire, don't teach them to run into it. But...away via the best escape route you can find.
    Apples to oranges. Run ANYWHERE there is NO fire. Can't be so sure about an armed, psychotic person shooting up a school....

I'm for armed guards and/or certified teachers but thats another subject.
    Agreed. PRO-active and not RE-active.
    1911srule likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Patron Member

"Teachers start yelling musical chairs"

And that is why it can never be effective imho. Adults need to stop sugar coating real life threats. We told our kids when they went to public school, if theres a shooting. LEAVE and to heck with what any teacher tells you to do period. IE; how many kids died because during the last school mass shooting they were told to HIDE? Which imho enabled them to be slaughtered...Tell them the truth and give them a good plan vice a faulty one. Ever hear the term "Get off the "X"?
    I agree with the comments about running away if you can. But if you can quickly get into a classroom behind a sturdy, locked, door, and then your teacher can help you get out through a window, I think that’s a better scenario than running all the way down the hallway towards an exit, especially since the shooter is probably in the hallway, and may very well be between your six-year old child and the exit he or she wants to use. Also, bear in mind, about half the kids in a pre-school through 2nd grade Sunday school are five and under. They all understand “musical chairs,” which makes it easy for them to drill.

First Kudo's to the teacher for taking the time to have some sort of plan, and making the effort to protect the children. Having a plan is the biggest part of a situation, and unless you are on ground floor, and have windows designed to egress, there is no way to get a mass of kids out. So securing the room, and the teacher being armed would be awesome. I would like to address the comment about "sugar coating" things for kids. It is not really sugar coating, children respond differently than adults. By using "musical chairs", the kids are excited (not panic), of which they respond quicker to fun, it keeps from drawing unwanted attention to classroom, because do not have to panic, or cause the kids to scream or cry or yell. It creates a controled command of situation, getting a elicited response. I think every organization with group of children should have some sort of plan and/or drill.

One question I have is why would they run to the wall opposite the door. If the BG decided to start shooting at the lock or whatever to get in, the kids are directly in the line of fire. If the BG kicks in the door, the kids are directly in sight of the guy when he comes in. If the classroom door has a window, they kids are in the line of sight before he even gets through the door.

I would much more prefer they be on the same wall as the door, huddled in the opposite corner of the door, with lots of things as a barrier right by the door. If the BG did kick the door in, then the teacher or other adult in the room could push the barrier material onto the intruder once they came through the door and hopefully pin them down long enough for the kids to make an exit out the door.

I don't really care if they call it a fire drill or not, as long as they are taking some sort of measure to deal with the unlikely that something of this nature would happen.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links