Defensive Carry banner

Securing my domicile

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Echo_Four 
#1 ·
I couldn't figure out which catagory this fits under more than this.

For the second time in six months my upstairs neighbor decided to come into my appartment. I've tried to get my landlord to replace the door and door frame:rant: :rant: :banned: :banned: , but had no, luck so I settled for a padlock latch, which works for when I'm not home:banned: .

After the second break-in I've put an interior latch.
I've reported the break-in to the landlord and the PD. But since I'm cheap and have way to many bills, I can't really afford to leave.

I'm looking for more suggestions on what to do to secure my place.

I'm thinking about an exterior security camera, and a cheap motion sensor I can put on my doors but I needs a suggestion on which sensors are good and cheap.

#2 ·
With an X10 wireless videocam hooked to a cheap VCR/DVD-R in the attic, you can get it all on film. Of course, if the burglar is masked you get nothing; if the VCR is stolen, you get nothing. And even if you film it, you're still violated. No way around that except to have a hardened perimeter, but that is expensive.

#4 ·
Landlord says no.

#5 ·
apartments arent normally canine friendly, on more than one level.

i know this isnt a politically/socially acceptable answer, but...

you need to catch this guy in your apartment, and send a very, very appropriate message, involving a baseball bat, golf club, or other equivalent blunt instrument.

you can secure that door all you want, if someone wants in, theyll get in.

#7 ·
Or several blunt instruments in the 9mm to .45 variety (repeat as necessary)--because you are in fear for your life, right?

#8 ·
#9 ·
Years ago I had a friend that let his pet 9 foot long red-tailed boa constrictor run all over his apartment, and the landlord never knew about it. The snake was quite impressive, and strong as an ox. They are more aggressive than your garden variety ball boa. He only had to feed it twice a month too, usually guinea pigs or rabbits. He lived in a bad part of town (east L.A.), but never had any problems.

#10 ·
before I give my answer, I got questions...

How do you know it was you upstairs neighbor?
Are you positive it was him/her?
What do you have that is attracting them?
Why was there no arrests made if it is known that it was the neighbor?

#14 ·
SIXTO Was Reading My Mind...

All of the above, plus...
How do you know... the neighbor...what was taken or moved?
Why would he want to come into your place?

How did he get in? A key? Broken molding? A Window?
Special note...wipe your doorknob clean and use a glove or cloth to close it...then his prints may be the only thing on the doorknob if police are interested in 'dusting' it...

If he just walks in while you're there...pull your gun, and point it at him, and yell, "Stop...get on the ground...DO IT NOW!...call 911 immediately..."Please help, a man just tried to break into my apartment, and I think he 'might' live in the neighborhood or possibly...upstairs somewhere (multi-units?).

You will not get into trouble pulling your gun on an intruder in your own home...but call the police immediately...immediately!
He may also call the police to say that you pulled a gun on him...while he tried to get into your apartment...(if he's stupid that is...sounds like he is!)

I would be very concerned about an individual bold enough to walk into your place (you being home or not).

I trust that this guy is not like 'Kramer' in Seinfeld...and there should be no reason he feels comfortable just walking in...:buttkick:

Sounds like a real weirdo...be careful!

Stay armed...stay same

ret:urla9ub:

#11 ·
You can try this.

Make about a 6 inch deep hole behind your door thats in the floor about 4 inches behind your door. This alows you stick some type of vertical metal rod through the floor, about 4 inches in diameter straight down acting as a reinforced door stop.

If your a little crafty. And you have a loud stero or boom box. Record on a tape the racking of a 12 gauge shotgun, and if your door opens rig it to hit play and bingo. It may be some what of a deterant.

#15 ·
Circuit City sells a real inexpensive infra-red motion sensing alarm with a tiny remote shutoff.
It's about 25.00 (I think) It operates on batteries. You can position it to cover your door when you're asleep.

Since you're covered with the padlock when you're not home then you just need to be alerted when you're sleeping.

If you're home and some unknown stranger enters your residence/living quarters without your permission - I'd club him over the head with a ball bat first and ask questions later.

#18 ·
If you're primarily worried about him entering when you're home, I'd think about an alarm that goes off when the door is opened. The noise alone might scare him off and if not, you can arrange to meet 'Norman Bates' with firearm in hand.

#19 ·
Sorry brother. "Cheap Jerk" that you are (your words, not mine), you have a lot of options to secure your home. If your door frame is damaged, I'd suggest that you get your landlord to replace it pronto.

Before you spend any money on motion detecors, etc., fix the door, the frame and the lock. Secure your premises. That's the priority. If you're to cheap to do that, or your landlord is too cheap to do it, then it's time for all of us to move on from this subject.

If you have spoken to your landlord about the problem, and have documentation to back up your complaints, legal action in the form of free local legal services (many communities offer legal services for folks that can't afford the charging lawyers), state agencies, local agencies, somebody out there can help.

I believe there's more to this story then what this forum has read. You may need to do a gut check and take appropriate action to solve this problem. I don't know too many people that would allow this problem to continue to fester.

#20 ·
I've tried to a couple of times to get him to fix the door, I have a copy of a letter I sent, the most I got out of him was the padlock latch.

I guess I am looking for suggestions for door sensors. (which means I should have just given more of Readers Digest version of what's going on than I did.)

#22 ·
#23 ·
Your landlord refuses to repair your door & you have a "crazy" that repeatedly breaks into your apartment.
Well, if he can get in then anyone else can EASILY get in also.
I would say the motion sensing alarm sould be an extremely temporary fix until you get the heck out of there.
To me (and based on information you've provided above) your "living quarters" situation is all messed up and it's big trouble just waiting to happen.
I personally would move out & pronto.
Honestly, just the landlord refusing to install a secure entry door would be grounds for me to move out immediately.

#24 ·
Your landlord is providing an unsafe environment. Four walls and an open door do not constitute habitable living arrangements except in slums. All sorts of agencies would love to meet this guy and see what's going on, I'm sure. Be aware that he might well throw you out for the pain and suffering you cause, but it's your right to demand he do his job and get the door fixed.

#25 ·
This site www.homesecuritystore.com
is the mecca of all home security. If you didn't want to actually put an alarm system in, you could buy the decals and put one on your door. They have a forum to ask questions to also. I put my own wired/wireless system in my home so if you have any questions let me know.

The link I am providing above is to a wireless system that can call you when it is set off. Being in an apartment, I think wireless is the way to go.

If it were me, I would fix the door myself... just for self preservation and peace of mind.

#26 ·
First, and best option: MOVE! Instead of spending any more money on this dump, find somewhere else to live. Like someone mentioned, there's no way you can't break a lease if the guy won't fix your door.

Second, if you're home, block the door with a 2 x 4 brace, or a pipe, as has been mentioned. If you're not home, you've already got the padlock.

#28 ·
Someone mentioned an X-10 camera. That is one option, but not what I usually tell people in apartments to use. But, what I do recommend is from the same company- and happens to be on sale right now.

For $120 you can get an alarm (that also does some home automation) that will make a loud noise and call up to four preprogramed numbers with a prerecorded message. No monthly fees, you can install it yourself, and your home will be protected the same day the box shows up. (Took me about 20 minutes to install one.)

http://www.x10.com/products/ds7000e_ed_3d2k_0116_1002.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.