Scenario: Garage with a twist

This is a discussion on Scenario: Garage with a twist within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had this thought the other night as I was backing into my garage around 11 PM. Anyway. So a BG could be loitering in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Had this thought the other night as I was backing into my garage around 11 PM.

Anyway. So a BG could be loitering in the bushes, around the corner, whatever. You don't see them lurking until after you have backed into the garage and they enter. I know as soon as I'm in I hit the closer button, but with the required safety back up pressure switch and obstruction beam the door could be almost shut and you could stick a 2x4 in there and it will go right back up. This is why I never leave the driveway until the door is down, and I don't go inside the house until the door is down, and stays down.

Now I'm locked in my vehicle, but the wife is in the house asleep.

The BG directed his attention to you in the vehicle initially until you presented your gun. He had two choices and he ran into your house. Yes, I know everyone has locked multiple deadbolts on the door to the garage. For this case your spouse/SO(significant other) unlocked it for your convenience. Yes, I know they are trained better than that, but work with me here.

So now the BG is on the loose in your house with your spouse/SO and kids if you have them. He is obviously a determined BG, and not your average smash and grab coward.

For arguments sake dogs are not a factor. It is unknown if the BG is armed, but since most garage doors open into the kitchen you can assume at least a knife. So now what will you do?

-Scott-

Administrator

The Bad Guy

The BG fled you and your visible pistol in the garage and then entered your home?
    Wife & kids are in the house (probably sleeping) & you've not exited the vehicle yet?

Either the BG went into the home & immediately left it again through a different door or window...or you have a real impending problem on your hands!

How do you spell "Certain Guaranteed Hostage Situation" ???
    I'll not say any more and will let some other forum folks chime in on this real life "situation" ~ Good One Scott!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

you have layout of house plan in your mind to your advantage. Do you have any knowledge of clearing your own house? Man that would not be a situation I would like to be in.

I would scream out something to the effect of "Hun grab the shotgun, there is a BG in the house, stay where you are, KILL HIM if you see him" that would or rather should give BG some pause. His trepidation to enter a room quickly and hide should be all the time you need to get on his "6" and tell him to get to the ground. If he turns and motions towards you, you can reasonably assume he might be going for your pistol and as such fear of serious bodily harm or death is now present.

~A
    Last edited by APachon; March 13th, 2005 at 11:46 AM.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    be very happy that you took that interior tactics course.

Bang,bang,bang.....D.O.A.
    Brad B.

Administrator

Azg23

You said:
    "Bang,bang,bang.....D.O.A."
    Try not to put too much effort in your answer.
    Let's say the BG already has the wife or one of your kids as a human shield.
    What...DOA all of them?

Nope..he wouldnt make it into my house..........alive.
    Brad B.

Administrator

Azg23

But the story IS (for whatever reason) that he did make it in.
    What then?

HE WILL NOT MAKE IT IN THE HOUSE.

You can continue to change this scenario...but as stated above we all have measures in place to protect against this. My bottom line is I will not allow someone into my home to get at my family. I would be firing from within the vehicle to keep him from freely gaining access to my family. And if he happened to get to the door and open it, I wont be sitting inside the truck..Ill be on him firing. Again..he will not get in...the whole reason I carry is to protect them at any cost.

Now...if you want to bring up another scenario....feel free, but do not discount my resolve to keep an intruder from my family. If I am standing there armed, it will not happen.

Now onto what you are getting at...if by forced entry..I get BG's in my house.I will go after them as stated above. I regularly "clear" my house (hard as it is alone) and have identified trouble spots, and what angles I need to be at to safely clear the layout of my home. Each home will hold a different challenge. This is an additional reason why I carry even when at home.

I will say that this would be the absolute worst scenario to be in. Good luck on this one folks...
    Brad B.

