Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle - Page 3

Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle

This is a discussion on Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sojourner All you "experienced" riders. How many of you can bang a u turn within the width of a road? How about ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    All you "experienced" riders. How many of you can bang a u turn within the width of a road? How about doing that with the added stress of a maniac behind you trying to run you over and/or shoot you?
    It's actually deceivingly simple; you squeeze the front brake, and when you're almost stopped, you pull the throttle open while keeping the front brake on. Release the clutch, and the rear tire will spin; just bring the back end of the bike around, and you're facing the other direction. It sounds complicated, but once you've done it once or twice, you can execute this maneuver in a few seconds.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

General Goeff - That's not the technique that we at the MSF teach for making U-turns. I'd be very reluctant to try the way you are describing.

I see you are in Allentown. I teach/coach The MSF Beginners Riders Course and Experienced Riders course at the State Police barracks by airport road north in bethlehem. You can sign up for free MSF BRC and ERC courses via http://www.pamsp.com/

Anyone else in PA can get their MSF courses for free (well, the motorcycle endorsement goes into a pool to pay for these).

Regards and ride safe.

sojourner, I've already taken the MSP, but I took mine over at Blackman's bike shop. I'm well aware that what I described is NOT the standard U-turn procedure. The standard procedure is to slow down, then press down on the outside foot with most of your weight, leaning slightly in towards the turn. In that fashion, you can usually make a U-turn within a 10 foot diameter (bike dependant, but definitely with the 250ccs you use at MSP).

I just happened to figure out I could do it the way I decribed, marginally quicker. It's also more helpful with a bike that has an unweildy turning circle by itself. Not recommended to try unless you know your bike very well (and only if it's actually an emergency; it's rather flashy and catches the attention of cops rather quickly!).
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

General Geoff - description started out good. You forgot to describe to fully lock the handlebars in the direction of turning and turn your head all the way around and look at the opposite corner of where you are turning.

This is hard to describe and much easier with actual instruction. That is one reason I recommend people get instruction.

The MSP in PA offers Experienced Riders Courses where you go through the drills, u-turns included, with your own bike. I recommend doing the ERC every year. In additon to my coaching/teaching the BRC/ERC I take the ERC every year as a student.

Another tidbit of info is that if a new rider makes it through his/her first year unscathed, they are more apt to have an incident in their 3rd riding season. Mostly due to confidence and letting down their guard while riding. I am not pointing this at anyone in particular, just want to note it.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/
    has a nice DVD on low speed maneuvers.

Also, David Hough has some compelling reads on riding safely out on our crazy roads. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-7096571-5957623?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=david+hough&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Hope that is helpful.

M2
    Think about it, why would you want the car in front of you? Unless it is accelerating away from you, and if it was doing that I would still be heading in the opposite direction as fast as I could to put as much distance between the crazy guy and myself. But more likely he will be behind you, at which time I would use the acceleration and handling advantage I would have to get away. Yes, it would be a different situation if we were out in the middle of the desert where a car might catch up with a motorcycle (but it would have to be one ******* fast car to make up the acceleration difference). In most cases, they just can't. Just watch any news footage of the police chasing a motorcycle...unless the bike wrecks, it usually gets away. Only a helicopter can keep up, and I have seen some chases where even that isn't possible. If the crazy guy has a helicopter you are probably screwed, at that point I might just stop and shoot it out. But for a most-likely scenario, which would be in an urban setting, escape is your best first option. If that doesn't work, then you can shoot it out; but if you choose to shoot it out and that doesn't work, then what in the hell are you gonna do??

Seriously, I envision a gunfight at WalMart to be more likely than this...

Cheers! M2

I'm 73 and been on bikes since 1950.

A few facts.

80% of bikers cannot effectively use their front brakes. That's where 75% - 80% of your braking power is. (AMA stats)

If they cannot use their front brakes, how in the heck can they outrun anything in traffic? In traffic, it isn't you that is in control. It's the worst driver around you that holds your fate in his/her hand.

