Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle

This is a discussion on Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have discussed How to carry but while reading a book tonight it brought up what about if your attacked while riding Not at a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle

Attacked While Riding Your Motorcycle

We have discussed How to carry but while reading a book tonight it brought up what about if your attacked while riding

Not at a stop light but while actually riding say 50 MPH Sure you can try to ride off but if the shooting has started what then ?

I don't Have a motorcycle but if i did it would be a HOG

SO have at it and i will post again later

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    As in, a drive-by while you (the target) are moving? I don't think my strategy would be any different than if I were in a car. Stand on that front brake, spin the bike 180 degrees as soon as I could, drop into 1st, and wrap the throttle till the stop. If I can still see him in my mirrors at this point, I'm taking the first turn-off I can spot, and making a bee-line for the police station/hospital/anywhere there's likely to be a cop.

Actually, being on a bike probably makes it easier to get away. On a bike, you have much greater stopping speed, greater acceleration, and it's easier to go counter-flow down the shoulder or thread through parked vehicles or walkways.

At that point, I really wouldn't care about going down the street the wrong way. If there's traffic, I'll happily ride down the shoulder or the sidewalk to put distance between my and the attacker.

If the attack is in the form of running me off the road, the strategy doesn't change, assuming I can avoid the first attempt. The goal is the same - get out of his firing lane as quickly as possible, and put space between him and me. This applies if he's shooting bullets, paintballs, cars, or anything else at me.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    i agree with bob the great here

+1 bob

the disadvantage to being on a bike is you can not make a cell phone call to 911. even if you have blue tooth or whatever, if you're bawlz to the wall gettin outta dodge, you a) can't hardly talk and b) wouldnt be heard over the bike and wind noise.

VIP Member
    Since I ride a cruiser style bike (Nomad 1600), it isn't as easy to maneuver as a crotch rocket, it is still more so than a car.........I to would stand on the brake first, then I'd be looking to use other vehicles as cover or somewhere narrow enough to evade.(if my wife was on board, I'd let her return fire, she's armed!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    I had the chance to watch a motor officer training class once, it was very interesting. The taught how to safely lay the bike down, and use the bike for a little bit of cover. I dont know if that would be wise for the average joe wearing tennis shoes, shorts and no crash bars, but its a thought.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I too would stand on the brake first
    I think this would be my prime choice - and most unlikely I'd try and gas my way out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Let me throw a monkey wrench into the works here as bobs answer was so good

but before i do i sure wouldnt be trying to use a gas filled motorcycle as cover

Now the monkey Wrench

Lets change it up a bit and say the shooter is on the same bike you are even down to the dangly things on the clutch and brake lever

now what?

VIP Member
    You seen Terminator....Yeah like that...
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    You seen Terminator....Yeah like that...
    haha! that was T2 you're referring to, i believe...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    alright, let's try again, and see if I can go 2 for 2.

If the shooter is on a bike, and takes a hand off the controls to attack me, he won't be in full control of his bike. I can take advantage of this in one of two ways - either I use the same idea as before and slam on the brakes, relying on his reaction being slower than my action, and then hope I'm a better rider than he is, or depending on the speed, traffic, and how sure I am that he's got a gun and is planning to shoot me with it, I might choose to brake sharply to dip into his flank, and ram him. In that case, we both go down, hopefully him first, and hopefully I can get to my CCW if he's still a threat. This last option amounts to suicide when faced with a car, but against another bike, especially with a rider who has at most one hand on the bars, it might just save your bacon.

I still say that the bike is your most capable asset, for the simple reason that a moving target is hard to hit. If you can make space, the chances of catching a bullet get very small.

Hi All
    Haven't the seen the earlier thread that apparently preceded or led to this one, but I'd implore any CCW biker to revisit "tactics" as well as "reality".

When I think "tactics" in a SHTF gunfight, I think escape-evasion-effective cover comes to the forefront, accompanied or followed by effective, skillful and overwhelming counterforce if-as need be. The thread seems to infer that the hostile attack has already commenced, in which case you have no effective bullet-stopping "cover" available to you while you're astride your motorcycle. Alone by itself, that dicates need to distance yourself from the attacker immediately, via whatever it takes.

