angry guy wants to fight

angry guy wants to fight

This is a discussion on angry guy wants to fight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm walking home from the store with my wife, just about the time we hit our drive...... A guy in a pickup Squeals his tires ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: angry guy wants to fight

angry guy wants to fight

I'm walking home from the store with my wife, just about the time we hit our drive......

A guy in a pickup Squeals his tires and tries to hit 60 mph before he gets to the end of the block.

My wife say's, "theres that guy that is always speeding, get his license plate"........

So, I'm scaring at this guy as he speeds by.........he looks me down and stomps on the brakes............I continue to look......he slams it in reverse and backs up to me and opens his door and asks "what am I looking at?"

I told him "he was driving to fast and it would be nice if he slowed down"

He said "he would be glad to fight anyone who had a problem with him".

Anyhow I stood my ground and did not end up fighting......I'm not sure why he did not make good his threat.

My 9mm is in my belly-pack easy access draw..........I don't want to go there, but I don't want to get my but kicked and all taken from me either...........

Normally I don't care how others drive, I would not have been in the situation if my wife had not mentioned it.

I guess I could have said "thanks for stopping" and went around to the back of his truck and started taking his license plate...............Start carrying a pen and paper.

Any other options?

BTW I really don't like the thought of a fist fight mainly because I use my hands to make a living.
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 9th, 2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: correct minor typo

just glad it ended where it did.

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    Any other options?
    Take your wife, walk up the driveway, enter the house, and lock the door behind you. If he jumps you while you're withdrawing up the driveway or tries to get into your house, you're in a much better legal position than engaging him down on the edge of the street. This guy is a jerk, but getting his plate number isn't worth a deadly force confrontation if you can help it.
    Last edited by Team American; April 10th, 2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: language clean-up...

Lead Moderator
    Getting info, along with explaining to PD how the guy acted will get better results. Most blow hards back down when confronted. If he doesn't , PD can handle it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'd call the PD and report his excessive and regular speeding. Start establishing the facts early.

Sounds like that dude needs an attitude adjustment. If he keeps looking for one, he'll find it someday.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Take your wife, walk up the driveway, enter the house, and lock the door behind you. If he jumps you while you're withdrawing up the driveway or tries to get into your house, you're in a much better legal position than engaging him down on the edge of the street. This guy is a jerk, but getting his plate number isn't worth a deadly force confrontation if you can help it.
    Really good point.

When he hit the brakes I got tunnel vision and forgot all about my wife..............she would have been in a safe place in our yard, but......If I was getting beat up I'm sure she whould get involved.....not the best.

If I retreated her to the house first, I would have had much better leagle grounds for "protecting" my wife on my property.

Good advice.
    Last edited by Team American; April 10th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

kpw
    Carrying sometimes means you have to take a lot of crap. Your macho and ego have to stay home. I'm not saying your guilty of any of that just my idea if I was in your situation. Walk away and keep your mouth shut. If he pushes it past that, it's on him. Sometimes that's so hard to do but you have to think about the consequences of letting somebody drag you into a bad situation.

Your life is not worth this hoodlum. Though, your lives don't seem that important to him. Bear that in mind, when you take preparations. He has already taken the verbal and physical threats to near-implementation phase. He's made his intent clear. You're an inch from being attacked, when he does that. Your lives are in danger, if he's that livid. Be careful. It's not unreasonable to think he also knows weaponry. Why not? You do. If he takes it to the next level and is armed, it will explode in an instant.

Caution is due, if he knows where you live. He seems a destructive powder keg waiting to blow, and he just might blow sideways in your direction ... or right over you and your wife.

Ditto on establishing the facts. Now. Document it. Ensure the police know about this guy. Ensure they know how he's instilling fear with his posturing, threats and physical actions. He's spoiling for a confrontation. I'd strongly suggest ensuring that the police know who the good guy is, before he blows. Now, that tactic brings with it a whole set of probable results, including his knowing who is "doing this to him." You might speak with your neighbors. Get everyone into the act. That way, it's not just you, whom he can single out and attack. There's strength in numbers. This tactic can help protect everyone, should it come to confrontation (as he seems destined to force).

If your wife doesn't carry now, get her to apply for her license, train to carry. Both of you, train on how you'll work as a team in a situation that seems likely to occur.

Keep your doors locked. If he knows where you live, train on entry/exit of the house, lest you get taken unawares.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 10th, 2007 at 12:36 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Carrying sometimes means you have to take a lot of crap. Your macho and ego have to stay home. I'm not saying your guilty of any of that just my idea if I was in your situation. Walk away and keep your mouth shut. If he pushes it past that, it's on him. Sometimes that's so hard to do but you have to think about the consequences of letting somebody drag you into a bad situation.
    No, I am guilty.

My wife said "the ruster came out".

I agree.

A nobler mind set would have been to walk away when the tires stopped.

I did not want to look like a chicken.

Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Caution is due, if he knows where you live. He seems a destructive powder keg waiting to blow, and he just might blow sideways in your direction ... or right over you and your wife.

Keep your doors locked. If he knows where you live, train on entry/exit of the house, lest you get taken unawares.
    Always like your take on matters ccw9mm......thanks

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with reporting the incident now either, if this guy is as much of a maniac as he sounds like, he's likely to have contact with the local constabulary sometime in the near future. Not to mention it establishes for the record that the guy has already made threats against you, in the case you have another run in with him that doesn't go quite so smoothly as this one. If you have good local LEO's they're liable to set up a speed trap based on info you give them also. If nothing else a reckless driving ticket may get him to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Agreed.

I believe one of the greatest phrases one can embody when carrying is : "Discretion is the better part of valor" or in this case the better part of self preservation.

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

This guy had problem a long time before you came along. No sense egging him on because he will get his attitude adjustment before long. I read an article a while back where the same thing happened but it ended up with the bad guy getting shot. The BG was the neighborhood bully and started the whole thing. The BG ended up dead and the good guy was charged with man slaughter. This (BG)isn't worth your time. He will do himself in sooner or later. This is the kind that likes to beat up on women. Read ccw9mm's comments . He has the right idea on how to deal with this jerk.
    Last edited by Tom G; April 9th, 2007 at 11:58 PM.

A cell phone and 911. No paper and pencil - use the voice recorder. Usually these type of @#%$^@# will get out of the area if they see someone on a cell phone.

I would not talk to him, but proceed home. Then you are on safe legal ground if it gets ugly, but I doubt this jerk was much more than a big ego inflated with hot air.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links