Dog Attack - Page 3

Dog Attack

This is a discussion on Dog Attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted my thread here after my son was attacked by the neighbors German Shepherd...things I've learned: Know your state laws: in VIRGINIA (and I'm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog Attack

I posted my thread here after my son was attacked by the neighbors German Shepherd...things I've learned:

Know your state laws: in VIRGINIA (and I'm only writing about VIRGINIA) unless the dog is been previously deemed "dangerous", the dog get the benefit of doubt, especially if on it's own property (commonly referred to the "one free bite law")

Know your county code/ordinances: in my county (and I'm writing about my county), I am permitted to use the amount of force *I* deem necessary to protect humans, livestock, and property (i.e. my dog) if a strange dog appears on my property. If I were in a park or bike path, similiar rules apply (I just can't quote them right now).

Carry all of the time: If the dog will bite unprovoked once, he/she will bite again. Unfortunately my neighbors haven't caught on to that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KMBRTAC45 View Post
    I've seen a couple of Neopolitan Mastiffs I would take a WIDE berth of. I know someone who was attacked by his Grandfathers Akittas. He did'nt fair too well, he's got scars all down his right arm. For a looooooong time he was DEATHLY afraid of dogs. Now, he is not a small guy(5'11", 225lbs) by any means, but he had no chance against that dog. I've also done decoy work for a guy who trains GSD's for police & personal protection, some of those dogs would leave quite the welt on my arms & legs, and that was thru a heavily paded bite suit. I would NOT take any chances with my or my dogs life. SHOOT FIRST.
    I never said I'd take a big dog head to head, only that if you clinch on his back, wrap your legs around him, and control his neck (if your strong enough, and I believe that I am) the dog is no good at defending himself now. This usually requires him to be distracted (if he were eating my cocker spaniel, for instance) to get in position and suprise him. The biggest dog i've done this with was a great dane (a med-sized one, if there is such a thing). My first 2 jobs were for veterinarians.

If this dog were attacking me or a human though, I'd put him down. Just not before he is attacking me or a human. This is my understanding of what Michigan state law allows. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how they should handle their situation, only that their decision should be an informed one based on their laws and abilities, not emotion.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If it ever did come to that remember this... Finger tips and Tricia and squeeze real hard, regardless of how big or massive the head pressure here can and will collapse the airway, no breathe no live dog.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    My use of force model for dogs goes something like this:

Voice
    Body Position
    Chemical Agent
    Knife
    Gun
    Yeah...it all sounds great in theory.

In the one attack that I was involved in all except the gun would have been a waste of time.

Trying to use anything but deadly force on a big dog will get you hurt.
    Why take the chance ?

Each situation will be different and each situation must be judged to be benefit of the person, not the dog. While I have no doubt that some solutions will work on some dogs, and shooting a dog may not be needed in that particular case, I have known of several cases where anything less than several quickly placed shots would have resulted in a lot of time spent in pain and recuperation.

My thoughts on this are simple.

Why should I take the risk of getting bit while I am carrying a gun?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah...it all sounds great in theory [re Voice, Body Position, Chemical Agent, Knife, Gun]. In the one attack that I was involved in all except the gun would have been a waste of time. Trying to use anything but deadly force on a big dog will get you hurt. Why take the chance ?
    Because there is pain and then beyond that there's damage. Not all dogs are a threat to life, no matter how much we dislike being bitten.

I've had a large, aggressive, athletic (and bloody strong!) rottweiler force me to toe the line. I've never felt so submissive in all my life. Nothing short of a gun to the head would have stopped him, had he attacked.

I have had one instance of an actual attack by a medium-sized dog (mutt), where he was all over me before I could react. Couldn't have gotten to a gun easily, even had I been carrying then. He bit my hand and held on, with my fingers fully inside his mouth ... so I rammed my hand down the back of his throat as hard as I could muster. The dog immediately halted his attack, withdrew and quickly left. Anything smaller than that dog (large-ish blue heeler type) can be kicked, thrown, bent or rammed-down-the-throat to decent effect. Won't work with some dogs, sure. But then, few dogs are the size, strength or aggressiveness to actually kill or be a threat of doing so.

I'm not mentioning this to suggest one should choose the less-than-lethal path. What I am saying is that the lethal-force path may well not be necessary or justified, no matter how fearful of sharp bites one may be. Depends on the dog and the situation, absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not mentioning this to suggest one should choose the less-than-lethal path. What I am saying is that the lethal-force path may well not be necessary or justified, no matter how fearful of sharp bites one may be. Depends on the dog and the situation, absolutely.
    Agreed.

I had to blast a large pit bull awhile back. He had had his vocal cords removed so as not to alert whatever he was attacking. He was a trained guard dog owned by some known drug dealers.

I simply did not have time to do anything except draw and fire and considered myself lucky to do that. The dog died and my feet.I had blood on my boots. It was too close for comfort.

Same situation...with a rather fierce Chihuahua that wanted to eat me.. a simple kick sent him flying across the yard.He hit the ground running... the other way. End of threat...and realistically not much of one at that.

A serious dog needs to be dealt with seriously.One may not have the luxury of time to think about it, then draw,then fire.

I was almost too slow once. It aint happening again.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links