House at night - drapes/blinds?

This is a discussion on House at night - drapes/blinds? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have drapes or blinds most places in the house - and most of what we use is ground level as it is sorta ranch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House at night - drapes/blinds?

Assistant Administrator

House at night - drapes/blinds?

We have drapes or blinds most places in the house - and most of what we use is ground level as it is sorta ranch style. I certainly do not want anyone to be able to look in!

I noticed tho this evening as I took a short walk about an hour ago, a nearby house with NO blocking of a view into the living room! OK, from the roadway to house was about 50 yards but heck - I could have sneaked up and peeked in and had I been an armed robber, taken pot shots at the occupants before busting in!

Just struck me as rather risky even tho my area is essentially pretty good - to enable allcomers to get up close and see in, easily! Guess I have a higher paranoia quotient than some
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    too dang cold to leave windows with out curtains .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Guess I have a higher paranoia quotient than some
    Maybe so, but no higher than the rest of us I'd reckon. I can't stand having "open" windows that I can't see out but someone outside can see in. Makes me wonder what people are (or aren't) thinking when they leave their windows like your neighbor.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

that's one of my "pet-peeves." I never leave the curtains/blinds open...I don't want anybody looking in. (OTOH, if they looked in and saw me doing dry-fire and knife drills they might think twice )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

In daytime leaving blinds somewhat canted or drawn open is great for lighting, but at night I do NOT want to live in a lighted "fishbowl" for all to observe...color me cautious.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    Good thoughts P95.
    We have window blinds & I make sure that folks can't see in when evening comes.
    So I can't see out but, I rely on Dog Alert because she hears everything going on outside & all the way out to the street.
    My dogs hearing is downright amazing.

I concur with drawing the shades in the evening. My two dogs are apparently both deaf and dumb, as I usually hear things before they do, at least before bedtime.

Blinds Closed...

during the evening...a light is usually on in several rooms...dogs are always on 'patrol'...(one never misses anyone, even just walking by...the other (the real 125# defender) sleeps (dreaming of food) until the first spots something and calls for his assistance...

Can't be too careful these days!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You make your own security by keeping your blinds shut at night. Theres a lot of people out there who leave their doors unlocked and blinds open. These are the people you read about in the papers who have been robbed.

keep em' closed

the people behind me leave their curtains open wide 24/7 and it's a huge bay window. it's like a reality show sometimes. hell, if not for security, then at least privacy.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    I like the mid window curtains with a valance in the spare bedroom.
    With no lights on in that room I can walk up to the window an see out at night and not be seen.

My wife (the one who won't use a gun) like to open the blinds and the front door (glass storm door) when I am not at home. I come home and close everything up.

Drives me absolutley nuts, as I am the one that locks up everything after I get home, and then periodic checks through out the evening, and then the last thing at night.

My dog is about as worthless as ticks on a hound when it comes to security. If a BG were to throw a couple of biscuits his way, my dog just found a new best friend.

I am the watchdog of the house. The only big problem with it all is that I work on Saturdays, which means that the house is a beacon for all who would wish ill will.

As for how I keep the blinds...usually I keep them closed. I will also crack the blinds open just enough to see out and then watch movement in the neighborhood. The garage windows are tinted, and during the day it is impossible to see in unless you are right at the window. By the time you have got that far, I have seen you and are prepared for whatever may come.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Count that as one of my pet peeves also. I think maybe some just want to show off 'what they have', and others are probably only oblivious to the fact that not so nice people will look in. I don't like knowing that I'm being watched without knowing. How's that last sentence for an oxymoron LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    My wife (the one who won't use a gun) like to open the blinds and the front door (glass storm door) when I am not at home. I come home and close everything up.

Drives me absolutley nuts, as I am the one that locks up everything after I get home, and then periodic checks through out the evening, and then the last thing at night.

My dog is about as worthless as ticks on a hound when it comes to security. If a BG were to throw a couple of biscuits his way, my dog just found a new best friend.

I am the watchdog of the house. The only big problem with it all is that I work on Saturdays, which means that the house is a beacon for all who would wish ill will.

As for how I keep the blinds...usually I keep them closed. I will also crack the blinds open just enough to see out and then watch movement in the neighborhood. The garage windows are tinted, and during the day it is impossible to see in unless you are right at the window. By the time you have got that far, I have seen you and are prepared for whatever may come.
    I have to tell you how my husband cured me of the OPEN BLIND SYNDROME....

When we were newly married, Steve would come home after dark and start lecturing me about the open windows. Being young and stupid (and gunless), I told him no one was out there looking in.

He took me outside, left me there to watch, and went inside to change out of his uniform. Enough said. Instant conversion.
    I watched a video from a concealed weapons class about a woman sitting in front of a window with the blinds open. BG saw her, broke in(with big knife in hand) and attacked. This video may be a good one to show your wife and you could knock out two things at once...open blinds and carrying a gun.
    hope this helps.
    tk

VIP Member
    When we moved to our house, I realized that the rooms facing the street would get very hot due to sunlight. I decided to install that silver-looking window film and an unexpected bonus of that is that it reflects light so much you have to literally press your face against the window to get a glimpse of what's inside. My relaoding bench is against one of those windows and I've been doing my reloads and working on my guns without any shades or blinds and nobody has seen me... and I do have the poster child of nosy neighbors living next door. However, at nightime and if you have a light on inside the room, all bets are off: Blinds go down.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links