Actual Usage of Concealed Carry. - Page 2

Actual Usage of Concealed Carry.

This is a discussion on Actual Usage of Concealed Carry. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I drew my gun one time when a buddy and I were attacked while on a fishing trip. This defused a bad situation in a ...

View Poll Results: Concealed Carry

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never been in position to consider drawing weapon.

138 53.49%
  • Considered drawing weapon but did not draw, retreated or other.

45 17.44%
  • Drew weapon but kept it out of sight at the ready.

24 9.30%
  • Drew weapon and presented it in defense of self or other but did not fire.

39 15.12%
  • Drew weapon and fired for defense of self or others.

8 3.10%
  • Other, please state.

4 1.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actual Usage of Concealed Carry.

I drew my gun one time when a buddy and I were attacked while on a fishing trip. This defused a bad situation in a hurry.The BGs made a hasty retreat giving us time to load our boat and leave. It took thirty minutes for the cops to show after I called them. This is one situation that could have escalated had it not been for a gun.

Mobile, Alabama about 1998. We had been out with my parents to eat and were picking up my truck which we had parked across the street from Adams Mark Hotel at ~2100 hours. As I was walking to my truck 2 men walking down the sidewalk came towards me. I saw them and they were both looking at me. I was at my truck but did not have the door opened and they were moving closer but still about 10 to 15 yards away. All I did was drop my hand to my right side in preparation for drawing my little Colt 380 that was in my jeans back pocket - and one of the guys said to me "hey man don't shoot me" I responded by telling him to don't give me a reason to MF ! I told him and his pal to stay away from me and they did turning away and going on down the street. I was real close to drawing but did not. These 2 clowns were up to no good as I did not make a fast move I just moved my hand down by my side and faced them. I was convinced they were getting ready to jump me.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Birmingham, Alabama about 1993. Had to ride down several floor on an elevator. After going down 1 floor, the elevator stopped, the doors opened and 2 unsavory looking individuals got on. I was carrying a Taurus PT-99 in a shoulder holster under a light jacket. When I saw them, I eased the retention snap open. When they backed me into the corner, I drew my weapon. Placed it right under the nose of the individual closet to me. He looked crosseyed at the top of the slide while the other individual started punching the door open button. When the door finally opened, they fled and I rode the rest of the way down with the Taurus in my hand under the jacket.

have had a couple times where i was glad i had it but have never drawn on a person. Was biking in the mountains and came upon a bear in the road. It was not real impressed with me or my friend and walked toward us and then into the bushes. Very glad i had my .40 with me(i know not the best bear defender, but if he was gonna eat me, i'd make it be a painful dinner.)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Never Have...Hopefully, Never Will...

have to pull a weapon on someone. But, as it has been said so many times, BG's only strike at two times...when you are armed and ready , and when you are not...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was down in the projects one day and was turning around. When trying to get out of a narrow parking lot entrance in the rear of the place a typical gangbanger type vehicle (you know the type) loaded with four young males (you know the type) pulled in front of me and stopped crosswise of the exit, blocking me from exiting.

There was no one around except me and them. They were looking at me with disdain for a few moments in a sort of Mexican standoff situation. Then the two in the back started to move to open their doors and get out. I picked up my .357 mag revolver w/ 6" barrel from under the front seat and very conspicuously layed it on the dash of my truck while starring the driver right in the eyes. we were nearly bumper to bumper.

He found the reverse gear very quickly and the two in the back seemed to change their minds in regard to exiting the vehicle. I drove away without further incident.

That's the only civilian incident that I have ever had where I actually showed a weapon.
    Last edited by sgtD; April 7th, 2007 at 10:56 AM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

While at work bartending after helping a customer, I got into three fights with a bunch of bilkers. Well after being hit couple of times I decide to go behind the bar where I keep my gun.After drawing my gun at one of the bikers they decided to leave and outside their was ten police cars waiting on them. I ask the cops later why they didn't come in and their ansewer was they didn't know if they had guns on them. One cop ask me why I didn't shot one of them

I've had 3 occasions in the last 10 years when I've actually drawn a pistol and been ready to use it, fortunately did not need to any of the 3 times. Two were bumps in the middle of the night, one of them being burgular alarm going off because a downstairs window got jostled by a would be robber. The 3rd occasion was in my car when I got stuck in a bad part of town at the wrong time and it began to look like I was going to get attacked by hoodlums on foot armed with bats. That time fortunately they were looking for other trouble, and no one outside my car saw that I was locked and ready. Each of the 3 times though it felt mighty comforting to be able to hold on to a loaded pistol, let me tell you. When there's a bump in the middle of the night, or in that bad part of town situation, things happened very quickly. Not having a weapon would have put a much worse complexion on each situation.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Haven't been in any situations as a civilian.

I would disagree with the below statement. Where legal to do so, such as in Colorado, you must be courageous enough to stand your ground and not let a criminal commit a crime and drive law abiding citizens from places where they have a right to be.