Bikers are big mouth braggarts, who usually couldn't begin to handle a bike in a pursuit. Most of them have trouble handling one in traffic.

If the trucker is crazy enough, he WILL drive you to killing yourself.

I'd find the fast way out of his path, and then hit the brakes, dump the bike, and then kill the son of b when he turned around to get me.

Anything else is stupid, unless you're a pro track racer.

(I have been chased on back roads by biker gangs 3 times in the years I've ridden. Most of them had choppers and couldn't begin to keep up with my speeds.)

For the last number of years, I keep a Taurus .44 Magnum revolver in my trunk case for such happenings. If I have to get off, those .44 mag FMJs are going to play hell with any biker or trucker coming after me.

Assistant Administrator
    Bikers are big mouth braggarts
    As a sane biker I'd prefer ''Some Bikers can be big mouth braggarts" - bit less sweeping!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    As a sane biker I'd prefer ''Some Bikers can be big mouth braggarts" - bit less sweeping!
    You're right. I did get carried away a bit. ALL bikers - except I and P95Carry are big mouth braggarts. :O)

Actually, my bit of a bad attitude came from spending some hours in a bike shop yesterday as I waited for service. I had to listen to so much B.S. that my B.S. detector popped a gasket. Especially, after listening to one 6'6, 270lb tattooed ruffian explain to one of the salesmen how once he grabbed his front brake lever so hard that he had pulled it all the way up to his handlebar, breaking the lever in half. This at about 50mph.

(Excuse, me, I gotta go. The dang gasket is leaking again. J.C. Whitney says it'll be a week before they get any new ones in.)

Assistant Administrator
    Gotta remember the other bikers here too Sam!! True tho yeah - there is a hardcore of folks that can be even these days somewhat ''lacking'' in the finer graces!

How's that for tact?

I am 10 years your junior but I guess started riding early 60's - so still some good chunks of miles under the belt.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Anyone think of getting off the bike as quickly as possible, taking cover and engaging the BG from behind cover in an ensconced position...

I have seen a lot of folks on bikes try to run from the Po-Po on "cops" and most of them don't make it very far before crashing.

Just an idea.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Anyone think of getting off the bike as quickly as possible, taking cover and engaging the BG from behind cover in an ensconced position...

I have seen a lot of folks on bikes try to run from the Po-Po on "cops" and most of them don't make it very far before crashing.

Just an idea.
    My point exactly.

Get away from him. Put initial distance between you and then stop and stand your ground. As I said, with a .44 Mag w/6 inch barrel, by the time he comes around to trying to stop somewhere, I'd have the drop on him. Even if I couldn't get to the trunk in time, my Commander w/FMJs would sure make a few holes in his radiator, and maybe him.

In such a scenario, you'd have to take all the choices away from him and make him play your game. You just better be prepared with the right weapons. I am.

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    You're right. I did get carried away a bit. ALL bikers - except I and P95Carry are big mouth braggarts. :O)
    Actually, my bit o
    Well, I don't have the years on planet earth you have or the years riding you have. I am an ambassador to the world as a MC enthusiast. I am a MSF safety instructor (rider coach), I wave and smile to all the little kids in cars that smile or wave at me. I'm polite when out on the bike. And I try to be goodwilled to all the MSF students that I meet.

Just like I am an ambassador for 2A. NRA instructor, volunteer for gun safety events.

I think your're way too sweeping w/ your comments. Seems that blowhards come in the biker and gun enthusiast variety.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Well, I don't have the years on planet earth you have or the years riding you have. I am an ambassador to the world as a MC enthusiast. I am a MSF safety instructor (rider coach), I wave and smile to all the little kids in cars that smile or wave at me. I'm polite when out on the bike. And I try to be goodwilled to all the MSF students that I meet.

Just like I am an ambassador for 2A. NRA instructor, volunteer for gun safety events.

I think your're way too sweeping w/ your comments. Seems that blowhards come in the biker and gun enthusiast variety.
    For your next 'merit badge,' might I offer the suggestion you try to acquire one which instills a sense of humor?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links