Man kidnaps and rapes estranged wife who is also a Sheriff's Deputy

This is a discussion on Man kidnaps and rapes estranged wife who is also a Sheriff's Deputy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across this article in my local newspaper, the Colorado Springs Gazette. The article covers the trial and conviction of the man who kidnapped ...

I came across this article in my local newspaper, the Colorado Springs Gazette. The article covers the trial and conviction of the man who kidnapped and raped his estranged wife. I thought this article was interesting because the woman was also a Sheriff's Deputy.

To the Mods, I'm relatively new to this so if this is not the right section for posting, please move it and accept my apologies.

Springs man guilty of raping estranged wife
    By ANTHONY LANE THE GAZETTE
    March 24, 2007 - 12:58AM

A Colorado Springs man was convicted Friday night of kidnapping his estranged wife, driving her miles away at gunpoint and then raping her.

Jurors deliberated about seven hours before finding Jaime Duran, 33, guilty of felony kidnapping, rape, violating a restraining order and menacing. The kidnapping conviction carries a mandatory life sentence without parole when Duran is sentenced in June.

The trial lasted nearly two weeks as prosecutors presented evidence about Duran stalking and threatening his wife before kidnapping her from her driveway June 26 as she returned home from work.

The woman, an El Paso County sheriff’s deputy, testified it was the most terrifying night of her life. Her two young daughters, her mother and other family members were waiting inside when Duran approached her, she testified.

“I was thinking I can’t make a scene here because my family will come out and they’ll get shot,” she said.
    The Gazette typically does not identify sexual-assault victims.

Duran did not testify during the trial, but jurors were shown videotaped statements he made when questioned by an El Paso County sheriff’s detective.

He said his wife wanted to get together, and after they met outside her home, they walked arm-in-arm to his car, a Chevy Tahoe. They drove to an isolated area near Boone, east of Pueblo, and had sex, he said under questioning.

The woman’s account of the night’s events was starkly different. She returned home from work just after 10 p.m., she said, and was not carrying her service pistol because she had been on “light duty” that night.

The woman described Duran’s anger as he forced her into his car and then demanded she get undressed as they drove on Interstate 25 toward Pueblo.

“I thought I was going to die,” the woman said.

She said she managed to soothe Duran, then escaped after talking him into stopping at a convenience store.

The woman said the couple’s marriage soured after Duran requested she seduce another man and have sex with him in front of Duran — or with Duran.

http://www.gazette.com/onset?id=2051...e=article.html
    I found the most interesting point of the article to be that that court had a restraining order against this man and his wife wasn't carrying her service pistol because she was on "light duty" (whatever that is). It seems to me that if I perceived a threat so great that I went to court for a restraining order, I would be carrying 24/7.

It's also interesting that she chose not to make a scene on her driveway for fear of her family inside the house getting shot. That appears to be the right decision since she ended up living, but I can see how it could easily have turned out differently.

Any other observations or comments we can learn from?

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidDad View Post
    It seems to me that if I perceived a threat so great that I went to court for a restraining order, I would be carrying 24/7.
    I think ya nailed it with that statement.

Why wouldn't a deputy be carrying all the time anyway? My BIL is a Maricopa County Sheriff's Deputy and they are required to carry all the time, on duty or off.

I think ya nailed it with that statement

i think that's what it all comes down to as well.
    What's this button do?

so much for restraining order. like they matter.

Another example of a failed restraining order. Was it in Colorado where a court ruled the police have no obligation to enforce a restraining order? She should have been armed. I wonder if there may be more to this than meets the eye.

Originally Posted by IntrepidDad
    It seems to me that if I perceived a threat so great that I went to court for a restraining order, I would be carrying 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I think ya nailed it with that statement.

I couldn't have said it better.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

VIP Member
    I think there has been 20 state and SCOTUS decissions saying that the police has NO DUTY other than enforcing the law. Exception made for very specific cases such as witness protection.
    In Warren v. District of Columbia, the court said: "the fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.” In Bowers v. DeVito, 686F. 2nd 616, 618 (7th Cir. 1982). "ordinary citizens have no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.”
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Town of Castle Rock, Colorado vs. Gonzales

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    Another example of a failed restraining order. Was it in Colorado where a court ruled the police have no obligation to enforce a restraining order? She should have been armed. I wonder if there may be more to this than meets the eye.
    You are correct. The case was Town of Castle Rock, Colorado vs. Gonzales. In this particular case, Gonzales had obtained a restraining order against her estranged husband. He abducted their three children in violation of the restraining order and murdered them.

The Supreme Court ruled that a restraining order did not create personal entitlement to the enforcement of the restraining order.

I agree that its puzzling why she wasn't armed but I love this part:

"The kidnapping conviction carries a mandatory life sentence without parole when Duran is sentenced in June."

I think Colorado has ALMOST gotten it right. The only bad part about the sentence is that taxpayers will now have to feed and clothe this piece of trash for the rest of his life.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

The restraining order is just another piece of paper work that is good for nothing more than cloging up the system. She had to sense something was wrong and should have been carrying 24/7 I'm glad she is ok and the ex husband was arrested.

Should Have Had Gun Duty...

Instead of 'light' duty...

A deputy? With a restraining order? Without a weapon?

No excuses for this foul-up...glad she is OK!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd go a bit further and say that anyone who carries (whether a CCWer or a LEO) should always carry 24/7. A crazy ex is certainly a good reason to be more vigilant, but there are a lot of nasty folks out there who won't do you the favor of threatening you first so you can be ready for them.

That is what I was thinking also.

I have never taken a restraining order out on anyone, never had a reason to, but if I did you can bet I would be carrying all the time. I already am now but if I wasn't already I would for sure be carrying 24/7 then.

That stupid sheet of paper isn't really going to stop anything from happening. Just make it easier to prosecute after the solid wast has struck the bladed rotating air moving device.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Perceived threat.. Yep!! when I read that she wasn't carrying... I thought ... Ewwww... This is not going to turn out well...

Glad it did!!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok , I just saw this thread , and some folks here need to understand just who is or needs to be a commissioned officer ( deputy or patrolman ) in the state of colorado first off . Basicly anyone in Colorado who may be in a position to make an arrest or do an affidavit of probable cause for a warrant needs to be commissioned and carry the title of deputy or patrolman , or whatever . The deputy in question may well be a secretary who has occasion to deal with and interview inmates . She may also be a " Road deputy " which patrols, makes rutene arrests ect. From the story we just dont know . El Paso county has a pretty good weapons policy , and in fact the sheriff there at the time was instrumental in getting colorado to go shall issue . As a rule El Paso county is one of the more motivated depts in the state , so i will assume that she was an administrative deputy . Light duty typically is showing up so your not out on any kind of comp when your physical condition precludes you actually doing your job . For a patrol officer with an injury it would be riding a desk to handle paperwork . For an admin deputy with carpel tunnel it might be taking pics in booking of the jail . Point is that in MY fine state not everyone who is a " Deputy , or Officer " works patrol , or carrys a gun every day . I wont go too far second guessing the gal with the info given , other than to say she did work for an le agency .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links