Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario?

This is a discussion on Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in L.A., and I like to ride my bike to work , No you don't. I always carry a concealed and licensed revolver. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario?

I live in L.A., and I like to ride my bike to work
    No you don't.
    I always carry a concealed and licensed revolver.
    No you don't.
    One day, a mugger charges out of an alley beside the street, which is empty except for me.
    He is about 50 feet away and quickly closing...this guy could run!

Did he have a neon sign stating his intention? You are certainly an expert at BG identification.
    My speed and his angle were such that I knew I couldn't outrun him. So I stopped the bike, rolled off the seat behind the bike and drew the revolver.
    No time to change into a lower gear and pedal, but plenty of time to dismount and draw?
    I always fill my revolver with soft lead points.
    Fully jacketed rounds tend to penetrate very deep at incredible velocity, causing damage that is usually fatal.
    Soft points penetrate only about an inch and expand, stopping quickly.
    This causes incredible pain but is rarely fatal.

You are on drugs.
    I saw a guy on here say that it is wise to kill an attacker if you must shoot him. That's not true at all.
    Please don't give advice on matters that you do not understand.
    Anyway, the guy keeps coming, as if he thinks he's bulletproof.
    I fire a round into his stomach. He cries in pain but keeps coming, a little slower.
    This guy's tough.
    Two more rounds and he's on the ground, unconscious.
    I called the police on my cellular immediately, also requesting paramedics.
    I didn't want to hurt this guy in the first place; now I could at least get him to a hospital.

Yes you did, admit it, in your fantasy world you carry a gun to inflict damage.
    There happened to be a witness, a poor but honest teenager who I didn't see walking bye.
    He saw the whole thing, and with his greatly appreciated help I got out of court with no legal trouble whatsoever.

He told you he was honest I presume. And told the DA and Judge, so they all wrapped up the case in 10 minutes and you all went out for a milkshake.
    The guy lived, is now in jail, and I suffered no emotional or legal troubles that would be experienced if I had killed him, using conventional fully-jacketed rounds.
    Fantasy world.
    What's the moral of the story?
    If you want personal defense, carry a small revolver with soft-point rounds.
    They have fantastic "stopping power" but will almost never kill a person.

Scratch that, the moral is that your advice is worth less than I paid for it, zero.
    Sometimes it is wise to load two chambers with fully-jacketed rounds so that you have extra power if necessary.
    This is one of the advantages of revolvers: it is possible to strategically load the chambers with different types of rounds, then quickly select a type appropriate to the application.
    I don't recommend carrying blanks, either.
    They will fend off many criminals, but as in my case some seem to think they are invincible.
    When they find out you have blanks, they will hasten the attack with even less fear and you will be helpless.
    Carry soft-points and shoot them up in the air if you think only a scare will be necessary.

Never, ever fire into the air. It wastes ammo and endangers others.
    If this fails, it usually takes only 1 or 2 rounds to stop a criminal.
    As we all know, the in a self defense situation, the goal is not to kill the attacker, but to do whatever it takes to stop the impending attack.

The goal is to stop the threat, nobody tries to do that with extreme kindness.
    Many times, this results in the death of the attacker.
    Full metal jacket rounds tend to over-penetrate while jacketed hollow points and (to a lesser degree) soft points tend to expand causing a larger wound cavity, greatly increasing the chance of stopping the attack and decreasing the possibility of over-penetration.

You're done? Good, that was a valuable lesson to us all, I feel a lot more confident in MY skills after having read about yours.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    How about:

My speed and his angle were such that I knew I couldn't outrun him.

Let's see, the mugger comes out of an alley which would be perpendicular to the street. If the guy runs out as the motorcycle approaches, and the guy is fifty feet away, it the shouldn't be a contest.

If the guy comes out fifty feet in front of the motorcycle, change directions and ride off.

Are we supposed to believe the guy has time to stop and park his motorcycle, and get behind it but he can't out run the guy????

Fully jacketed rounds tend to penetrate very deep at incredible velocity, causing damage that is usually fatal.
    Soft points penetrate only about an inch and expand, stopping quickly. This causes incredible pain but is rarely fatal.

Well, FMJ rounds do penetrate deeply, but are often ineffective as a quick fight stopper. Soft points penetrate only and inch??? BS. JHP rounds are designed to penetrate 12 - 14 inches.

If you want personal defense, carry a small revolver... Why would a medium size revolver not suffice?

...with soft-point rounds. They have fantastic "stopping power" but will almost never kill a person.
    BS for reasons previously stated.

This is one of the advantages of revolvers: it is possible to strategically load the chambers with different types of rounds, then quickly select a type appropriate to the application.
    BS, I can just see the indexing marks on the cylinder to line up what kind of round you want while the guy is clubbing you to a pulp.

The rest is pretty much wrong also - shooting in the air? Your life is in danger and you shoot in the air? Shooting in the ground would be wrong too, but at least the bullet wouldn't go flying off to who knows where.

Administrator
    Dang 0.02 and tangle, ripping it up!

How about just the fact that it there is a known danger (the neighborhood) ignoring the danger and the likely problem to come and continue to ride through that neighborhood. Thats the biggest "problem" I see, besides the entire story being BS.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was working on the assumption he was on a bicycle, I didn't acknowledge that it might be a motorcycle.
    I don't think this chump would know how to fill a motorbike up with gas though, never mind hold on when it got up above 30mph.

Yep. A 9th grader writing a creative essay. 100% fiction I suspect.

My BS-meter is pegged...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    Yep. A 9th grader writing a creative essay. 100% fiction I suspect.
    If it is a 9th grade essay, this kids getting kicked out of school, but thats another topic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If it is a 9th grade essay, this kids getting kicked out of school, but thats another topic.
    Or '9th grader Myspace entry' isnt that what the kids are doing these days? lol

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    He fails to mention that he's using a .22 CB cap.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Administrator

Thumbs up LOL

You guys got it ALL covered Now!

I just couldn't believe it when I came across that gem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Can we say (teen) Walter Mitty
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You guys got it ALL covered Now!

I just couldn't believe it when I came across that gem.
    Where? I would take three guesses, but I'm sure they would be deleted........

G L O C _ T A L _

Can I have a K please?

No site war intended, they have their crowd and we have ours, I'm sure some people would find it unbearable here with how civil we all are.

He forgot the part where the mugger turned into a Red Dragon and he pulled out his Helm of Destruction and +3 Long Sword to "stop the attacker"

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

VIP Member
    I read it twice, and couldn't find anything CORRECT in the story. This kid gets an F for his creative writing paper, based solely on his utter lack of research. The bad thing is, he'll probably write a blockbuster screenplay next year based on this, complete with the 1" penetrating soft points and the instantly deadly FMJs...

In the words of that great philosopher and judge of character, Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links