Any biker with experience under their belt knows how difficult it can be to stay alive out there even when immersed in the sea of half-blind cager "friendlies", and that takes 100% concentration on your own driving. Traveling at speed, splitting your attention between the hostile threat and your own driving is a recipe for disaster in and of itself, even without engaging in a rolling gunfight.

As is also trading shots amidst moving traffic with innocents motorists all around you. Effective aimed fire with a 2-handed hold and feet firmly on the ground amidst the adrenalin dump of a SHTF scenario is difficult enough. Let's not forget that 60 MPH equates to 88 feet per second, and the slightest little dimple or irregularity in the roadbed around the moment of trigger let-off can throw your "aimed" shots far and wild. Unless you're a minority "southpaw", you're gonna be shooting with your probable-less-practiced, non-dominant hand, and if you think even just the recoil force of your own large-caliber handgun discharges can't affect your own motorcycle's tracking course at speed with a one-handed hold on the handlebars, well . . . dream on.
    So the chance of "effective" fire is greatly reduced, and effective aimed "followup" is also greatly complicated.

Even the police extremely frown upon discharging firearms from moving vehicles, by their own rank & file personnel, for due cause & reason. The chances of wrongfully killing or injuring innocents are simply too exorbitant. Legit & justifiable self-defense against a hostile is no defense against reckless endangerment, depraved indifference to human life or involuntary manslaughter charges if YOUR shots traded happen to kill innocent Molly or her baby in the adjoining traffic lane, opposite side of the highway, inside the nearby dwelling, etc. etc.

Last but not least: if you "pack" while you ride, your piece better be VERY well-retained and secured against dislodgement & loss if, God Forbid, an accident occurs and you "go down" at speed. Another thing to consider is carry mode and location. I know some people who ride with a shoulder holster or carry their gun in an inside vest pocket due to some kind of perceived notion of high chance they'll need to draw and present while in motion. Your pelvic bone is one of the strongest bones in your bod. Your ribs - which protect the lungs, heart, aorta - are amongst the WEAKEST bones in your bod, and they can tear things up horribly when they crack, break and splinter. When the irresistable force meets the immovable object, it's best not to have you big ol' hard gun between your ribs and the roadbed during the ground-slam.

Ask me how I know? 3:30 AM, country road, alone, out in the middle of nowhere. literally French-kissed in the face by Bambi at 60mph in the middle of a broad sweeper-curve when she sprang outa nowhere from the roadside brush. Ten ribs busted completely in half, lungs punctured/deflated, collarbone busted in half, shoulderblade in 4 pieces, & after a while of layin' there unable to move a muscle, "9 months pregnant" from internal bleeding of ruptured spleen & liver. The biggest, very-near-fatal mistake? Cell-tel in the stash-pouch on the bike, a hundred-odd feet distant from me, instead of being in the deep pocket where it shoulda been. Might as well have been on the moon. If you carry a cell-tel when you ride, don't EVER keep it anywhere OTHER than a very secure pocket on your own person. The typical belt-clip cell-tel holder, you'll lose it in a heartbeat if you high-side.

I'll just use the rocket lanchers on my bike. I'm not Chuck Norris, but I think I could handle it.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

If the BG was in a car, my Kawi ZX-14 will out brake, out turn, and most importantly out acclerate any production car (and bike) ever built. I practice busting U's all the time, it's so much easier than in a car. If the BG was on a equal bike, like said before, he would not be in control, and I would imagine shooting going 50+mph, would be almost impossible. And if for some reason we both fell off, now in Ohio I would have my CCW ready to go. Thank God that stupid law is gone and I can start carrying conceled on my bikes.

+1 to what was said by RTC1911.

There is some good food for thought about riding. Evasion is IMHO the best thing to do here. Trying to shoot with even one hand while trying to outrun someone else on a bike is next to suicide.

You are better off to take a bullet from your pocket and throw it at the BG if he is chasing you on a bike. If he is going 60+ MPH and it hits him, he will know it.

Keep the rubber side down. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links