One for the ladies (guys don't skip!)

This is a discussion on One for the ladies (guys don't skip!) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ed=rss.bayarea Man accused of stealing cop's purse, trying to use her gun Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer Sunday, March 18, 2007 (03-18) 11:55 PDT HAYWARD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for the ladies (guys don't skip!)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ed=rss.bayarea

Man accused of stealing cop's purse, trying to use her gun
    Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, March 18, 2007

(03-18) 11:55 PDT HAYWARD -- An off-duty Hayward police officer is lucky to be alive after a 38-year-old convicted robber allegedly stole her purse and tried to shoot her with a gun he found inside it.

The officer, Michelle Winters, was on her way to work at 7 a.m. Saturday in civilian clothes when she stopped to buy something at a store near Jackson and Watkins streets.

As she got back into her personal car, police said, she was surprised by Richard Sessions, a 6-foot-2, 235-pound Hayward resident who recently completed a parole term.

Sessions pushed Winters further into the car, snatched her purse and ran, police said.

Winters chased Sessions and confronted him around a corner, where he pulled a handgun from her purse, pointed it at her and repeatedly squeezed the trigger, Hayward police said.

The weapon, which Winters used when she was off-duty, was not loaded.

Sessions punched and kicked the officer, tried again to fire the weapon and then continued assaulting her before fleeing, police said.

Winters quickly reported the attack, police said, and officers flooded the area. They spotted Sessions two blocks away on Silva Avenue. He was jailed on suspicion of several felonies including attempted murder.

Winters was treated at a local hospital and released later Saturday, police said. Her gun and wallet were recovered.

E-mail Demian Bulwa at dbulwa@sfchronicle.com.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AGRDONHM37.DTL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uh, lets see here. She uses the gun off duty, she is on her way to work, the off duty gun is not loaded. Hmmmm...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Wow, so many things wrong in such a short time. I'm glad everything worked out (more or less) for the officer involved, but I wonder if she'll reconsider purse carry now?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    ok im not sure how to feel about this.. glad the officer is ok, alive, and that they idiot is back in jail. what i am not happy about is WHY she had an unloaded weapon for her off duty carry. I know she wont carry on duty like that.. so why take a chance off duty... but all in all glad to hear she is ok

+1 Rangerman2003.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

California's such an interesting place, let's see if the charge of attempted murder gets knocked down due to the fact that the gun had no bullets. On principle, alone, I'd hope not. Given the person attacked was a cop, I can't see it happening. But stranger things have happened.

1. Keep your firearm on your person. In a bag does no good.
    2. Have a backup firearm.
    3. Have ammo in the firearm, else it's merely an awkward club that demands you get within contact distance to stop anyone. Plus, it leaves really odd marks ...
    4. Maintain a perimeter defense sufficient to spot and stop such attackers early in the game.
    5. If unarmed, do not go chasing a fleeing felon as the first response. No telling whether he was armed, and the simple fact that the officer's off-duty gun was unloaded isn't sufficient knowledge to know the felon isn't otherwise armed. Though, it was known to the off-duty cop that she absolutely wasn't armed. Bad juju.

A lot of stupidity, for an off-duty, serving police officer. One can only hope this one learns ... before it's too late.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

you'd think an officer would know better than to keep her weapon in her purse...

I get what others are getting at, but we could always look at the "bigger picture"(the bright side) had her gun been loaded, she'd be dead right now.

Why wasn't there an arraignment at this guy's hospital bed?

Senior Moderator
    Yet more evidence against purse carry. There's not much to add that hasn't already been said. That is why I don't carry in my purse.

She (the cop) is very lucky. If she continues to carry in her purse she might as well leave the gun empty in case this happens again. Now If the gun was in my wife's purse the bad guy would have never found it. What a mess and it weighs about 50 pounds.

I am very glad to her that she is no worse for wear, but this is the exact reason I have given people (women especially) unprofessional advise against purse or any other means of off body carry for 12 years.

I say unprofessional because I am not a certified trainer, I don't teach classes on firearm safety or methods of carry. I simply tell people of my observations. My theory is that if you can put it down and walk away from it, then don't carry anything important to you in it.

Purses, planners and brief cases are not what I consider secure.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member
    Unless it was this briefcase!

http://www.hkpro.com/mp5k.htm (Scroll to the bottom for pics.)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    Purses, planners and brief cases are not what I consider secure.
    This is exactly why I don't carry in my purse. It is NOT secure. I think about my niece all the time when I hear gals talking about purse carry.

When my niece was one years old she was a kleptomaniac and she LOVED purses. There were several times we would all be out to eat and my niece would be playing around and we thought we were keeping a good eye on her and we would get home and my sister would find silverware, napkins, and at one time, ladies wallets from their purses, all stuffed in her purse. My niece would crawl around and take things out of other purses and put them in my sister's purse all without anyone knowing about it.

What if my niece just happened to be searching through one of those purses and came across a firearm?

Purses are also a target (as this bit of news clearly demonstrates). I would be mortified if someone snatched my purse and my loaded gun was in it. First I'd be out a very nice gun and second, I'd feel sick that I just provided a criminal with a "clean" gun.

And all of the junk in purses, it's hard to find them or get a grip on them.. AHHH, just a bad, bad, bad, idea.

Isn't this in San Fran? Doesn't that explain all of the questions here? After all, if the police officer had a loaded evil gun, she would have been killed!!....instead, this poor victim of the criminal justice system could have turned the gun in during one of the many gun buyback programs and used the money to go back school, get a well-paying job and make him a better contributing member of our society...this is why guns should be........

....I need to get out of my office...the people here annoy me
    Last edited by SIGguy229; March 19th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.

I want the briefcase from Romeo Must Die. The one that had the handle of the AR15 shorty as the handle of the briefcase. One quick motion, full accessibility to the AR

yes...I know it's a movie gun, but I still want it :-)

One of my clients used to carry a 92FS in "binder" mode. I told him that was a nice way to lose a gun. He didn't believe me, until I laid my binder that looked JUST like his without the hiding place for the gun in front of his, and picked his up and acted like I was going to walk out. He didn't notice the switch for 5 minutes.
    He switched to a shoulder harness that very day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links