Dog Attack - Page 2

Dog Attack

This is a discussion on Dog Attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll tell you what my daughter did here In MI she pulled her CCW gun a .357 and shot the POS animal. You are required ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Attack

I'll tell you what my daughter did here In MI she pulled her CCW gun a .357 and shot the POS animal. You are required by law to have your dog under your own personal control at all times, and if it is attacking then it is either...
    A. you are being assaulted by the owner, or
    B. the animal is out of control and a vicious threat. Pull your gun and kill the dog now!!!

Let me tell you up front I have been the victim of a so called puppy that viciously attacked me, as have my oldest daughter on a separate instance, dogs are dangerous, killers, and can inflict lethal damage in very short order. After their attack you can suffer wounds that will either heal very slowly or not at all requiring amputation.
    I repeat Do not take that chance it is only a dog if it's owner cared for it, it would not be loose attacking you and your life is more important than someone pet!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

if fido doesnt stop with a good swift kick to the face then fido is getting some 9mm doggie treats.my shepard and boxer are always leashed and under my care and custody but if by chance they got out and for whatever reason decided to go postal for whatever reason even if i was not there i would not fault anyone for shooting them if they feel so threatened.it is our duty to control our pets they will always be animals and respond with instinct rather than rational. thank god mine like to gaurd the house via the couch this they excel at and playing with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I don't know that I would use a firearm, but I would kill the dog. Stave in the ribs, open the belly, it will stop. A well developed pit, or 130# + Rott, I would probably shoot.
    +1
    When I go jogging I wear my razor sharp neck knife. My wife calls it Pit Bull repellent.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Here in VA I'm aware of a couple incidents where shooting the dog did not go over well in court. One involved a bicyclist that was being chased and nipped at by a dog. Shot the dog while still on the bike. Judge said shooting was not justified because he could have gotten away.
    OTOH, I have had great success OCing a dog that seemed intent on causing me harm. I would posit that OCing a dog v. shooting it should be a very positive experience as it does not open you up to as much potential liability or criminal charges.
    Just another reason to carry OC all the time.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

pepper spray.... the OTHER white meat

Friends (husband and wife) were walking on the beach with their dog when a American Staffordshire terrier attacked the dog (an aging, monstrously-large rottweiler mix). No amount of kicking to the Staffie's head or underbelly did a damned thing. Let me repeat: zero damage from the kicking, which consisted of a dozen hard kicks by a 165-lb athletic adult, right in the head, ribs, balls. The dog just glanced up as if to say "... what's that, a mosquito bite?" When its owner came up, it finally let go. Sad to say, I think they still go out unarmed much of the time.

"Stave in its ribs"? Maybe. On a muscular, strong dog ... likely not.

I'm not able to put up concerted physical resistance for long (due to injury). A large, aggressive or dangerous dog can certainly do damage to an adult, even an athletic one. It would be very damaging to me, in a severe attack. No way will I allow that to continue. When I go out, I carry, both gun and blade. I'd like to hope that either could be brought to bear, if attacked. Have yet to have that happen, beyond simple, aggressive growling and posturing. I wouldn't have any problems with terminating a deadly assault by an animal on me. "Property"? Sure, from one narrow point of view. But it's my life in the balance. No question about the response: whatever is necessary to terminate the threat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Friends (husband and wife) were walking on the beach with their dog when a American Staffordshire terrier attacked the dog (an aging, monstrously-large rottweiler mix). No amount of kicking to the Staffie's head or underbelly did a damned thing. Let me repeat: zero damage from the kicking, which consisted of a dozen hard kicks by a 165-lb athletic adult, right in the head, ribs, balls. The dog just glanced up as if to say "... what's that, a mosquito bite?" When its owner came up, it finally let go. Sad to say, I think they still go out unarmed much of the time.

"Stave in its ribs"? Maybe. On a muscular, strong dog ... likely not.

I'm not able to put up concerted physical resistance for long (due to injury). A large, aggressive or dangerous dog can certainly do damage to an adult, even an athletic one. It would be very damaging to me, in a severe attack. No way will I allow that to continue. When I go out, I carry, both gun and blade. I'd like to hope that either could be brought to bear, if attacked. Have yet to have that happen, beyond simple, aggressive growling and posturing. I wouldn't have any problems with terminating a deadly assault by an animal on me. "Property"? Sure, from one narrow point of view. But it's my life in the balance. No question about the response: whatever is necessary to terminate the threat.
    I think anyone here would use the gun to protect self, but this thread was originally started regarding the protection of your own dog. Which, by Michigan law, is property.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

For those of you that picked the "Shoot Fido First Option" I would encourage you to take a look at the AZ Vs Fish Trial.

