Saw a friend being mugged but had a 2 year old with you what do you do.

This is a discussion on Saw a friend being mugged but had a 2 year old with you what do you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all i have one for you. A few years ago i was sitting in a parking garage with my 2 year old daughter . ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw a friend being mugged but had a 2 year old with you what do you do.

Hey all i have one for you. A few years ago i was sitting in a parking garage with my 2 year old daughter . I dont have a wepon of anykind, or a cell phone. I see across the street a guy i know. Hes a little wierd possibly mentally handicapped. I see two guys take his back pack and are yelling at him. He keeps approching like hes asking for it back. But they keep pointing up the strret liek they are telling him to go.

I know this guys whole life is in that bag as i used to know him well. The two guys look like punks. But i could have torn them apart. He on the other hand wheighs about 110 lbs at 6ft, and isnt a fighter.

Im watching this wanting to run over saying to myself come on hunny come out so i can stop them. Looking up i see a group of people on the companys deck yelling fight yeah mess him up kinda stuff. Im hoping that the security guard of the building called the cops. I know there are camaras catching this. But still no cops.

Finally i see them walk off with his bag and he in the other direction. About 5 mins later the cops show up to find no one. Then they drive off. Finally my wife returns and i tell her what i saw, she tells me the security guard was up there watchign liek it was funny with the rest.

What would you guys do. Your in your car 2 year old int he back a couple levels up in a parking garage no phone close by, no wepons.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    You take care of your two-year-old.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    Yup
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Family first. Everyone else has to form a line at the rear.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

that was how i felt at the time if my wife had come out i would have ran over there. But i couldnt put my family in danger, i mean he wasnt actually hurt, just had his stuff taken by some punks obviously only messing with him cause he was weak. Im sure 220 lbs would have resulted with me walking away with thier stuff. But it somethign i think of from time to time and feel guilty about not helping him. I could have got the babey, ran up the steps to the door and tried to get security to buzz me in to call the cops, but by that time it would have been over. It seemed like a long time but was really only a couple of minutes.

his whole wolrd may be in bag but mine is in the carseat.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    As the father of a 2 year old, and another on the way:

Take care of your 2 year old.

I know its tough, especially when you know you can help, but that child is completely dependant on your protection. If you violate that, and something happened to your child would you be able to live with yourself? I couldn't.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    You feel bad now? Think of how much worse you'd feel if you heroically saved the guys knapsack and then quickly returned to find an empty car.
    Take care of your own first. Be a good witness.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Simple decision: absolutely.

Now, if a gathering of nuns were to be walking by and could temporarily move to safety with my child, then I would strongly consider moving in to assist. Close family and friends deserve every opportunity to live. Though, with the likelihood of a nun's gathering coming by in the next 10 seconds being so low, I'd evac with the child.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    his whole wolrd may be in bag but mine is in the carseat.
    ditto to this.. no kids here but this is my thinking

Sad situation, but even if armed to the teeth, the 2 year old is #1 priority.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Child first.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Child first, and

From reading the post, it doesn't sound like the victim was in danger of physical harm. At least he didn't end up injured. Interjecting yourself into the situation could possibly have escalated things. Just a thought....YMMV

Pete
    Sprinfield XD 4" .45 Compact
    Blackhawk SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    It's a hard and unfair dog eat dog world out there where at times people will even eat their young.
    My mom told me this back when I was like 7 or 8, upon giving me a small folding pocket knife for self defense while walking to and from school.

BG you are dead on even as it would be very uncomfortable to watch this kind of thing go down.

Just think what would a water buffalo do?
    Would it leave it's own child or bring it with them in order to fight off a pair of hyena attacking a fellow buffalo?
    Nope...not that it enjoys seeing their friend going down but priorities are just that and children come first.

At best I'd maybe follow the two BGs in my car while also looking out for a pay phone as we go which these days seem to have become rarer than common sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Take care of your family first...
    Buy a cell phone...
    Get a gun...and learn how to use it...

Next time, those punks may just want to hassle YOUR family, what then? (No phone...No weapon?)...plan ahead!

You said you knew some of the individuals? Did you talk with the police?

Get prepared...Stay armed...stay safe!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links