Chicago Cop Allegedly Seen Beating Woman On Video

This is a discussion on Chicago Cop Allegedly Seen Beating Woman On Video within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In colorado we're allowed to carry in a bar (so long as we're not "under the influence"), and I do on occasion do so. Though ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Cop Allegedly Seen Beating Woman On Video

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    In colorado we're allowed to carry in a bar (so long as we're not "under the influence"), and I do on occasion do so. Though usually when I do it's not during a time of day where people are getting hammered.

If I was in the room here in CO, I'd be in deep stuff. I know at the point I saw a man of that size beating a little girl to death, I would yell for someone to call 911 and draw at the same time, followed shortly by a double-tap if he didn't cease and desist. Which would put me in a cell for a while if I was lucky, and dead if I wasn't. Pretty scary to think a situation like that could occur, being a "cop killer" whether it was justified or not is real liable to ruin your life one way or the other.

2. Remove Ads

If someone did kill him, he would still get the bagpipes and his name at the fallen officer's memorial.

Reffy,

He did just that.
    First he decked her as she was standing and then threw her backward into the bar display with his owne weight on top of her. Then he punched her in the head and threw her to the ground where she began kicking her feet. He grabs her by the clothign and punches her in the face twice more. She falls back and he kicks her once then stomps or stands on her with one leg, it's hard to tell which on video, and bends over to punch her once more.
    All this in plain view of three male patrons as they stood and watched.

I fixed the link in my OP so you should be able to go see the article with video directly.
    Once more nobody had any clue or way of knowing he was a cop.

In MA they allow carry at liquor establishments and I do when out playing pool, bowling, or out with my family treating them to dinner where the establishment might also have a bar onsite.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    OK, I saw the video.... DAMN
    I think it would meet Florida's Use of Deadly Force. And not knowing the guy is LEO I would probably intervene........ with the corresponding SHTF afterwards.

On second thought, I wouldn't be able to intervene with my gun. Bars are off limits in FL for CCW.

Cue stick maybe...............
    Last edited by Miggy; March 21st, 2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: oopsie correction.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Two Good Points Here...

This dirtbag (who poses as a cop) IS going to get his...the area cops will run from this guy like rats from a sinking ship...

And...the girl is going to be able to retire when her two lawyers are finished...and rightly so...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

this guy would get a swift kick to the side of the knee,followed by a cuestick upside his head,and finally a beer bottle broke over his thick skull no need for gun here just a good ole fashion country whoopin! anyone who strikes a women needs his testis removed! idiots standing there in the DUH mode deserves the same treatment. be a man for god sakes
    Last edited by srfl; March 22nd, 2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Language

The bartender filed a police report, but Abbate checked himself into a medical facility, so he was not arrested until last week, authorities said.
    Typical, seems to be the in-thing to do now days.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Alcohol and it's virtues.......

Unfortunately, the law states deadly force is only authorized when a life is in danger, not during a beating. The guys in the bar are cowards, they should have intervened. Now if the cop drew a weapon....different story. In Tennessee it is illegal to carry in a bar.

Booze ruins another life.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Even out of uniform I would say it's no-win for you. The plain fact of the matter is that if you are ever involved in any kind of altercation with a cop you can forget completely about the idea of "innocent until proven guilty." Every prosecutor, every judge, and every juror is going to begin with the assumption that you were in the wrong! You are going to have to come up with some pretty compelling proof that you were not.

It may not be "right," but that's the way it is!
    So whatever happened to the guy that shot the LEO relative that was off duty at a family reunion and was wailing on the shooter's wife/sister? Last I heard the case was pending.

BTW, how did she know he was an LEO? Regular customer, drinking with LEO buddies? Hmmm?
    Last edited by paramedic70002; March 22nd, 2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Add question.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Paramedic,

She did not know he was a LEO, nobody onsite knew he was a LEO.
    He was just another customer to her that night.

It was not untill shortly after he left when an unidentified person came into the bar to threaten her to keep her mouth shut and offered money in exchange for silence that she became aware he was a cop. The police later tracked down and arrested Abbate while the second man remains an unknown. Obstruction of justice charges are in play as well.

The story has been updated; http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_080060454.html

I personally see this case as defensable toward deployment of ones CCW, of course if legal in ones own locality as obviously it's not in Chicago. There was extreme disparity in force of one on another not just in relative size and weight, but strength as well. Further he kicked, kneed, and stomped/stepped on her as well as used the bar itself as a weapon throwing her and against it and then kneeing her into it. I'm shocked she has no broken or fractured facial bones. His fat hands must be soft like marshmallow. i wouldn't have shot him outright but I would have very likely intervened with CCW deployed and commanded him to STOP! and get down on the ground as others call 911 and I direct them to detail my description and that I'm a good guy.
    If no CCW were allowed or I were out that night not carrying then the primary option is to take hold of something hard to crack him in the face or over the head with...and grab the two or three schmucks sitting there to go in with me en masse as the totalof us would out weight 250 lbs. of drunk SoB.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; March 22nd, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by nonsnob View Post
    this guy would get a swift kick to the side of the knee,
    That's a winner. Save, I'd probably stomp that knee a time or two more to make sure the ACL was mashed nicely.

Guys, I think we are missing the point here. Forget that he is a cop, it has no bearing as there was no way to know this. Forget it is a bar and even in Chicago. That alone means nobody has a gun for self-protection. Put it in your state where you can legally carry and the woman is a clerk in a convince store. Now, what do you do?

As I said before even a cop can't beat someone to death. If this woman had attacked him he would still have to stop when the threat was neutralized just as we would. Second this gorilla has at least 85 lbs. on me let alone his victim. My CCW is what makes me equal. Without it I would not take him on, I am not a fighter. There is no law that says anyone needs to risk their life in defense of another. I don't blame others for not taking him on but I thought one guy was on his cell phone perhaps calling 911. I wouldn't stand there doing nothing myself if I didn't have my CCW, I would at least call 911, try to distract him, something like that.

I think you have clear disparity of force, a situation that appears to be life threatening, and one that would lead a reasonable man to produce his gun to stop the attack. From what I have read of his past this guy should never have been a cop to begin with.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; March 22nd, 2007 at 03:27 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Thank you HGJ!

That was exactly the reason why I posted this, but folks have gotten fixated on the it was a cop (nobody knew this onsite) and it's in Chicago thus no CCW allowed factoid.

- Janq

There are several things disturbing about this incident.
    1 That a "man" would feel justified to do this to a woman half his size for any reason.
    2 That this man was an LEO for 12 years. My guess is that in those 12 years this is not the first time this guy acted like an a** h*** (This is part of the reason I answered no to the consent to search poll. Most LEOs are of the finest sort, but these guys are out there and you never know if thats who pulled you over.)
    3 That a bar full of "men" stood around and did nothing. I hope they feel shame.
    I'm no hero but I could not sit around and watch a stumbling drunk beat a woman in the face. For me it's not chivalry it's just the right thing to do.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

me
    The scary thing (we now may think) is that this moron may have been (unknown) carrying when nobody else could have.

+1 to Butt Kicking or Drawing depending on judgement call
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links