Fender Bender+ Drunks

This is a discussion on Fender Bender+ Drunks within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm a crazy person, and decided to go bowling despite the horrible horrible roads. After bowling I get in my car, put on my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fender Bender+ Drunks

Fender Bender+ Drunks

So I'm a crazy person, and decided to go bowling despite the horrible horrible roads. After bowling I get in my car, put on my gun and pull out. At the first stoplight after the bowling ally, roads are very slick. I THOUGHT I had plenty of room to slow down and stop, but it turns out the entire road was black ice. I start to slide, and knowing I was not gonna make it I head for a gap between the cars in front of me(nowhere else to go). I end up just barely brushing the car on my passenger side, doing a little damage to both. Immediatly I get the finger out the back window of theirs, roll down my passenger window and tell them to pull into the parking lot right next to the intersection. This is where I probably should have called the cops, but didn't
    Anyhow, I step out and inspect my damage, as they do. A lady was driving, and 3 guys all bigger than me and drunk all get out of their car. The lady was being rational as we decided not to call the police at 2am. However the 3 drunken guys she was with decided to get in my face and want to start a fight. One of them actually shoved me in my chest a little bit. I reached for my gun and said something along the lines of 'back the f off' or something. They got the hint before my hand even hit the gun, or something cause the next thing I know the 3 guys were getting in their car.

Anyhow, feel free to critique.

2. Remove Ads

Hows Lucky sound.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    PatrioticRick is right--You're lucky. While calling the PD may have been the right move, there's no guarantee it wouldn't have gotten uglier with the alckies before the police show up.

The only thing you might have tried is when the guy laid a hand on you is tried the old 'throw your hand up and say something like not looking for trouble and it's just an accident,' before reaching for your sidearm, BUT when dealing with drunks things change too quickly.

From what your saying, I think you did alright.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

You did well, IMO. At 2am, fender bender, three males in a car, and you're driving alone in your own car? Anything can happen.

20/20 hindsight, of course, but that's why cell phones are great. As well, maintaining your car as a barrier between you as you get out to speak with them and await arrival of an LEO is safe, while remaining in the car is even safer (with the motor running and gear in "drive"). Keeping both eyes open for threats is crucial. 'Cause, they might well be drunk, shove you, attack you, either disarming you or forcing you to respond in a disparity-of-force situation ... The goal is to get home safely. A cell phone and LEO is probably the best route to that, while maintaining vigilance and circumspection for the duration. Anything else could well get you beaten (as nearly happened) or killed.

Kudos on getting through it unscathed. It nearly went sideways on you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank goodness no one was hurt. As with most drunk males, common sense is replaced by aggression and disordered thinking.
    Think how that could have turned out if you didn't have your weapon.
    By attempting to do the right thing, you could have been seriously hurt or killed one or more of the thugs. Sounds like they had enough reasoning to get back into the car. Hope your insurance comes through and your car repaired. Think of it this way, you saved a life....yours.

tk

Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    Thank goodness no one was hurt. As with most drunk males, common sense is replaced by aggression and disordered thinking.
    tk

I have a problem with that concept...While I don't get drunk regularly...I did attend college where much alcohol was consumed and drunkeness ensued. So yes, I have been drunk... The problem is though...as I see it anyway, those who become aggressive and disorderly and lack common sense while drunk...were that way to BEGIN WITH. I've been drunk myself and witnessed many drunks in my few short years...I never felt the urge to become aggressive or angry or lack common sense...On the contrary..my thoughts were usually...i'm physically impaired...perhaps I should try to get myself home safely and sleep it off. All the folks I've seen who acted in the original scenario...were that way BEFORE they got drunk. Alcohol is an excuse people use...Yes It deminishes your capacities slightly...It doesn't take away what wasn't there to begin with though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

doubt LE wouldve been able to make it out early enough to make a difference in this encounter, honestly.... 911 call wouldnt have changed anything, imho

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I have a problem with that concept...While I don't get drunk regularly...I did attend college where much alcohol was consumed and drunkeness ensued. So yes, I have been drunk... The problem is though...as I see it anyway, those who become aggressive and disorderly and lack common sense while drunk...were that way to BEGIN WITH. I've been drunk myself and witnessed many drunks in my few short years...I never felt the urge to become aggressive or angry or lack common sense...On the contrary..my thoughts were usually...i'm physically impaired...perhaps I should try to get myself home safely and sleep it off. All the folks I've seen who acted in the original scenario...were that way BEFORE they got drunk. Alcohol is an excuse people use...Yes It deminishes your capacities slightly...It doesn't take away what wasn't there to begin with though.
    No offense meant...maybe I should have stated...From my experience etc... By the time I see an intoxicated male, he has already been involved in an altercation and has been injured. I am just the poor nurse who has to deal with his drunk @$%! You are right, not all men who over indulge are like that. Yes and women act like idiots too when drunk. My apologies....did not mean to offend those who like to get ripped!

tk

Assistant Administrator
    I draw a distinction with drunks - into two main possible categories.

1) - The guys that are described here - belligerent and aggressive - potentially looking for trouble.

2) - The guys who get ''silly'' and totter around laughing at stuff no one else can see. The harmless ones!

What really yanks my chain is the type #1 that after sobering up uses booze as the excuse for their behavior - like -''it wasn't me, it was the drink".

Horse puckey I say! It is them and their responsibility only - and those I like to stear clear of for sure. Bad news.

You probably did pretty much all you could do and had to do in the circumstances.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It Wasn't Me, It Was The Drink...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I draw a distinction with drunks - into two main possible categories.

1) - The guys that are described here - belligerent and aggressive - potentially looking for trouble.

2) - The guys who get ''silly'' and totter around laughing at stuff no one else can see. The harmless ones!

What really yanks my chain is the type #1 that after sobering up uses booze as the excuse for their behavior - like -''it wasn't me, it was the drink".

Horse puckey I say! It is them and their responsibility only - and those I like to stear clear of for sure. Bad news.

You probably did pretty much all you could do and had to do in the circumstances.
    Chris,

I agree with your distinction. It's like me saying back...
    "It wasn't me, it was the gun?"

I rarely drink any more...but if doctors said that 'a beer a day' was good for one's health...I'm covered until the year 2090 (coverage was earned during my younger years).

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    "It wasn't me, it was the gun?"
    Perfect analogy !!

if doctors said that 'a beer a day' was good for one's health...I'm covered until the year 2090 (coverage was earned during my younger years).
    Haha - I'll bet there are a few of us Ken who might say just the same
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Drunks

Drinking intensifies your personality, if someone is just a bit of an a-hole sober he becomes a raging a-hole on booze.

Thumbs up

You did what you had to do considering you had three drunks who were wanting to fight. At least the girl had some common sense. I'm glad you came out ok. Just goes to show that the presence of a gun can some times put a stop to problems before they get out of hand.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Yes you could have called the LEO but would the out come been any different? If the weather is bad enough they don’t respond to a non injury accident (simple fender bender) at least in KS.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I have a problem with that concept...While I don't get drunk regularly...I did attend college where much alcohol was consumed and drunkeness ensued. So yes, I have been drunk... The problem is though...as I see it anyway, those who become aggressive and disorderly and lack common sense while drunk...were that way to BEGIN WITH. I've been drunk myself and witnessed many drunks in my few short years...I never felt the urge to become aggressive or angry or lack common sense...
    Same here. Drunk jerks were jerks before the first swig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links