Scenario: Garage with a twist

This is a discussion on Scenario: Garage with a twist within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all apply these to our own situations. In mine the BG could get out of sight in three strides. I have a steel door ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scenario: Garage with a twist

VIP Member
    We all apply these to our own situations. In mine the BG could get out of sight in three strides.

I have a steel door to the house, but the wife likes to be nice and unlock it for me when she knows I'm coming home. The dogs while good for warnings aren't trained attack dogs. I've made friends with vicious dogs in seconds before, so I have no delusions of my dogs stopping a potential intruder. They do make a good amount of noise.

I figure this is one of those criminals I've been told about by some cops. They do home invasions for the thrill of it. They want you at home and they are tough and bold. They improvise better than most and since they want the confrontation, aren't going to get out of dodge quickly. Maybe they figure get inside, get a hostage and get your gun. Who knows.

I think close pursuit is the best defense for this one. I prefer a good offense anyway. I figure the dogs won't stop the BG, but they will point out where he is for me. Yell to the wife to get her little friend out, be ready and call 911. I won't come in the bedroom without warning her first. Then I use the dogs to find the BG. If he's smart, they never are, he left already. If not then I deal with that when it happens.

I think what AZG23 was saying is that he never has vunerabilities in his personal protection or the protection of his family. So his door would be locked and he would shoot the BG. Or even if the door was unlocked he is fast enough to get the BG before he could enter. My situation is a bit different in that there are lapses in security for different reasons and I am not so fast I could get the BG. That brings up another scenario...

-Scott-

2. Remove Ads

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by AZG23
    Bang,bang,bang.....D.O.A.
    Almost agree with this, but the scenario stated he made inside the house. My agreement with AZG23 is based on the fact I've already pulled my weapon, he had two directions to go...one is out, the other is in....two "different" directions. The direction toward my inner house results in me shooting. Now...he's already in the house...I have to agree with obvious giving chase to clear my house...assuming everyone pretty much follows a same routine daily, I should know where my family is most likely to be inside. I start there first. If lucky enough to find them alone and unharmed, then it is a matter of a "tactical retreat" to get them to sanctuary....if in a neighborhood, that might be a neighbor.....if in country, then I would go for the vehicle, and clear them from the area....let my family go for help/911 call. I would probably remain on the property, outside the house, and wait for an attempted exit by the BG (In Texas, I can still shoot the *******). If however, there are more guns in the house (yep!), then I'd probably make darn sure I had cover, but would definitely not try to re-enter until the Calvary arrived.

I'm in garage. I pull the breakers for everything in the house off.

The old lady wakes up with a start if it goes off it's asleep, and her first reaction is to grab a gun and not back down until she knows for a fact it's safe.

I then know my layout better than the BG. She's alerted. I probably wait for the cavalry to arrive. If they're not there in five minutes, I'm going to flip the lights back on and go through the door and hope for the best.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Yell to my wife, and stay out of her line of fire. She isn't very fond of my 12ga, but she does know how to use it, and in reality is a better shot than me. Me yelling "shoot him if he moves!!!" from the garage door, and her racking a round into the 12ga should make the bg reconsider.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    ...did I say BULLET PROOF? Just to keep it on topic.
    That's a bit of a stretch and repeats a thread over in "Off Topics" I split off for you last time. Please keep topics on topic to keep us from having to delete posts. :vikings18
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Sorry, I'll try and work on this. This place is a LOT more strict than Free Republic and that takes some getting used to. But honestly, Bumper, the thread is titled "Garage with a Twist" which to me includes my secure and earth sheltered housing discussion, because such is the very heart of security in a home. I don't think garage with a twist would have been possible in the link I provided to the ultimate secure home (take a look at it) I wasn't trying to be funny in adding in that these structures are bulletproof. So respectfully, I don't think my comment strayed that far off the reservation. But I'll still try and tighten up, okay?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It's an interesting problem you guys have discussed here. I'm just glad it doesn't apply to me!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Sorry, I'll try and work on this. This place is a LOT more strict than Free Republic and that takes some getting used to. But honestly, Bumper, the thread is titled "Garage with a Twist" which to me includes my secure and earth sheltered housing discussion, because such is the very heart of security in a home. I don't think garage with a twist would have been possible in the link I provided to the ultimate secure home (take a look at it) I wasn't trying to be funny in adding in that these structures are bulletproof. So respectfully, I don't think my comment strayed that far off the reservation. But I'll still try and tighten up, okay?
    No problem, there's just a place for everything, and 'this' ain't the place for "that'....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links