DC Founder
    I would clear the house all the way back to the wife as quickly as I could, which is, in my house, no small feat. The garage is on one end and the bedroom and our office is on the other end. But I know the house and it's hiding spots so I would get there as quickly as I could. I couldn't yell loud enough for her to understand what I was saying with me at the other end (I have a long, large house) and I would rather not tip the BG where I was anyway. If I encountered him along the way to the bedroom, I would shoot on the run with no commands, warnings or questions...

This would not happen at my house, however. I have a side loading tuck garage with no doors. And all five exterior doors are locked at all times, unless someone is walking through one. But assuming they were, for the sake of the scenario, my wife would be very vulnerable. She depends on me for security despite my pleading for her to learn to shoot a handgun, and would probably be caught in the "safety" of our house. Locked doors, alarm, a large dog and an adult son at home and me carrying she simply has a (false) sense of security.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    I would hunt this SOB down in my house and when I found him without question I would shoot him. If he had the wife as hostage I would make one of the hostage shots that I have trained for for so many years. The wife knows my attitude and knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am going to kill this guy ASAP. She would make one of a couple of moves that I have taught her and the BG's head would be available for a target. Less than a second later 230 grains of justice would meet an eye socket and then it's time to deal with 911.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I'll work with this since we don't have a garage (converted to a family room) and we'll also assume that the dogs are at the vet. Daughter is married and not at home, either.

Okay, I see some guy skulking around the corner of the house just as I pull into the driveway. He's headed to the rear of the home and the most vulnerable entry point: Wife's sewing area and French Doors there. It's late and I'm pretty sure wife is in bed watching TV. I roll out of the van and draw and I'm yelling for him to stop. He doesn't. I immediately enter the front door YELLING: HONEY WE HAVE COMPANY GET BETSY AND SAY HELLO!!!! I'll probably add: STAY IN YOUR ROOM AND IF YOU SEE HIM, KILL HIM!!! STAY WHERE YOU ARE, I'LL HANDLE THIS.

A long time ago, I named my very first 45 "Betsy" in honor of the little Derringer the Duke carried in the movie BIG JAKE. I taught my wife to shoot on this gun and she is quite familiar with it. We have rehearsed the possibility that somebody might get the drop on one of us at the front door and order us inside. They'll be wanting everybody in one room, so this accomodates this with a warning to the friendlies in the home that a hostile situation is in motion.

The person doing the warning and under the gun KNOWS that he/she has the responsibility to hit the floor by any means necessary as the responder is going to pick the first target standing and open fire. I'm in the process of moving the home defense guns from 1911's to Sig P220 with Surefire and Laser grips to make this process as DELIBERATE as possible and not an AD situation because the wife doesn't practice as often as I do or as often as she should!

I find somebody in my home with a prima facie intent to do harm (if he's there and the home is occupied, he is there to do harm) he dies, as soon as I acquire the target. Period. This is one of those situations that I would equate to combat against a terrorist and one with no options but to go to condition RED.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

This is one scenario we are already planning for when we decide to retire and BUILD our dream home: an earth sheltered "Hobbit House" as my wife calls them.
    1. http://www.daviscaves.com or http://www.formworksbuilding.com/ They are fireproof, mudslide proof, bulletproof, tornado/hurricane proof, earthquake proof maintenance free, nearly 100% energy efficient...did I say BULLET PROOF? Just to keep it on topic.

Here is the ULTIMATE retirement property for me and mine and this is exactly on topic here. Read thru the list of security/survival features.

http://www.ultimatesecurehome.com/
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    You said:
    "Bang,bang,bang.....D.O.A."
    Try not to put too much effort in your answer.
    Let's say the BG already has the wife or one of your kids as a human shield.
    What...DOA all of them?
    What does the BG have besides the wife/kid? How good a shot are you?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Being "GOOD" is relevant...

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    How good a shot are you?
    At ranges inside my home given an open shot to the head I'm pretty sure I can put a round into an eyeball 99% of the time. Problems always happen, there are variables. The point is that I'm willing to accept the responsibility for any actions taken in defense of my family 100% of the time. I'd rather act on the spot than wait for the ummmm TRAINED PROFESSIONALS to arrive in a couple of hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links