Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle - Page 2

Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle

This is a discussion on Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit You are better off to take a bullet from your pocket and throw it at the BG if he is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    You are better off to take a bullet from your pocket and throw it at the BG if he is chasing you on a bike. If he is going 60+ MPH and it hits him, he will know it.
    An golfball-sized rock or better yet an old sparkplug or two - something that "musta been kicked up from the roadbed by some car's tires" has been a very effective educator ever since the motorcycle was invented. If push really comes to shove, a good ol' "tire thumper" like the truckers often carry or even a short length of broomstick - in the face or in a wheel - also induces much-needed attitude adjustment in a hurry. Like most any type of "tactics" - it's all a matter of judicious timing. I do believe however that the priorities must always dictate actions. Protect and preserve your own safety and welfare, don't endanger innocents, and take care of business efficiently as warranted by the threat level and circumstances. 9 times outa 10 if you're on two wheels, escape & evasion is the simplest, easiest and best remedy of all. When failure's not an option, I kinda think it's best to pick & choose both the battle, the methods and the battleground on your own terms.

Last little food-for-thought item: It's another scenario where a Crimson Trace laser-sight can be worth its weight in gold. Especially when the rolling aggressor's got anywhere from 4 to 6 gallons of gasoline a few inches in front of their own crotch . . . and you extend a clear invitation to attend his own "weenie roast".

Some Scenarios Aren't Good...

for anyone...this being a very bad one!
    Evasion seems to be the only choice...and my Harley has plenty of power for extrication from bad places...

Some situations may just mean that 'your time has come'...

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yeah, but the think the Cyberdine 101's eyes were boresighted to his hands...

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    my Kawi ZX-14 will out brake, out turn, and most importantly out acclerate any production car (and bike) ever built.
    You haven't rode with a Busa yet, have ya?

Back to the topic, I think Bob The Great hit it right on the money. Try and be a better rider and get out of there.
    Last edited by Super Trucker; March 31st, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    You haven't rode with a Busa yet, have ya?

Back to the topic, I think Bob The Great hit it right on the money. Try and be a better rider and get out of there.
    The ZX-14 dethroned the Busa as the worlds fastest production motorcycle last year. It's the first production motorcycle in the world to claim 200hp @ the crank, and that's without the power comander,K&N, and exhaust mine has on it. It traps nearly 150mph in a 1/4 mile from 0mph. I've only opened the throttle wideo open once, and it scared the living crap outta me, I thought I was going back in time. Nothing like laying a patch of rubber in 3rd gear

VIP Member
    There are other places to debate the merits of various motorcycles. Back on topic please.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

M2
    Well, this isn't really much of a topic as it seems some of the participants aren't even motorcycle riders. Those who are know the first priority would be to use your acceleration and handling advantage to get the heck out of Dodge! Suggestions of laying the bike down and shooting it out are ridiculous, and Myth Busters have already proven that it is impossible to ignite a gas tank using a bullet like you see in the movies.

I have a CBR1000RR Repsol and whereas it may not have the exact acceleration of a ZX-14 or 'Busa, it will get up and move. Given any kind of attack on me while riding, that is my first course of action. Unless there is no exit, or my bike is disabled, I would not plan to "stop and shoot it out" with the attackers. And I do carry when I ride, I got a nice Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster that allows me to carry my XD-45ACP under my leathers. It is not the most easily accessed holster, but it is secure and I am more concerned with something going down when I am parked somewhere getting gas or taking a break.

Cheers! M2

Many good thoughts have been posted on this subject.
    Personally, I've been riding regularly since 1980.
    My current ride is a 2005 HD Ultra Classic.

Although I'm still relatively new to the whole handgun and CCW idea, I believe the best course of action is to avoid the gun battle and make tracks for the nearest LEO.
    Whether your attacker is in a car or on a bike, you'll be able to out run and out maneuver him for the reasons already stated.
    So my approach would be to ride like heck to safety and count my blessings that he missed me.

I actually joined this forum to learn as much as I could about handguns and specifically, issues related to carrying concealed while on a motorcycle.
    Thanks.
    "Luck is the point where opportunity and preparedness meet."

RTC1911 ya a good sized rock will work but try a pocket full of steel ball bearings and just drop them on the road as you go or through them over your shoulder.

It is way to easy to just crank the throttle and go.

And yes i ride a 2005 HD Softail Classic all set with the big bore setup (fuel injection chipped/ tuned up, exhaust).

Well there would be NO braking for me... I own a 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa, the fastest production bike in the world (check guiness if ya want) if hes in a car it better be like a Mclairen F1........SEE YA !!!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post
    Well there would be NO braking for me... I own a 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa, the fastest production bike in the world (check guiness if ya want) if hes in a car it better be like a Mclairen F1........SEE YA !!!
    Can it go 1200fps? if not, you might have a problem. I'd much rather be behind a shooter than in front of one.

congrats on owning a superbike, but wrapping the throttle only works if you're pointed in the right direction.

No matter what bike (busa all the way to honda rebel), we riders are at a disadvantage. Get the the bad guy in front of you. If they are behind you, they can run you over with their automobile (which I fear much more than the hottest 45 acp round out there).

If they are in front of you, at least you can have more warning of them getting into your space (their reverse or sudden braking). Plus, you have a better chance to get to cover and concealment.

Unless you are a lefty, have a handgun that you can shoot accurately with a glove on AND are a crack shoot at a moving target whilst you are moving, you are doomed trying to engage an adversary whilst moving on a mototcycle.

Get to cover/concealment (adequate to stop a 4 wheel vehicle) and then decide on engaging/evading.

All this nonsense of what type of bike to ride to overcome this is a case of testosterone over brains.

M2
    I don't know about the rest of you, and it might come from the fact that I rode in Europe for seven years, but even with my big pig of a motorcycle (a Honda ST1100), I can depart a location pretty damn fast and move in between traffic better than any car. Option #1 is to get the hell outta Dodge, you have a better chance doing that than sticking around and shooting it out! And on a motorcycle, acceleration is clearly not a disadvantage!

Cheers! M2

Any experienced rider on a motorcycle can and should evade their assailant. As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, just about any motorcycle can outmaneuver, out-accelerate, and out-brake most passenger cars and trucks on the road. Use that to your advantage.
    The logistics are somewhat different depending on if you're on a desolate highway with no traffic, or if you're in an urban center with lots of traffic. The urban center with lots of traffic will be trickier, but you should still be able to hop a few curbs, ride between parked cars, etc... and get away from the threat. If it's "desolate highway," then all those sport bike riders are home free. Just crack the throttle open and blast to the nearest town.

Either way, I think you (the motorcyclist) have the advantage of escape. Don't pull the gun unless you're off the bike to begin with.

(FYI I've been a rider for several years now, my trusty 1990 Yamaha Virago 1100 has never let me down. )
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

I will say it again, get the vehicle in front of you. You can think of that as evasion if you like. Behind you, it still can accelerate into you (unless you are riding one of those bullet bikes). In front of you, it will have a hard time to run you over. Astride of you, it can veer into your lane.

If you are behind the vehicle, you have more options to evade and/or engage. Plus the attacker would have to bend backwards to engage you with a firearm or go into reverse to engage you with his/her vehicle.

All you "experienced" riders. How many of you can bang a u turn within the width of a road? How about doing that with the added stress of a maniac behind you trying to run you over and/or shoot you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links