Potential Mugging in Restaurant Parking Lot.

This is a discussion on Potential Mugging in Restaurant Parking Lot. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me tonight and I'd like to get some constructive criticism on anything I could have possible done better or worse. Backstory: I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Mugging in Restaurant Parking Lot.

Potential Mugging in Restaurant Parking Lot.

This happened to me tonight and I'd like to get some constructive criticism on anything I could have possible done better or worse.

Backstory: I was eating dinner with my fiance after work. Since I met her right after I got off, we were driving seperate vehicles. She was in her car and I was on my motorcycle. I ended up parking at the back of the lot by an old building.

Anyways, we ate dinner and left uneventfully. I walked her to her car and saw her off and then headed for my bike. I went through my procedures to get going, so I started my bike and proceeded to put my helmet on.

Then a man came walking really fast from out of the parking lot (it was dark at this point, so I'm not sure where he came from) yelling something trying to get my attention. He was walking up on me really fast so I stuck my hand in my pocket, which had my Kel-tec P32 in it. I can't carry anything full size at work and have stuck with the small pocket carry. Whoever said it was right, you never wish for a smaller handgun.

Anyways, he kept getting closer to me while not articulating what he wanted and when he got into my personal space (~4ft away) I drew on him and told him to stop and get away. He said he was just going to ask for money and ran off. I called the police and reported it after I headed home (10 minute ride) and they said they'd send more patrols through the area or something to that affect.

So, I know I let the guy get too close to me, but I only had right around 2-3 seconds before he was on me, so I'm going to practice moving more in the future. Does anyone else have any other ideas on what I could have done better should this sort of situation ever happen again?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    1. Get the bike between you and the subject. 2. Order him to get back before drawing (if time allows). 3. scan side to side for additional threats approaching. 4. Put helmet on before starting bike.(less white noise)

Note: this is just after action ideas, sounds like you did o.k. .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    The big problem - the speed of it all.

I think maybe you did what you had to - imagining your predicament. It's easy to stress con yellow but you hard dark working against you.

Good you called it in - and to be honest - not sure what else you could have done, altho as Rocky mentioned - keeping bike between the two of you is at least one useful measure, if achievable of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

To be honest it happened too fast. By the time I was trying to move he was almost in my personal space. This guy was moving fast. Like Olympic speed walker fast. Or maybe it was just me reacting too slow. There were no lights on this part of the parking lot so I couldn't see if he had a weapon or anything. I don't feel like the presentation of the pistol was wrong at all for the situation, just would really like to hindsight what I can do better so that if it happens again, I can be more prepared.

I feel that I was in con yellow, just that this guy came out of nowhere. There was a jeep and a large truck parked to the left of my bike and he came from that angle somewhere.

Thanks for the tips.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

The motorcycle kind of makes this a tough situation. In a car you can lock the doors in a situation like this and it will provide a fair amount of additional safety. That's not really an option on a bike.

Based on your description, my main suggestion would have been to try some aggressive verbal disengagement before he got close enough that you felt you had to draw. An authoritative, "back off" or "don't come any closer" might have turned him around without displaying your weapon. Another option along these lines would be a good, bright flashlight. A Surefire directed at his eyes would have been a good way of getting your message across (not to mention diminishing his capabilities if he was planning to do something nasty).

It sounds like something with a little more punch might make you feel better, and that's certainly possible in a pocket sized pistol (Kel-tec or Kahr 9mm, or a J-frame).

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    There were no lights on this part of the parking lot so I couldn't see if he had a weapon or anything.
    I don't want to critque too harshly because I wasn't in YOUR shoes, but it sounds like you were automatically at a disadvantage if the illumination where you parked was poor.

As previously mentioned (Rocky), I would've ordered him back if there was time and try to move or be mobile - but I realize that it happened fast.

My humble .002.

Glad to hear that you're safe and it didn't escalate into anything more serious!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Hard to be sure the right actions, as you were there , not us.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sounds to me like you did OK. Not sure what I would have done different.

Good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I Love My Harley...

I would never park it in a dark, dangerous place...

Now for my 'person'...I am always cognizant of my surroundings in a parking lot. Here in FL I usually wear a 1/2 helmet so my hearing is not impaired as it would be in a full helmet...this helps. Sometimes for short jaunts, I may not put the helmet on...I know...but I do that at times...

Sounds like your reaction was OK...but I may have 'shouted' a warning long before I displayed a weapon. Calling the cops was a smart thing to do...now it's a record of the event.

As I first said, I would not have parked my bike in a dark lot. No good parking?... then I don't park it...

Glad everything worked out well for you...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The motorcycle kind of makes this a tough situation.
    IMO, it's the helmet that makes it a tough one. A motorcycle is large enough to be a hurdle, easily placed between you and the threat. But that helmet takes away your field of view, your hearing, your balance. Ditch it, if threatened. And, yeah, not so close next time.

Glad you're okay. The guy needs to modify his tactics, else he's going to get shot or stabbed by someone. Inbound threats are just that. They must be treated as such.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some good tips. Thanks for all the help. Constructive criticism is just that and I won't be offended by any suggestions.

As to parking in a dark place. It was light when I parked and I didn't check the lights in the parking lot. I suppose I'll be doing that in the future; or at least for a while anyway.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I ride a motorcycle most of the time too and have been in similar situations many times. Mostly folks just want to look at my bike (Buells tend to attract the curious). Other times, I have been asked for money for food or gas. Given your situation, I would have likely put the bike between me and the bogey. I am near certain that I would not have drawn before at least asking the dude what he wanted and then politely telling him to get lost (cold stare and stern voice). If that did not work immediately - which is not likely given my past experiences, there would most likely be an ongoing dialog that would hopefully help me to further assess the potential severity of the threat and decide how to proceed.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think you did just fine.

You may have experienced a delayed mental reaction which allowed the suspect to get too close for comfort. This is probably what caused you to have to skip steps and go directly to drawing down on him.

From what you described, however, I don't think this person had the intention of "asking" you for money, but rather taking your money. I have never been approached in the manner that you described by someone asking for money. People who have approached me have always began to establish verbal communication a good 10 - 15 feet away.

Be aware of your surroundings and get used to readily engaging people verbally. A simple "hello" with good direct eye contact can go a long way towards distingishing friend from foe. Don't be a shy person. Establishing that communication immediately lets the wolves know that you are not a sheep, but rather a sheep dog who is aware. I have thwarted potential attackers in the past, simply by politely letting them know that I am aware of their presence.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

This scenario reminds me of the adage, "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail."

Not to rain on your parade, but technically you could be guilty of "Assault With A Deadly Weapon". Did the "gentleman display means, motive or opportunity, to commit a felony that would place you in fear of your life?

Asking for money is NOT a felony and isn't illegal in most parts of the world. Therefore I would suggest that you learn some other "tools" to place in your tool box. Command Voice, Hand To Hand Combat, Pepper Spray and Knife Fighting should all be in your tool box.

By the way, the tools I use most often are awareness, verbal and body position. Live and learn. I'm not a Lawyer, nor do I work for one, just giving you another side to your scenario. Take care and stay safe. By the way, when I'm on the Ducati I wear a full face helmet, sure saves the head when someone is stupid enough to punch you.

Biker RN

Thumbs up Begger or not ????????

I've had the same problem while on service calls and I carry quite a bit of money.I think you did just fine considering the time you had to react. Some of these guys are and will not take no for an answer. On one of my encounters the guy was trying to rob me but a .357 changed his mind. Good thing you called the law. It might have saved some else a problem with this guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links