Securing my domicile

This is a discussion on Securing my domicile within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would never recommend or NOT recommend anything, but do a google search on "house alarm pepper spray" and you might find something useful. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Securing my domicile

I would never recommend or NOT recommend anything, but do a google search on "house alarm pepper spray" and you might find something useful. I don't know the legal implications or medical implications being in a multiple unit domicile, so please investigate further.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    before I give my answer, I got questions...

How do you know it was you upstairs neighbor?
    Are you positive it was him/her?
    What do you have that is attracting them?
    Why was there no arrests made if it is known that it was the neighbor?
    caught him twice. The PD didn't really want to do anything about it because he had "excuse" why he was trying to get in. I'm not sure that I want to get the PD to involved because one night (0200) he was stomping around, thumping and making noise ect and I went and knocked on his door to ask him to stop, he never came to the door so I just went back to my apartment and watched tv, 20 minutes later PD shows up because he told them I was trying to break into his apartment. Thus I'm trying to avoid contact with the guy. The landlord knows him and swears he's "harmless", eventhough he has a state social worker because he is short a truckload of bricks. The lock has stripped itself out of the dryrotted door.

So, I'm looking for a motion sensor and maybe a security camera for the back door so I don't get any surprises from the guy, again a dog isn't an option.

Being a cheap jerk that I am and not to worried about loosing my ancient tv, I just don't want to be awakened by a Norman Bates wanna be.
    Last edited by Dakotaranger; March 9th, 2007 at 11:57 PM.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

If you're primarily worried about him entering when you're home, I'd think about an alarm that goes off when the door is opened. The noise alone might scare him off and if not, you can arrange to meet 'Norman Bates' with firearm in hand.

Sorry brother. "Cheap Jerk" that you are (your words, not mine), you have a lot of options to secure your home. If your door frame is damaged, I'd suggest that you get your landlord to replace it pronto.

Before you spend any money on motion detecors, etc., fix the door, the frame and the lock. Secure your premises. That's the priority. If you're to cheap to do that, or your landlord is too cheap to do it, then it's time for all of us to move on from this subject.

If you have spoken to your landlord about the problem, and have documentation to back up your complaints, legal action in the form of free local legal services (many communities offer legal services for folks that can't afford the charging lawyers), state agencies, local agencies, somebody out there can help.

I believe there's more to this story then what this forum has read. You may need to do a gut check and take appropriate action to solve this problem. I don't know too many people that would allow this problem to continue to fester.

I've tried to a couple of times to get him to fix the door, I have a copy of a letter I sent, the most I got out of him was the padlock latch.

I guess I am looking for suggestions for door sensors. (which means I should have just given more of Readers Digest version of what's going on than I did.)

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Cheap Security Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I couldn't figure out which catagory this fits under more than this.

For the second time in six months my upstairs neighbor decided to come into my appartment. I've tried to get my landlord to replace the door and door frame , but had no, luck so I settled for a padlock latch, which works for when I'm not home .

After the second break-in I've put an interior latch.
    I've reported the break-in to the landlord and the PD. But since I'm cheap and have way to many bills, I can't really afford to leave.

I'm looking for more suggestions on what to do to secure my place.

I'm thinking about an exterior security camera, and a cheap motion sensor I can put on my doors but I needs a suggestion on which sensors are good and cheap.
    Try www.selfdefenseproducts.com. J&L has some nifty cameras, some at reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalMonkey View Post
    Try www.selfdefenseproducts.com. J&L has some nifty cameras, some at reasonable prices.
    Thanks, just ordered a couple of motion sensors. Just about what I wanted to spend on them.

Administrator

Your landlord refuses to repair your door & you have a "crazy" that repeatedly breaks into your apartment.
    Well, if he can get in then anyone else can EASILY get in also.
    I would say the motion sensing alarm sould be an extremely temporary fix until you get the heck out of there.
    To me (and based on information you've provided above) your "living quarters" situation is all messed up and it's big trouble just waiting to happen.
    I personally would move out & pronto.
    Honestly, just the landlord refusing to install a secure entry door would be grounds for me to move out immediately.

Your landlord is providing an unsafe environment. Four walls and an open door do not constitute habitable living arrangements except in slums. All sorts of agencies would love to meet this guy and see what's going on, I'm sure. Be aware that he might well throw you out for the pain and suffering you cause, but it's your right to demand he do his job and get the door fixed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This site www.homesecuritystore.com
    is the mecca of all home security. If you didn't want to actually put an alarm system in, you could buy the decals and put one on your door. They have a forum to ask questions to also. I put my own wired/wireless system in my home so if you have any questions let me know.

The link I am providing above is to a wireless system that can call you when it is set off. Being in an apartment, I think wireless is the way to go.

If it were me, I would fix the door myself... just for self preservation and peace of mind.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

First, and best option: MOVE! Instead of spending any more money on this dump, find somewhere else to live. Like someone mentioned, there's no way you can't break a lease if the guy won't fix your door.

Second, if you're home, block the door with a 2 x 4 brace, or a pipe, as has been mentioned. If you're not home, you've already got the padlock.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Years ago I had a friend that let his pet 9 foot long red-tailed boa constrictor run all over his apartment, and the landlord never knew about it. The snake was quite impressive, and strong as an ox. They are more aggressive than your garden variety ball boa. He only had to feed it twice a month too, usually guinea pigs or rabbits. He lived in a bad part of town (east L.A.), but never had any problems.
    Feed it a rotten neighbor, should not have to feed for a couple of months!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Someone mentioned an X-10 camera. That is one option, but not what I usually tell people in apartments to use. But, what I do recommend is from the same company- and happens to be on sale right now.

For $120 you can get an alarm (that also does some home automation) that will make a loud noise and call up to four preprogramed numbers with a prerecorded message. No monthly fees, you can install it yourself, and your home will be protected the same day the box shows up. (Took me about 20 minutes to install one.)

http://www.x10.com/products/ds7000e_...0116_1002.html
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links