"Interviewed" today.

This is a discussion on "Interviewed" today. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe I was interviewed today by a prospective criminal. Then again, I could be wrong and I could have just been paranoid. Either way, ...

Thread: "Interviewed" today.

"Interviewed" today.

I believe I was interviewed today by a prospective criminal. Then again, I could be wrong and I could have just been paranoid. Either way, I'm pleased with the outcome. So here's what happened:

I go to class at Wayne State University in downtown Detroit. It was about 8:15, getting kind of dark outside, and not too many people walking around. I was walking toward one of the parking structures where my car was parked. I was about half a block from the structure when I spotted a guy standing on the corner in front of the entrance. At first I just thought he was waiting for a bus, but then I noticed that he was asking people for change. Now, this guy wasn't a bum; he was wearing a nice, clean Carhartt jacket and some Timberland boots-nicer clothes than I can afford (granted I'm a broke college student and I'd rather buy guns than cloths, but I digress) and he's asking for 50 cents. At this point, my radar is up so I make sure not to get too close to this guy, but I have to go past him to get into the structure. I keep at least 10-15 feet between me and him and keep my eyes on him. He asks me for the 50 cents, and I decide to give him the benefit of the doubt and put my hand into my pocket for some change. At this point, he starts acting nervous and looking around and puts his hand in his pocket. So instead of grabbing change, I put my hand on my folder and tell him no. He stands there for a minute looking me over, and says "thanks anyway" and turns away. Since his back was to me, I figured it was safe to go and I went into the structure and up to my car, keeping an eye on him until I was in the elevator with the door closed, then I drove home.

This was the first time something like this has happened to me. I think I did alright, though about half an hour later I realized I probably should have called the campus police and reported this guy. I just hope I don't hear about someone getting robbed or attacked on campus tomorrow. I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Sounds about right. calling PD is a good idea as well. Good job, stay safe out there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wayne State University...

Great place...nice neighborhood...yeah, right!

(Grew up 20-30 minutes away from WSU...and it was bad 40 years ago...)

I decided long ago to avoid those kinds of guys like the plague...I would certainly keep my eyes open, but I would ignore the request, maybe just shake my head, "No!"

I think your intincts of potential trouble were honest...you did fine, but I would not have offered anything. I don't think the police could do anything about simple 'begging'...

OMO

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 10th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

you did good, and in hind sight yeah you should have given a heads up to the pd but you are alive and gonna see another day so all is good.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Well done!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the responses. It's situations like this that make me wonder why concealed carry is illegal on college campuses. They're not all that safe in general.

It could have been a woman student and might have gone the other way. I think I would have called the police just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, many college campuses, including my alma mater Ohio State, are located in what's known as the mid-town corridor. This is the area between downtown and the burbs. While many downtown areas around the nation are being cleaned up and revitalized, these mid-town areas are now the most dangerous parts of town. I think it is ludicrous not to allow carry in these areas.

Any encounter you walk away from is a good one?

I work at WSU and I know what you mean. We've had several armed robberies INSIDE some of our building. The most recent one that I've heard of was the one you go to to pay your tuition.

I really hate that I can't even carry to work and leave my piece in the car. Of course, we have our share of auto thefts too, but still.

Welcome to the forum.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Here in central Bama'Land, anywhere around the UAB campus in
    good ole' Bombingham (aka: Birmingham) is a very dangerous
    place at night. I suggest that students walk is pairs; or three's is
    even better. Just last week they had a mob scene right in front
    of the ER entrance of the adjoining hospital. One dude had been
    plugged at school, and he arrived DOA; so in retaliation, his home
    boys took the fight to the hospital where gunfire and fighting
    erupted again.

These kind's of acts makes NO sense, but it happens everyday
    somewhere in North America. Some persons have NO respect
    for themselves; so in turn they do not know how to respect
    others~! UAB probably leads the nation in unreported crimes,
    for fear of retaliation; everything from muggings, rapes, and
    YES- even murder.

So, stay safe and be aware of your surroundings at all
    times.

TPO
    I believe you were being assessed. You did well, put your hand in your pocket on your folder, stayed calm, spoke softly and moved on. Never underestimate what knife can do in close quarters in the hands of a skilled/trained individual. Even in the hands of the unskilled a knife can be deadly, with a little luck....at 10-15 feet a knife in the hand is better than a pistol in the holster....unless the other guy has the drop on you with a gun in hand. When in doubt call the cops and relate what happened. You did well!!