Remember, that all started over some dogs. The situation then escalated to human on human. True, no dogs or people were attacked, just barked at, but the "potential for attack" was there.

My use of force model for dogs goes something like this:

Voice
    Body Position
    Chemical Agent
    Knife
    Gun

In today's "PC" climate I would much rather use OC than have to explain myself for shooting somebodies "loveable lapdog" (sarcasm intended). I will use a knife on a dog, messy but very effective, because if the dog already has me down I want to make sure I don't do a through and through shot, or God forbid, miss the intended target.

The firearm is a LAST RESORT, and I will use it only as such. As far as a guy on a bicycle being able to get away from a dog, that Judge is an IDIOT! Dogs can run faster than we can pedal.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I don't know that I would use a firearm, but I would kill the dog. Stave in the ribs, open the belly, it will stop. A well developed pit, or 130# + Rott, I would probably shoot.
    Heh - google Giant Maso(looking into getting one myself actually) - By 9 or 10 months they're around 140# and adults run well into the 200#+ range. RPG anyone?

In all seriousness though... don't play around with animals. You never know when they're going to turn their aggression from your dog to you! Don't underestimate small dogs either...except those darn annoying chihuahas.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Here in VA I'm aware of a couple incidents where shooting the dog did not go over well in court. One involved a bicyclist that was being chased and nipped at by a dog. Shot the dog while still on the bike. Judge said shooting was not justified because he could have gotten away.
    OTOH, I have had great success OCing a dog that seemed intent on causing me harm. I would posit that OCing a dog v. shooting it should be a very positive experience as it does not open you up to as much potential liability or criminal charges.
    Just another reason to carry OC all the time.
    I tried that on a vicious dog once, was about as effective as tap water in a dime store squirt gun, it may or may not work for you but plain old Ammonia in that squirt gun is more effective

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach
    I think anyone here would use the gun to protect self, but this thread was originally started regarding the protection of your own dog. Which, by Michigan law, is property.
    True but you are still legally required to have it under your control at all times, if it goes on the attack you can legally defend and that includes shooting it. Believe me I know BTDT the police take a very dim view of a dog attacking anything period, especially after the rash of dog attacks last fall.
    Last edited by Sheldon J; April 3rd, 2007 at 06:36 PM.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I tend to agree with Sheldon...just shoot the dog if it appears that it is going to attack you. Do not ever let a dog bite you! Shoot it to the ground and keep your distance until it is no longer a threat. The after affects of a dog bite can be devastating physically and emotionally. And call the police immediately.

If you don't recognize agression in various breeds of dogs you may want to read up on it.

Also, talk to medical personnel who have taken care of dog bite victums. My advice...don't be one!

I was in this situation last week. I had my G19 on my person at the time. While inspecting a house, the neighbors dog (retriever mix)charged across the yard barking and growling. It crossed into my clients yard, and I glanced around. There was a spade shovel propped against the house not 3 feet from me. I grabbed the shovel- ready for battle. When I raised it and scolded the dog, it backed off and retreated into its yard.

I could have shot the dog, but drawing wasn't really needed. If the dog closed to bite, I would have taken its head off with the shovel. It's hard to explain, but I just knew the situation didnt require a gun yet.

For those of you who think taking on a large dog is easy... well, I've seen what their jaws can do to a doorknob. They can crush metal. If those jaws get around your wrist, the hand it's attached to probably won't ever work right again. If a dog is attacking my dog, I have no reason to believe that it won't attack me next since it's already shown aggression. If necessary the attacker will go down. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; April 4th, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Dogs are like guns.....they should be under your constant control, care, and supervision. We have some ignorant folks in my area that allow their Rot to run free. I have a three year old son and if it even comes anywhere close to him while he is playing in our yard I will shoot it stone cold dead.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    (I haven't met a dog yet I coudn't take by hand, if I can get behind/on top of it like a jujitsu artist, which chould be easy if he's attacking something else.

I've seen a couple of Neopolitan Mastiffs I would take a WIDE berth of. I know someone who was attacked by his Grandfathers Akittas. He did'nt fair too well, he's got scars all down his right arm. For a looooooong time he was DEATHLY afraid of dogs. Now, he is not a small guy(5'11", 225lbs) by any means, but he had no chance against that dog. I've also done decoy work for a guy who trains GSD's for police & personal protection, some of those dogs would leave quite the welt on my arms & legs, and that was thru a heavily paded bite suit. I would NOT take any chances with my or my dogs life. SHOOT FIRST.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links