Evil triumphs when good me do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    Never been in a situation I couldn't avoid or retreat from. When you are carrying you MUST be courageous and honorable enough to retreat when that is an available option.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Once on a BIG dog in my yard, Luckily for Mr dog it decided to leave at the right time,Saved its own life.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

voted drew weapon no shoots fired,,,
    this is the one i will relate.
    my close call was in a mall parking lot, around christmas time last year, we were leaving the mall got to the truck. guy parked next to me gets out and tells me to hand him my keys to the truck which i did then he wants my money, gave to him, and his buddy tells me they are gonna take my boy till they leave the lot at that point i draw my gun smash the safty off and as i'm ready to discharge at the guy holding the knife they drop everything and run. i called the cops they take my statement the guys knife and impound the car. later about 3 weeks later the cops call me and tell me they caught the guys and asked if i would come and identify them because they beat the last person they robbed so bad he was unconcise for 4 weeks.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
    Mobile, Alabama about 1998. We had been out with my parents to eat and were picking up my truck which we had parked across the street from Adams Mark Hotel at ~2100 hours. As I was walking to my truck 2 men walking down the sidewalk came towards me. I saw them and they were both looking at me. I was at my truck but did not have the door opened and they were moving closer but still about 10 to 15 yards away. All I did was drop my hand to my right side in preparation for drawing my little Colt 380 that was in my jeans back pocket - and one of the guys said to me "hey man don't shoot me" I responded by telling him to don't give me a reason to MF ! I told him and his pal to stay away from me and they did turning away and going on down the street. I was real close to drawing but did not. These 2 clowns were up to no good as I did not make a fast move I just moved my hand down by my side and faced them. I was convinced they were getting ready to jump me.
    Mobile can be a rough place. In nearly the same place as gamboolman had his encounter, I had one too.
    This was the parking garage of the same Adams Mark hotel he speaks of. It has a sky walk pedestrian bridge that goes from the parking structure to the convention center across Water Street. I had parked in the garage and walked across the bridge to a computer show held there in early summer of 2000. As I walked back to my truck I saw two thugs breaking into a car on the same level as my truck. In fact the car they broke into was just 7 or 8 spaces away from my truck.

They spotted me and started walking towards me fast asking for some spare change. One had some type of stick or pipe or something that he had used to break the window of the car I saw them reaching into. It was the sound of the breaking glass that drew my attention to them.

I knew there was no way for me to get my keys out, unlock the truck and get in, start it, back out and drive off before they were on me so I had no real other option. I drew what I was carrying at the time, my Taurus PT-111 and aimed at the closest one. They stopped dead in their tracks and both said things like "Hey man, we don't want no trouble" to which I said that they should get the hell out of there if they really don't want trouble.
    They ran, I got in my truck and drove down to the little booth where the parking attendant/security moron sat half asleep (this was about 9pm) and told him about it. He talked into a radio to the other security moron who was "patrolling" the garage in a golf cart ( a rather heavy female with her right leg in a cast no less). I asked if they wanted me to stick around for the cops, they said no, they weren't calling the cops, the owner of the car would have to do that. So, I told them they sucked at their jobs and I would never use the facility again and went home.

The computer show was crap too by the way. All in all, pretty much a wash out as far as the night goes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wink Forum Member's Signature Line

Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    When you are carrying you MUST be courageous and honorable enough to retreat when that is an available option.
    I'm reminded of a signature line used by a member of this forum quoting the late great Jeff Cooper: "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Discretion may be the better part of valor, but leaving wolves in close proximity to the sheep is not the calling of a sheepdog. When does courage and honor ever equate to cowardice?

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/1..._hang_wit.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

at the time did not have a weapon but wished I had.... 300 lb guy got out of his car and started banging on my truck window because I stopped to close to him. there was no way I could leave without going past him. finally he just walked off. i almost pissed my pants. no way the cops would have made it there fast enough... if he had made it into my truck I wouldn't have stood a chance

Talking Don't Forget...

Quote Originally Posted by glockgirl16 View Post
    at the time did not have a weapon but wished I had.... 300 lb guy got out of his car and started banging on my truck window because I stopped to close to him. there was no way I could leave without going past him. finally he just walked off. i almost pissed my pants. no way the cops would have made it there fast enough... if he had made it into my truck I wouldn't have stood a chance
    Don't forget...you're SITTING in a weapon! If you must, use it as such. If somebody manages to make it past the passenger door or even the driver's door, before they get all the way in and can sit...take off! Don't let 'em get a handhold. Swerve, stomp on the brakes, whatever it takes to dislodge the unwelcome visitor. You might even consider ummm rubbing up against a solid object like a WALL or concrete light pole. I'd advise against another car especially if occupied and moving. Some folks might not appreciate the sudden blood curdling scream abruptly choked off! Then it can get messy to clean....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links