Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario?

This is a discussion on Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actual Scenario Found On The Web. I live in L.A., and I like to ride my bike to work, which is only about three miles ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario?

Administrator

Question Can You Find ANY Incorrect Info. In This Scenario?

Actual Scenario Found On The Web.

I live in L.A., and I like to ride my bike to work, which is only about three miles away.
    Unfortunately, to do so I have to go through the "bad part" of town. Not only is it graffiti city, it's also mugger central.
    For this reason, I always carry a concealed and licensed revolver. One day, a mugger charges out of an alley beside the street, which is empty except for me.
    He is about 50 feet away and quickly closing...this guy could run!
    He had a nasty looking club in his right hand.
    My speed and his angle were such that I knew I couldn't outrun him. So I stopped the bike, rolled off the seat behind the bike and drew the revolver.
    I always fill my revolver with soft lead points.
    Fully jacketed rounds tend to penetrate very deep at incredible velocity, causing damage that is usually fatal.
    Soft points penetrate only about an inch and expand, stopping quickly.
    This causes incredible pain but is rarely fatal.
    I saw a guy on here say that it is wise to kill an attacker if you must shoot him. That's not true at all.
    Anyway, the guy keeps coming, as if he thinks he's bulletproof.
    I fire a round into his stomach. He cries in pain but keeps coming, a little slower.
    This guy's tough.
    Two more rounds and he's on the ground, unconscious.
    I called the police on my cellular immediately, also requesting paramedics.
    I didn't want to hurt this guy in the first place; now I could at least get him to a hospital.
    There happened to be a witness, a poor but honest teenager who I didn't see walking bye.
    He saw the whole thing, and with his greatly appreciated help I got out of court with no legal trouble whatsoever.
    The guy lived, is now in jail, and I suffered no emotional or legal troubles that would be experienced if I had killed him, using conventional fully-jacketed rounds.
    What's the moral of the story?
    If you want personal defense, carry a small revolver with soft-point rounds.
    They have fantastic "stopping power" but will almost never kill a person.
    Sometimes it is wise to load two chambers with fully-jacketed rounds so that you have extra power if necessary.
    This is one of the advantages of revolvers: it is possible to strategically load the chambers with different types of rounds, then quickly select a type appropriate to the application.
    I don't recommend carrying blanks, either.
    They will fend off many criminals, but as in my case some seem to think they are invincible.
    When they find out you have blanks, they will hasten the attack with even less fear and you will be helpless.
    Carry soft-points and shoot them up in the air if you think only a scare will be necessary.
    If this fails, it usually takes only 1 or 2 rounds to stop a criminal.
    As we all know, the in a self defense situation, the goal is not to kill the attacker, but to do whatever it takes to stop the impending attack.
    Many times, this results in the death of the attacker.
    Full metal jacket rounds tend to over-penetrate while jacketed hollow points and (to a lesser degree) soft points tend to expand causing a larger wound cavity, greatly increasing the chance of stopping the attack and decreasing the possibility of over-penetration.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I find it interesting that the guy lives in Los Angeles CA where hardly anyone there does have a license to carry a concealed handgun, not to mention, he states that he suffered no emotional or legal troubles.

Administrator

Thumbs up OK Good Start

There ARE more.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Not having legal trouble with hollow points in CA, firing in the air to scare the BG, having a concealed permit in CA, wasn't able to ride his bike out of danger faster than a guy running I have to question.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    Good! - there are more.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    "soft points", i guess he means jsp, only penetrate an inch and rarely kill?? ouch. the entire thing is made-up fantasy. "quickly select rounds" in a revolver for the purpose at hand?? i could go on..
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

"One day, a mugger charges out of an alley beside the street, which is empty except for me. "
    "There happened to be a witness, a poor but honest teenager who I didn't see walking bye." Little contradiction there.

I'm far to tired at this point to find any more.

Thumbs down

If anything the full jacketed rounds would tend to pass through and would have less of a chance of killing the attacker. The two shots in the air is not a good idea. If he had a chance to get off his bike and fire two rounds he could have easily out run the mugger. He must have been on a bicycle if this is true. The witness sounds a little fishy too.

This sounds like a lot of Baloney,Tall Tails of the West(LA that is)!

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a 14 year old kid that never gets out of the house and dosent know his Daddy, writing the article with information gleaned from some computer game.

Theres so much wrong with it why bother ?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The results of the sniff test are in: This story fails.

That has to be one of the best written trolls ever!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Reads like a fantasy-gamer script. Check out the link:
    http://www.pmulcahy.com/pistols/austrian_pistols.htm

Close, but no cigar.

Well, hmm. He doesn't recommend carrying blanks. I can agree with that!
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

first off, i don't believe in not shooting to kill. dead people don't press charges (and what are the odds of depending on an honest witness). if i am forced to draw it's because i want to stop it as quickly as possible. if the BG didn't like that, he should have thought of that before.
    i also thought the same for carry in CA. have no legal trouble carrying in a no carry state? hm.
    I'm taking a stab at this point. select rounds for your revolver? it seems if you have time to set phasers from stun to kill then back again, you have time to select other options other than drawing your weapon in the first place.
    ... and carry blanks?
    What's this button do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links