Reacting to Road Rage

Reacting to Road Rage

This is a discussion on Reacting to Road Rage within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Road rage seems to more and more common. I don't yet carry (taking class in April) but I'd like some ideas for dealing with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reacting to Road Rage

Road rage seems to more and more common. I don't yet carry (taking class in April) but I'd like some ideas for dealing with the following senario. You are armed with your trusty handgun (insert favorite). You are on the freeway in moderate to heavy traffic and (for whatever reason) another driver is annoyed at you. Perhaps he thinks you cut him off or perhaps you did cut him off, or maybe he doesn't like your Dubya04 bumper sticker. He's honking, gesturing, following closely. You do NOT have a cell phone and you are doing your best to ignore and remove yourself from the situation. He mirrors your moves. You slow down to let him pass and he stays behind you. Ultimately he gets in front of you tries to force you to stop. Perhaps he is sucessful in getting you to stop. Do you take off as he gets out of his car? Perhaps you shouldn't have stopped. Is there any systematic approach to such a senario? Would your reaction be different if you were the only 2 cars on a lightly traveled rural highway? Please give me some good ideas. Feel free to change the fact pattern if you like. This sort of stuff happens so what would you do? I am new to this forum so my apologies if I am replowing an old field.

Show him you are calling 911. (if you did have a phone)
    Don't stop, if forced to then pull away asap.
    Drive a truck.

Some combination of the above should work.
    Last edited by Pete; March 1st, 2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: oops.

Show him you are calling 911.
    No cell phone in fact pattern. But don't ever stop, do I have that right?

Unless he is coming at you with a gun or other deadly weapon do your best to get the @%% out of there. No amount of road rage is worth losing your life or your permit for.

You will find once you are able to legally carry that you will get away from any of that behavior. You will become a calm cool driver.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by northjdr View Post
    But don't ever stop, do I have that right?
    Not sure I understand, the 'right' to not stop and face a crazy person?
    I'm not going to stop or pull over for a unmarked car being driven erratically, hostilely even, under any circumstances other than being smashed into after his little chasing game. Even then I would have to think twice if I thought I was in more danger by stopping to 'sort things out'.
    Now, if I did get rammed off the road and my vehicle disabled because someone didn't like my bumper sticker I would be in condition red from the moment my boot hit the ground. I wouldn't expect him to apologize and say it was a misunderstanding, so I wouldn't approach him accordingly.
    I'd get behind my vehicle, preferably with the engine block between me and him, and then take it from there.
    ie, I would act rather than react as much as possible without instigating combat.

Well, if he somehow forced me to stop, and there was not any wall or anything blocking my side, I'd just cut through the grass or whatever and keep going.

I always have a cell phone, so I would call the cops, if I didn't I'd put my CB on 9 and call the cops.

Unless he is threatening me with a weapon and there is no way I can escape, I am staying in the vehilce and not drawing. 4500 pounds of steel beats a 230 grs of lead any day too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Keep your cool and try to put distance between you and the crazy guy while looking for a cop. Also try to get a tag number if possible.what ever you do don't bring a gun into play unless he is shooting at you.

Whatever you do, don't stop. As long as you're in the car and moving, you're pretty much immune from anything short of being shot at or rammed off the road. Absent the rager doing one of those things, keep going. If the other guy does anything overt, call 9-1-1.

A cell phone should always be part of your EDC gear. Calling 9-1-1 can help you avoid situations in the first place and if something does happen it can help get your side of the story on record before the other guy's.

Same thing happened to me about 25 years ago, before I fell in love with big PU trucks, cell phones and liberal CCW laws. Drunk did not like my low beams, they were too bright for his blood shot eyes, he passed me then stopped N tried to block me, so I just waited for him to get out and come running at my compact car, then I showed him what you cold do with a stick shift, peeled out at him, did a quick LRL and left him swearing at the world by himself.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by northjdr View Post
    But don't ever stop, do I have that right?
    I just read this again, I thought you were asking if you had the right to not stop, to keep going.
    I now understand you were asking if you understood me.

Sorry about that.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Drive to the nearest police station or stop someplace very public if you absolutely have to. I think stopping is the worst thing you can do. Do not drive home.

Never, ever flash your gun out the window.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    AVOID AND EVADE.

Do not stop. Unless they have a gun I would not engage. Road Rage situations are often a bad for the shooter in court.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; March 1st, 2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Calling 911

Find someone with an old cell phone they are no longer using. That can be used to dial 911 whether or not it is activated on a particular service.

All cell phones can call 911.

Eric

yep that's what I meant. No apology necessary. Thanks for all the insight.

I agree that cell phones are a necessity. I have one of course. I was just posting a hypothical. Clearly keep moving, don't get out of the car, don't go home, don't antagonize, Not flashing a weapon is a no brainer. Getting license number and description. Getting a truck, perhaps a club cab so there's room for the SHTF bag. Maybe one of those fire extinguisher sized mace/pepper sprayers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links