Son has right mindset.

This is a discussion on Son has right mindset. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am sitting at my office today and on my second monitor I see a tire roll across my front yard. First thought is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Son has right mindset.

Thumbs up Son has right mindset.

So I am sitting at my office today and on my second monitor I see a tire roll across my front yard. First thought is what the heck. Then I go and replay the video feed from the house and find that an SUV that lives down the road from us had come around the corner where we live and one of the tires had come off the trailer he was pulling, and low and behold it hit my jeep sitting in the driveway, then the trailer that is behind it, and then across the front yard.

I decide, that I better go home and find if it had damaged my Jeep. So while on the way home I pull up the video on the phone and notice a vehicle in the driveway, I hand the phone to my son and while he is watching they apparently get out, get the wheel and tire and put in into their van and drive off.

So when we get home I look over the Jeep and find a nice, not too big of a dent in the passenger side door with a nice scuff mark from the tire. Looking over the rest of it and it looks like that is the only damage.

While I am looking over the Jeep deciding whether to go ahead and head down the road to find the guy and discuss it with him I hear a vehicle coming back down the road towards my house. Just so happens it is the same guy pulling the same trailer, minus one of the 4 wheels on the trailer. I try to flag him down, but he is either not paying attention or intentionally looking to avoid me. So I holler at him to stop. He stops in the road and the van that had come by to retrieve the wheel follows up and stops behind him. I walk up to the drivers door and tell him we need to talk about the dent in my Jeep. He looks at me kind of funny, and a tell him again we need to talk about the dent in my Jeep that was caused by the tire he lost off of his trailer.

He then decides to get out and come take a look.

So while he and I and the guy from the van are looking over the dent, my son is no where to be found. Well he is now sitting back in my truck. The guys say they are new wheels and tires, and the people who put them on didn't do it right and they have a busted wheel ect. I suggest they take their bad wheel to whomever they got the stuff from and explain what happened, and that they may be needing to pay for a dent in a Jeep as well.

We agree to meet at a body shop, apparently someone they know, tomorrow morning to get the dent looked at, shake hands and they head off down the road. On the way back to the office I just so happen to have to drive past this body shop and both of their vehicles are there, so I suppose they were letting the guy know we would be there in the morning.

Anyway, to the whole point of this long drawn out story. I ask my son (12 year old), where were you when I was talking to the two guys. He said, dad, I went to the truck just in case I needed to call 911 if they tried to start something while you were talking to them. He said he didn't know if they might try to beat me up or whatever so he was just ready in case.

I was pretty proud of him for thinking of that. I wasn't overly concerned about getting into a conflict over it myself. If they had been uncooperative, I would have simply told them to go on and we would let the sheriff handle things at a later date.

Glad things appear to be going in the right direction, and glad the son on his own accord was thinking of what if scenarios and preparing for them.
    Arete, Brady, RemMod597 and 26 others like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

good kid
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Very good thinking. Kudos, for the circumspection. These days, you never know. Actually, you never did know, back then, either. Always worth taking basic precautions. Glad to see he's thinking through the possibilities and avoiding handing them opportunity on a platter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Good for junior!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hope you brought him for ice cream after that.
    Brady likes this.

One of those moments that make it all worth while. I hope you told him how proud you are of him.
    ccw9mm likes this.

good for your son. My daughter was about his age when we were leaving the mall and we followed by some rather unsavory types. My daughter looked at me and said, "You have your Glock"? I assured her I did and not to worry. She just simply replied, "good". She's now 23 and has her own guns and concealed weapons license. I predict your son will also be one of the next generation that simply "gets it".
    patri0t likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Sounds like your son has a good head on his shoulders- good for him.
    My home is locked for your protection, not mine...

VIP Member
    Great kid
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

Thank your son for "thinking outside the box". So many would stand there looking at some game on his cell phone, and not caring what's going on around him.
    idodishez likes this.

Distinguished Member Array gary106334's Avatar
    Smart kid. You should keep him.
    Brady likes this.

Great awareness, you've taught him well.

VIP Member
    You're son had your back.

You raised him right, Farronwolf!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Well Done! Sounds like he has had a good upbringing.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Oh, he does play his fair share of video games, and mom let him get a new one for his I pad last night, but I was proud of him for thinking of the what if things went south scenario.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links