Saw a friend being mugged but had a 2 year old with you what do you do.

This is a discussion on Saw a friend being mugged but had a 2 year old with you what do you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gotammo his whole wolrd may be in bag but mine is in the carseat. I have to agree with this. Stuff can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw a friend being mugged but had a 2 year old with you what do you do.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    his whole wolrd may be in bag but mine is in the carseat.

I have to agree with this. Stuff can be replaced.

2. Remove Ads

Sad to see, but it's only STUFF and he wasn't hurt. But look out for your own first, number one rule.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Not knowing the exact layout of the area, and based on your description of the guys involved, I would probably have driven the car over to the location of the three guys, and got out of the car, locked car doors if possible, grabbed the bag from the two guys and gave it back to the handicapped person and sent him on his way.

Some of you may think this is really stupid, but based on the description of the two guys, they were in no way going to stand up to an able bodied person, when they were looking to give a handicapped person a hard time.

Go for it now and tell me how dumb this is but that is what I would have done. I help out sometimes with Persons with disabilities, and I am sorry, if your going to try to take advantage of one around me, your probably going to be in a world of hurt.

Adding
    I don't have a 2 yr old any more, he is 4, but under the circumstances desribed, I see no threat to the child. Only a couple of punks taking advantage of a less fortunate person. Not meaning to start any flaming, but seeing some sheepish reactions to this thread.
    Last edited by farronwolf; March 22nd, 2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I also have a two year old. He comes FIRST. Period. Before ANYONE.. including myself or my wife. Hands down.

In this case I would try to be a good witness for the LEO's.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

FAMILT FIRST, do doubt. But that doesn't mean you can't be the best witness there is. Get a good look and remember as much detail as you can and tell the cops. Height, Weight, Race, features, clothes, direction etc. etc. If you confronted them alone, who knows, the group encouraging them could have come down on you.

The two year old comes first. I can't believe the other people didn't do some thing to help the victim. I guess thats the way some people are. They probley thought it was funny. The way I was brought up you were taught to help people in a jam out.

Just another thought about your friend being mugged by two punks. Sooner ore later these punks will get whats comming to them. What goes around will come around when they least expect it.

Agreed Tom, be it in this life or the next...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

At work a firearm is to protect me and society.

Off Duty, my firearm is to protect me and my family. I would do no more than be a good witness and summon help. What if you did decide to intervene? Lets just say that the "Punks", as you described them, crippled you and left you unable to work. Who then would care for your 2 y/o and provide food, shelter and love?

You would, IMHO, be shirking your responsibilities to that 2 y/o if that happened. It's nice to try and be a hero, but in reality there are no heros, just people doing what needs to be done under impossible conditions. Also, you do not know all the circumstances that led to this altercation. How do you know the "Punks' weren't hassling this person because he sold them parsley instead of marijuana?

By the way, the "HEROS" have their picture and/or name on a wall. I do not wish to have my name or picture on that wall.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Not knowing the exact layout of the area, and based on your description of the guys involved, I would probably have driven the car over to the location of the three guys, and got out of the car, locked car doors if possible, grabbed the bag from the two guys and gave it back to the handicapped person and sent him on his way.

Some of you may think this is really stupid, but based on the description of the two guys, they were in no way going to stand up to an able bodied person, when they were looking to give a handicapped person a hard time.

Go for it now and tell me how dumb this is but that is what I would have done. I help out sometimes with Persons with disabilities, and I am sorry, if your going to try to take advantage of one around me, your probably going to be in a world of hurt.

Adding
    I don't have a 2 yr old any more, he is 4, but under the circumstances desribed, I see no threat to the child. Only a couple of punks taking advantage of a less fortunate person. Not meaning to start any flaming, but seeing some sheepish reactions to this thread.
    I hear where you're coming from. The two deserve a royal butt whupin' but I can't get past the 2 year old in this equation.

These two that don't look too dangerous could have knives or a concealed gun or just be a lot "badder" than they look.

Children believe that their parents can protect them from anything. As a parent, I did my best to do just that. My daughter is now 29 and would most likely have gotten out of the car to try to kick the crap out of the bad guys but when she was 2, my duty first and foremost would be to keep her from harm.

I could not in good conscience accept even a slight risk to her safety.

I know some will find this hard to believe since I have indicated in several posts that I prefer action to inaction but my overall belief is that whatever you do, you need to assess risks as well as you can given the very short reaction time. Then decide what you are willing to live with.

This one for me is easy. No one gets near my little angel.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

It is amazing how your life changes, in a positve way, when you have kids. You also look at life differently along with other situations like the one you described.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links