Question for LEO's

Question for LEO's

This is a discussion on Question for LEO's within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your dealing with street thugs have you noticed any new trends? For instance robbing crews and the use of tazers or BG's wearing body ...

Thread: Question for LEO's

Question for LEO's

In your dealing with street thugs have you noticed any new trends? For instance robbing crews and the use of tazers or BG's wearing body armor. Anything new on the urban streets that may not have reached out to suburbia yet? Any new gang tactics for robberies that haven't been widely reported.

Administrator
    No, not really anything new. They still operate in packs, and look for crime of opportunity. Their numbers are increasing, and they are getting more and more brutal.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 5th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, not really anything new. They still operate in packs, and look for crime of opportunity. Their numbers are increasing, and they are getting more and more brutal.
    +1 That has pretty much been the standard trend for a long time now.

Also keep in mind that a general question like that will usually only get a general answer like that. LEO's are somewhat guarded about handing out information like that because it can cause the tactic to spread like wild fire. Joe Q. Public has a bad habit of not keeping confidential information confidential.

Had I still been LEO and you came up and asked me that question, that is about the answer I would give you and then refer you to contact the local sherrif's office and become active in the community information that is shared there through official outlets.

Hope that helps.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'm not an LEO. I've been reading plenty of newspapers since 1993 when I became a gun owner, though.

What I have seen in the papers in the last year or two seems to indicate an increase in home invasion robberies, but I have no way of knowing whether that is because of real increases or just increased reporting of them. I also note a spate of police-impersonations, too.

Again, I don't know if it all rises to a level of a "trend" or anything.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I've noticed the same regarding home invasions. I don't know if they're actually increasing, but coverage of them certainly is. To err on the side of caution, I'd assume home invasions are on the upswing.

Call me crazy, but is the uplift in 'home invasions' or the reporting as such, only because they never used to be called that? To me that is a catch-phrase that came to be in the past 5 years or so.

About the same, only this time of year, More visitors from
    up north, More home invasions.

And traffic fatalities always go up.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    +1 Ron! We do indeed "import" a lot of activity. And Spring Break's in full-swing on Panama City Beach right now. They're predicting 60 to 80,000 over the next several weeks doing all manner of things they'd never do back home.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, alcohol/drugs are almost always a factor in crime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    +1 Ron! We do indeed "import" a lot of activity. And Spring Break's in full-swing on Panama City Beach right now. They're predicting 60 to 80,000 over the next several weeks doing all manner of things they'd never do back home.
    Just think about the money they bring in!

There has been up tick in the violence in MN due to people migrating here for the "checks" from Chicago, Milwaukee and KC.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I live here in Panama City Beach, on the beach. God, don't go to Wally World for the next few weeks. Nothing but Spring Breakers everywhere (Though the ones in bikinis are fun to watch). Bad side of this is that we have drunk kids up and down the beach all night long. I have had a few run-ins with them. They see the Walther on my side and back-off fast. Kids now days just seem "not to bright". Back when I came down here on Spring Berak (mid 70's) we didn't bother the locals living here. Did the bars, found a girl, off to a dark spot on the beach and did our thing, left. Seems like all the kids now want to make sure everyone around knows they are here as loud as they can.

Administrator
    One thing that came to mind tonight as I was driving around in circles is this; The last few years the thug kids have been dressing in a uniform of sorts... Yup a uniform. Around here its the huge white T shirt, dark blue "Dickies" work pants and boots. (of course the waist is around the knees)
    If you think about it, its pretty smart. Lets say theres a mugging crew working the local mall. Victim gets mugged, whats the description going to be? 4 16-20 year old males wearing the described "uniform". Good luck in picking out those needles in the haystack.
    Also, the younger they are the quicker they are to shoot at you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Victim gets mugged, whats the description going to be? 4 16-20 year old males wearing the described "uniform". Good luck in picking out those needles in the haystack.
    Also, the younger they are the quicker they are to shoot at you.

Just be ready to shoot first, that's all. Then they're easy to describe.
    "I was attacked by a young male with the bullet holes in him, officer."

"Did you see which way he took off?"

"Yeah, he went four steps that way, and collapsed. See? There he is. Don't slip in the blood, officer."
    Last edited by Gary Brommeland; March 8th, 2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: removal of inflammatory description

Unfortunately, other than here on the Internet where you can say that, in REAL life, you would probably miss a lot of work and miss a lot of time with your family IF you did what you described.

You can't just shoot someone and tell the cops, "oops, there he is" without (at a minimum) getting arrested, losing weeks of work, forking over your life savings to a criminal defense lawyer, and taking a 3rd and 4th mortgage on your home...

The scarry trend around here, which truthfully doesnt see the amount of crime large cities get, is violent crime perpetrated by military and law enforcement officers. We had a love triangle go bad not to far back where a cop shot someone who was dating his exgf, then there was a stabbing at a school dance by a gi who belonged to a gang as well as the army.

I know and believe coming from a lawenforcement family that the majority of cops are good guys! so please i am not trashing law enforcement. I myself had wanted to be a state trooper in my youth. But it is a bit scarry when those you count on to protect your life are doing these things.

Im sure you big city types are used to this but living in what used to be a quiet small town area the recent growth has caused some major rises in crime.

It isnt uncommon now to be out in the woods huntin and find a meth lab ect. I myself stumbled across some stuff one night in the woods and was chased out by some crazy guy who was after us for coming too close to his shack. Thou this happened some years ago.

I guess my round about point is that criminals can be very unpredictable in the way they look, act and do. I dont know if anyone can really predict what trends will continue in the future or what means criminals will employ.

Sponsored Links