Which civilian occupation is most dangerous? - Page 4

Which civilian occupation is most dangerous?

This is a discussion on Which civilian occupation is most dangerous? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe that convienience store clerk actually IS the most dangerous job in the US followed by firefighter... and a CCW isn't usually going to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which civilian occupation is most dangerous?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I believe that convienience store clerk actually IS the most dangerous job in the US followed by firefighter... and a CCW isn't usually going to help a firefighter.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I don't know what this has to do with the thread really, but the tree huggers spike the trees so the wood won't make decent lumber, therefore the loggers won't cut it. Their intent is to destroy the economic value of the wood and save the tree, not kill the logger.

Never the less, it is still idiocy.
    Being a California boy, and former UC Davis student, I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. A few spikes in the bottom 10' or so of a 100' tree doesn't damage the value of the wood much, but it DOES cause the chain on the saw to break and snap back at the lumberjack. The tree spikers sometimes let it be known that they spiked some trees in a given area with the intent that the logging companies would decide it was too dangerous to cut in that area. Some of the more militant ones wouldn't say anything in the hope that the evil loggers would be injured.

Some of the crazies I had to endure while an ROTC cadet at Davis would happily trade a human life to save a tree or bunny.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; April 7th, 2007 at 01:04 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

The tree spiking is all well documented in the Edward Abby books.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I don't know what this has to do with the thread really, but the tree huggers spike the trees so the wood won't make decent lumber, therefore the loggers won't cut it. Their intent is to destroy the economic value of the wood and save the tree, not kill the logger. They often inform the forestry companies of the spikings and mark the trees to make themselves feel better and avoid hurting people.

Never the less, it is still idiocy and a form of terrorism.

I cast my vote for hooker as the most dangerous job.
    The tree spikers are terrorists. They pound the spike out of sight into the tree. Even if they had a ten digit map coordinate or higher, twelve digits, there is no way even the spikers could know exactly which trees they hit or where on the trunk. To tell the companies of specific trees would negate all that effort. Besides, they really DO want to kill loggers. Anybody running into them whilst they ply their merry trade is liable to get hurt. Thus the firearm requirement.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Tanksoldier:

I attend FL Gulf Coast University and I'm an Enivironmental Studies major, so I am all too familiar with the tree/bunny huggers. Let me also say that I am not against cutting trees or in favor of tree spiking. I am also sure that there are some real radicals who would want to kill loggers, but for the most part they want to "save the trees" I should have worded it better probably in regard to the economic part of spiking. Yes, tree spiking does damage the board lumber. Any time the legth of a tree is affected in some way by something that makes it so that the boards cut from it are not good the tree is of less value. That's why the old growth trees with split trunks or major trunk damage are usualy not cut for lumber. At the same time though, you are correct in that the economics is also affected by the loss of equipment which is broken due to the spikes.

EX Soldier:

Sometimes they do mark the trees, sometimes they don't. Here's why: IF the trees aren't marked the wackos will tell the foresters that the trees have been spiked in a certain area. Then the foresters will not know which trees are and which aren't spiked so they will abandon cutting in the entire area for fear of loss of equipment or injury. You also have a point about running into these idiots while their doing their dirty work.

I won't write anymore, because I sound like I'm defending the idiots, but here is a quote from some of the wackos:

Informing the world
    *All the spikes in Alfred Hall won’t protect the forest if you don’t make sure anyone thinking about timbering the land knows that the forest has been spiked. If they cut down half the forest before hitting enough nails to wake them up, then what’s the point? It might also be argued that you could be held liable for any injury that occurs due to your spiking, unless you make sure all potentially impacted will be aware of the spiking.
    http://ragette.org/treespike/how.htm

I still think being a hooker is more dangerous than logging.
    Last edited by sgtD; April 7th, 2007 at 12:33 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Prosecuting Attorneys...

...I'd watch my back if I convicted scum, they might get out some day.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Wink Cost of Doin' BIDNESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Hulk View Post
    Prosecuting Attorneys...

Naaaawwww, the Prosecutor does his job. The BG gets convicted. Unless he's facing life without parole or the death penalty he's going to get "three hots and a cot" as they say and learn some new skills from other... better predators. That's the biz!

The lawyer who needs to watch his back is the DEFENSE attorney who messed up the case and failed...at least in the eyes of the BG because he will still demand his FEE and take it from perp assets, even if that means doing financial damage to spouse and children. That too is "the biz."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Anyone who deals with medications, money, criminals, or strangers. Anyone who is in a position of being responsible for the safety of others, anyone who has to travel to, from or during work needs to CCW.

As a nurse working the med room in a rehab clinic there was a couple of times when I wished I was allowed to have been armed.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Stop & Rob workers. Two BGs held up the place where my sister used to work. She locked herself in the restroom and called 911 after they left. She refused to come out until one of the responding LEOs slid his ID under the door.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Diamond couriers. I came close to this world for a short time years ago. The guys who might be after you are pro's and the financial stakes are huge for them. You want to retire in that career field you really gotta be good.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Diamond couriers. I came close to this world for a short time years ago. The guys who might be after you are pro's and the financial stakes are huge for them. You want to retire in that career field you really gotta be good.
    I read an article about traveling diamon salesmen being targeted by robbers recently. One of the things it mentioned is that some of them are hiring ex-Isreali Defense Forces soldiers as bodyguards. If you need the IDF to protect you, you're probably doing something dangerous!

Don't know what is the most dangerous, as there are many that
    could qualify; but I go armed everyday, as I'm in firearm sales~!

And, I don't want to be robbed of my money or my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Hulk View Post
    Prosecuting Attorneys...

Can be dangerous.

Back in the early 80s, we had a prosecutor here get shot when he answered his door one morning. The perp was the girlfriend of the convict he put away.

The lawyer that got shot outside the courthouse in CA a couple of years back was a probate attorney. Shooter got cut out of his inheritance.

I still think hooker is the most dangerous job though.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    My husband's a social worker and gets to travel to less than inviting neighborhoods and homes. A social worker was murdered during a home visit a few months ago, and that was in Kentucky.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    sgtD: You may be correct about the actual effect of tree spiking, and the attitude of "responsible" tree spikers... but I overheard several braggarts, trying to get into tree-hugger girls' pants, and economic loss was not their stated goal.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links