Article: I Was Attacked on the Train. No One Helped Me.

This is a discussion on Article: I Was Attacked on the Train. No One Helped Me. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From https://homeguntraining.wordpress.co...one-helped-me/...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Article: I Was Attacked on the Train. No One Helped Me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redsaber75 View Post
    Where is the rest of the story?
    gatorbait51, gen3 and CLASS3NH like this.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    There is another link just above the paragraph quoted.

I was attacked on the D.C. Metro. No one helped me.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The link to the full story was at the top of the page. This is why I dislike indirect links - I always try to post the original, rather than a link to a link to a link.

I was attacked on the D.C. Metro. No one helped me.

My question to the writer of the post: "So, what are you going to do about your helplessness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    My question to the writer of the post: "So, what are you going to do about your helplessness?"

They'll do nothing. It's DC. The land of Do Nothing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    First thing, she seems to be doing, thinking and analyzing. Some folks it takes a bit to come to the same conclusions you or I do.

Now, if she falls back asleep (figuratively speaking) and does nothing else, well, she gets more of the same...
    *WARNING - I may or may not know what I am talking about.

VIP Member
    Well she pretty much sums it up at the end of her article

I don’t want to protect myself at all costs.
    If that's your mentality then you're just a victim waiting for your turn.

It's actually a reasonably well thought out little article. At least she is very open about her conflicted mentality and honestly addresses the fact that were she watching that happen, she probably wouldn't do anything differently from all the people that watched her get assaulted.

At the very least, it sounds like she came out of it a little more street smart with her decisions about earbuds and selecting a place to ride. Maybe that will be enough to keep her safe...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Moderator

At work, reading the coverage at my desk, I think, “I could have stopped it with my pepper spray.” I would like to think that I’d have sprung into action. That I would have been willing to put myself in harm’s way. So does a writer for the Federalist, declaring that the 10 eyewitnesses displayed “not just cowardice but also a callous and unthinking selfishness.” The title of his piece: “Behold, the Beta Males Who Feel Good About Watching a Man Die.”

But in real life, I don’t want—no one wants—to get hurt. Despite my own experience and my lingering fury at the inaction of those around me, I’m not sure I would have acted any differently from those 10 eyewitnesses. If I’d been in that train car, I might have felt just like the woman who tried to become as small as possible. I might have been paralyzed with fear.

Yes, it’s hypocritical. I wish people would have helped me, and I’m not sure I could have mustered the courage to do the same.

I don’t want to be someone so passive and self-preserving that I allow a stranger to be killed right in front of me. I don’t want to protect myself at all costs. But fear is a powerful emotion. And just because we think we are brave doesn’t mean that we are.
    She is in a state of cognitive dissonance. I wish she'd get some training.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

VIP Member
    Nothing, her goodness and caring will shield her from any more harm befalling her. That and her magic shoes.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER, POR QUE EN MI CORAZN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Other people always have the ability to attack you. One should be equipped to deal with an attack, if it comes. But that's hard to do when locked in a moving metal tube in a jurisdiction that denies the right of self-defense. And, of course, why would one expect his or her fellow passengers to be any better equipped and help?

Decent people shouldn't go near Washington, DC, simple as that.
    michael t likes this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

Captain Bellamy

Of course they didn't help! They knew the Government would soon be there to make everything right.
    michael t likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Of course they didn't help! They knew the Government would soon be there to make everything right.

The one irrefutable lesson from that situation: whomever might soon be there won't be soon enough to matter.

Which pretty much puts the burden squarely on everyone's own shoulders. You want to be capable of stopping such heinous things in this world? Then, be capable of it. Remaining incapable serves nobody but the criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sheep talking about being sheep.

No matter how well articulated their fear of being a wolf is, they will forever be a sheep.

A sheep that cowers and cries in the presence of a wolf.

The story reminds me of one that showed up on the forum several months ago where a grown man, (in his 40s), allowed a scrawny punk on the bus to use him as a punching bag and then bemoaned the fact that no one came to help him. The mentality seems to be one of a victim who simply accepts and takes for granted his victimhood or one of someone who just feels entitled to protection provided by someone else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links