Here's a tactical scenario you DONT want to be in!

This is a discussion on Here's a tactical scenario you DONT want to be in! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/ind...300.xml&coll=9 Break-in victim had gun - but no bullets Wednesday, March 21, 2007 LaNIA COLEMAN THE SAGINAW NEWS GLADWIN -- The 72-year-old Billings Township woman ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a tactical scenario you DONT want to be in!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/ind...300.xml&coll=9

Break-in victim had gun - but no bullets
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007
    LaNIA COLEMAN
    THE SAGINAW NEWS
    GLADWIN -- The 72-year-old Billings Township woman pulled the gun from a safe, aimed it at a knife-wielding bandit and pulled the trigger.

No bullets.

The woman told Gladwin County sheriff's deputies she was asleep about 3 a.m. Monday when the masked, armed burglar awakened her, demanding the cash she had stashed in her safe, deputies said.

When the woman reached for her telephone to call 911, the 6-foot-tall robber, armed with a steak knife, snatched the phone and flung it, along with the night stand in which it was sitting, across the room, deputies said.

Determined to protect her savings, the woman opened the safe but instead of handing over her money, she retrieved a small-caliber handgun and aimed it at her assailant, deputies said.

When she pulled the trigger, both victim and burglar realized the weapon had no ammunition and a scuffle ensued, deputies said.

The burglar wrestled the weapon away from the woman and helped himself to a stack of cash, mostly $50 and $100 bills, then fled through the kitchen, leaving the gun on the counter on his way out, authorities said.

Deputies are looking for a slender man, about 160 pounds, who wore a dark-colored hooded sweat shirt and dark pants. He had pulled the hood over his head and concealed his face with a dark-colored ski mask. Deputies did not indicate if the victim was able to determine the assailant's race.

Anyone with information should call Gladwin County sheriff's deputies at (989) 426-9284. v

LaNia Coleman covers law enforcement for The Saginaw News. You may reach her at 776-9690.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Nice of her to (almost) arm the robber. It sounds like the BG was one of those rare types who really didn't want to hurt anyone and just wanted the money - he let the woman go unharmed even after she tried to shoot him... Lucky for her, in this case.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Never bring an empty gun to a knife fight.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Ok, bad situation, but why did the guy already know that she had cash stashed in her safe? Was this someone that she knew, had she been too open lipped about her money situation?

Luckily she was not seriously hurt, and all she lost was her cash. If your going to rely on a gun for protection, you damn sure better make sure it is loaded, working and keep control of it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I guess that all that I can add is that she is one lucky lady. It's VERY RARE to find a BG that has a "conscious" and doesn't seriously hurt or kill his vic.
    I aggree with p8riot, never bring an empty knife to a gun fight.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

VIP Member
    Don't bring a rock to a gun fight. She may have done better to just make a verbal threat versus pulling the trigger. Heat of the moment and all though, easy to say that sitting at my computer this morning not facing a BG at 3 AM. Of course all the guns I keep accessible are loaded. I also keep a loaded gun in each of my safes.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

how do you NOT know the condition of YOUR own gun?!

ya, she's very lucky. my money is on the bullets were in the safe, too. that BG likely couldve made that the last mistake she ever made.

States where citizens are required by law to store firearms empty and magazines in seperate locations, locked, could very easily result in a situation like this...such as MA. :(
    Even with a revolver under such laws one would have to have time and lucidity available inorder to load the weapon...which might be difficult to do with a BG standing over top of you.

Dogs as a first line of alert FTW.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    States where citizens are required by law to store firearms empty and magazines in seperate locations, locked, could very easily result in a situation like this...such as MA. :(
    Even with a revolver under such laws one would have to have time and lucidity available inorder to load the weapon...which might be difficult to do with a BG standing over top of you.

Dogs as a first line of alert FTW.

- Janq
    OMG, That is the stupidest law I have ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    OMG, That is the stupidest law I have ever heard of.
    Thats pretty much verbatim what I'd said when I first learned of it via my MA LTC course instructor.
    It took me a half hour to digest the concept as law, even though it makes totally no practical sense at all. :(

This news item reminded me that I need to buy a revolver, as strongly suggested to us all by the instructor, in order to be MA legal and expedient. The law does not see speedloaders as a 'magazine', yet, so he advised we invest in two or three for our otherwise locked & secured (per the law) revolvers.

I kid you not.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You got to buy some bullets . She better correct that problem because the next guy might not be so nice. What good is a gun if you don't keep it loaded and don't shoot it once in a while.

me
    This is why if we buy a firearm we buy bullets for it, even if it is just practice stuff, at that time. I leave my pistol next to the bed with the slide locked back and mag in at night.... I debate letting it sit loaded but am not sure i like that right now
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I bet he still had to clean out his pants though.

She was lucky and hopefully won't make the same mistake again.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I sure am glad I live in a state that I can wear my gun all the time and or keep a loaded one by my bed at night.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've come up with a good use for the crap XD-gear paddle holster... disconnect the paddle, and use the screw hole to fasten it to the frame of the bed. I sleep on my left side, and i can dangle my right arm off the mattress and rest my hand right on the grip. It's not locked up in a safe, but it is accessible and with no kids, I know it's not going anywhere or going to cause any mischief. Plus, by using a holster instead of sitting it on top of a nightstand or in the drawer of the nightstand, I know I'll always have a safe and secure draw in case of "bump in the night." I know that my relatives in MA own firearms, and the last time I was home, they did not have a safe. I'll have to check with my stepdad to see how he's storing them if this might work itself up to be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links