SHTF? - Page 4

SHTF?

This is a discussion on SHTF? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Zombies are easy to deal with. Just shoot for the head and they will stay down. If you guys would pay attention while watching " ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SHTF?

Zombies are easy to deal with. Just shoot for the head and they will stay down. If you guys would pay attention while watching " Night of the Dead" you would know this.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Zombies are easy to deal with. Just shoot for the head and they will stay down. If you guys would pay attention while watching " Night of the Dead" you would know this.
    I said that...two posts ago. Pay attention!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    SHTF: In levels of danger

1) Sharon Harris Power plant meltdown/attack
    2) Race riot
    3) Hurricaine or tornado
    4) Minor Zombie Outbreak
    5) Micheal Jackson Visiting Town

TEOTWAWKI:

1) Terrorist attack on Chicago. Major transport hub for the entire nation food, oil, gas, rail cars all go through here
    2)Major backlash rioting if said terrorist came through Mexico's border illegaly and posed as hispanics.
    3)Bird flu/Anthrax pandemic
    4) Dust bowl 2: The return
    5) New Oil Embargo
    6) Hillery Clinton Elected President of the United States of America
    7) Major Zombie attack.

My basic tactics are simple I have stores of canned goods, blankets, water, and gasoline cans. Camping gear is pre-packed and ready to go if bugging out would be necessary. Multiple fallback postions have already been mapped and co-ordinated with relevant parties (ie family/friends) Tertiary defense positions involve living off land and sustianable farming in case of prolonged TEOTWAWKI.

A country boy can survive.

BTW the best all round anti zombie weapon would be a toss up between the 22 semi-auto rifle and the 12 gauge pump shotty. (according to Zombie Survival Handbook) 22 rounds are readily available and often quieter, and offer acceptable accuracy for the eye shot while the shotty just rips things apart nicely. Especially at point blank range
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Greensburg, KS, in Kiowa Cty -- flattened by F5 tornado

Well, this surely classifies: F5 tornado flattens 95% of Greensburg, Kansas. This happened earlier today, May 5. Some of the photos are awful. 1600 folks, and 95% of the structures destroyed or wiped clean off the foundations, including the hospital, schools, stores, plus most every home. The path of destruction was 1.4mi wide. Some reports I've seen include 9 dead and dozens wounded.

Question: What would you do? All infrastructure is gone. Hospital's toast. Would you have your SHTF bag, your gun/ammo, any water, any food, any way to exit the area? Assuming your current plans support being able to get your "head down" while it scraped everything clean, how could you handle it?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill just say that when i receive Rosey Odonnal and Donald Trump's wedding invitation its SHTF , If i am invited on the honeymoon its TEOTWAWKI.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Red face Ummmm NO

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, this surely classifies: F5 tornado flattens 95% of Greensburg, Kansas. This happened earlier today, May 5. Some of the photos are awful. 1600 folks, and 95% of the structures destroyed or wiped clean off the foundations, including the hospital, schools, stores, plus most every home. The path of destruction was 1.4mi wide. Some reports I've seen include 9 dead and dozens wounded.

Question: What would you do? All infrastructure is gone. Hospital's toast. Would you have your SHTF bag, your gun/ammo, any water, any food, any way to exit the area? Assuming your current plans support being able to get your "head down" while it scraped everything clean, how could you handle it?
    This isn't a SHTF situation unless you live in the disaster zone which is so narrow you could almost walk out of there. Sure everything is flattened, and only the local infrastructure is gone. The national and even the state is intact unless the state capital is the point of touchdown. Power will take awhile to come on since the lines must be cleared of debris and etc. But this is in NO WAY a shtf scenario.

I've been thru eight hurricanes in my life thus far, including the big one for FL: ANDREW. Even those were merely a discomfort, rather than shtf. You want to see an example of what it might be like in such a situation, catch a look at the CBS drama: JERICHO. Some of it is nerdy and stupid, but if this thing gets cancelled it will be because folks don't want to face such a reality in this country. This show is scary and will make you think.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Try this little scenario on for size. North Korea or Iran launches a missile to an altitude of roughly 400-500 km over Kansas, and detonates a large nuclear bomb. The bomb does not cause any structural damage at all on the ground. However, the EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) that is generated, shuts down virtually all electrical and electronic devices across the whole continental United States including:

• Almost all household appliances.
    • All telephone communication equipment
    • All vehicles with electronic ignition (virtually all cars since 1980)
    • All computer equipment, (including this forum board and the whole internet that it is connected to)

All public services are gone,electricity, water, sewer, etc. All stores will be unable to have their shelves stocked for months or years. There will be no trucks, trains, ships that can move the supplies. Their engines will simply not work, even if they had the gasoline/fuel to run in them. No gasoline can be pumped, no electricity.

I think this fits as SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/EMP_attack.html
    http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

For those of you that have set aside a week or two of food and water thinking that this will get you by until services come back on line...again, the above listed effects will last months or years.

We need a better plan ladies and gentlemen! And it better include more than how we are going to keep our guns!

Jay

I think older engines would survive...like an older motorcycle...or a old pickup truck. The one's with no onboard computers.
    We (as a country) would be in trouble for a bit...until the people like my father in law broke out the 69 chevy pickup and started delivering things again.
    We (as "prepared" people) would have to hunker down a bit with our supplies, keep an eye out or BGs and on our older neighbors to make sure they aren't taken advantage of..who would in turn help keep us supplied.

If that fails...then the distribution centers for the Krogers and WalMarts of the world would either be opened up for shopping or taken over by local authorities to divy out supplies..or by the people in the neighborhoods surrounding them and then sold at an extreme markup.
    Gun owners could trade their services to the LEGAL owners of these places for security for goods.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    [Kansas town flattened] This isn't a SHTF situation unless you live in the disaster zone which is so narrow you could almost walk out of there.
    Exactly the folks illustrated by the example.

While I don't have specifics on this particular town, it looks to be 5x the size of any town within 15mi of it. One person needing to walk 5mi to find shelter is one thing. 1500 people needing to "walk" 15mi+ to find shelter, food, water ... that's something else entirely. For this 1500, crime may have already started against the displaced. I wonder how many had bug-out bags with them that actually contains all of the criticals, self-defense items and other things they'll need in the next week or so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

after hurricane Rita,,,

I was shocked at how many people reacted during and after hurricane Rita.My family and I were not happy but we made do.I have told my wife many times,after observing the pathetic and selfish manner in which some people behaved,if we ever have a large scale disaster,or terror attack, I want to be far away from most people.In all fairness,there were many churches and groups that helped.A hurricane in reality only affects a small part of our country.I shudder to think what a large scale disaster would be like.

Where I live, hurricanes and north-easters are the biggies.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

And that's just Zombies in Pittsburg... What about New Orleans, where Zombies and VooDoo are prevalent? And we've all seen Ray Nagan's disaster response. ROFLMAO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    If that fails...then the distribution centers for the Krogers and WalMarts of the world would either be opened up for shopping or taken over by local authorities to divy out supplies..or by the people in the neighborhoods surrounding them and then sold at an extreme markup.
    Gun owners could trade their services to the LEGAL owners of these places for security for goods.
    Problem is that thos "Distribution Centers" now only hold about 4 days supply of food. AND if there is no power anything perishable will be gone in a matter of days or even hours for frozen stuff.

The fact is you cannot REALLY prepare for a TEOTWAWKI scenario....I just dont think its physically or financially possible. You can prep for a short term disruption and pray that you can survivie the TEOTWAWKI

Just a reminder as one's supplies run low...Never hurts to have some seeds on hand to grow some vegies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links