Yeah, many college campuses, including my alma mater Ohio State, are located in what's known as the mid-town corridor. This is the area between downtown and the burbs. While many downtown areas around the nation are being cleaned up and revitalized, these mid-town areas are now the most dangerous parts of town. I think it is ludicrous not to allow carry in these areas.
    Come on Thinkat, ther campus area is beautiful and peaceful, nothing ever happens here, and I never get interviewed by all the beggars on High Street. I don't have to deal with drunken fights on nearly a weekly basis at the bars I work at. The current figure is something like 1/4 female students on campus will be sexually assaulted or raped. Theft is a major problems in the dorms, as well as off campus, with home invasions, burglaries, and the theft of cars and car parts. O yeah, and drugs are non-existant here too, along with the violence they bring. (sarcasm off)

Yeah right, sarcasm off. I'd like to carry on campus, but can't, only for a few more months though. Maybe someday someone will see the light and all the good that CC on college campus' could bring, like they did in Utah.

For Slomo, sounds like ya did good, calling the PD might have been a good idea, when I had an "interesting" walk home from the gym a couple months ago I didn't think to report it until much later too. Stay safe around campus, because predator's know people their don't have tools to help defend themselves. Invest in a good quality flashlight like a surefire, and keep that with ya. Some places also don't care about things like mace or kubotans, or even pocketknives, which can be better than nothing. Stay alert, and keep safe.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hey guys, unfortunately I've been interviewed on several different occasions, but one time,
    I was hiking an easily accessible trail in the local mountains of when I came around a corner and saw three gang-banger looking "youths" sort of lazily walking in my general direction. I mention they were gang-banger looking, one, because they were, and two, because they were dressed like gang-bangers, not wearing hiking garb and having no backpacks etc. As a matter of fact one was holding a big stripped tree branch that was essentially a club/staff. It was also clear to me that they were sort of loitering, not walking/hiking anywhere with any sort of purpose. This and the fact that all of their eyes fixed on me immediately, tracking me, as soon as they saw me made my "oh $&%t" meter go off. I mentally prepared for the interview (got the time? got change for a 20? etc). So as soon as they saw me I put on my best tough guy face, made sure I was walking with the elan and attitude of a Special Forces trooper, made sure I made eye contact with all of them sequentially and smoothly but in a sort of confident but disinterested way, just enough to let them think that I'd seen them, wasn't particularly too concerned about them and that I didn't see myself as prey and them as predators. Inside I was really, err..producing bricks with my rectum, also because gang members in that area had been said to kill people as part of their "initiations" into their respective gangs (maybe this was an urban myth actually, but this definitely flashed in my mind). As I walked toward them they continued to look at me. The trail here was more of a mountain access road at this point, so I cut a line to keep right so as to keep max distance between us as I would pass them. As soon as I was about 15 feet away sure enough, one of them asked me "hey man, what time is it?" Without missing a beat or looking at my watch (that was obviously on my wrist), still keeping my walking speed, direction and poise, I looked at him squarely in the eyes and said " 'bout 12 o'clock" in my best Harry Callahan voice. Now at this point I had also placed my hand in my hiking sack with my fingers wrapped around my Glock17 (that was unfortunately in Condition 3/empty chamber, as it wasn't in a secure holster as I didn't expect trash like this hanging around this particular trail). I kept walking, past them, and after a few more steps I swiveled my head around my left shoulder and gave them a quick look. They had essentially stopped and were looking at me as I was striding away. I looked back forward and focused as hard as I could on my hearing, to hear a quick approach toward me. I was as poised as a cat on a wire and ready to draw my pistol, spin around, and do my best Israeli quick chamber action and yell at them to "freeze and get on the ground", or Lord forbid fire if I saw weapons. Obviously, not the best scenario since they could have been on my in a heartbeat or two, but I really had no other choice other than to stop and pretend to tie my shoe while checking them out to see if they walked away, but then they could have used the excuse to engage me in a more extensive interview, or even start the "watch u looking at man" routine. Also my weapon was not in a condition for quick fire and they were still very close, so I decided to just make steady steam ahead as poised as possible to resist if they decided to mob me. Fortunately it would appear I "failed" the interview as they were sort of left flat footed. I quickly found myself out of sight around another bend in the road, chambered a round, sprinted for 20 meters or so and stepped into the bushes taking a position of ambush as I waited to see if they were coming after me. I forced myself to wait around 5 or so min, just sitting there hidden from view listening intently (silly perhaps, but I even did the close your eyes and cup your hands behind the ears trick to augment my hearing, that really does work by the way). Anyway, thank goodness they didn't follow, and I resumed my hiking away and up in the forest. As I came back down, and especially as I neared my car I kept my vigilance up and my handgun in my hand hidden from view in my shoulder sack. No trouble luckily and I went on my way. In a similar position these days I make sure I have my weapon (a .40 USP compact these days) holstered and in a condition for ready fire. Anyway, sorry for the novel, but I thought I'd share this with you all.
    Last edited by Son Of Vlad Tepes; April 16th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

Links