Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies??

Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies??

This is a discussion on Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question for Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies?? I have never gotten a home defense shotgun for fear of hitting a family member ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies??

Question Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies??

Question for Home Defense Shotgun Users-Do you fear hitting friendlies?? I have never gotten a home defense shotgun for fear of hitting a family member in a hostage situation (my personal greatest fear for a break-in scenario - hey, some folks are deathly afraid of snakes!!!). I did use a shotgun back in my former cop life, but just to qualify twice a year at the range. My kids sleep in a different wing of the house, no way to change that given the house plan. Am I worrying too much??

No, you are not thinking too much! You need to think about load and floorplan.

I don't. Nope. No kids, or others in house. Have it loaded with 00 Buck. Closest neighbor is two brick walls and 1/2 mile away.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Shotguns do not eliminate everything in the room, I do believe you are worrying too much (your words) and need to take a HD shotgun tutorial course.
    There was a piece on the Personal Defense TV show where they had three metal targets next to each other, really close to each other, they shot the center one with a shotgun and the other two stayed up.

VIP Member
    something for you to consider, practice practice practice....get to know your scattergun like a family member, practice with 00 and slugs to know how your gun shoots at different ranges, etc

as for me, house plan is good, one hallway to cover to protect or bedrooms and the mossberg 500 with 7 rounds of 00 would be nasty to face

as for a hostage situation, thats a whole other story, my HK USP 45 or AK would be more appropriate if the circumstances were right
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    Have you considered an AR15 carbine?

The modern 5.56 loads, like hornady's 55gr TAP are supposed to be less hazardous after passing through a typical interior wall than a 9mm is.

You have the precision if you need it, with plenty of stopping power.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If you are worried about over penetration you could load up with #4 shot instead of 00 or slugs. Less penetration but still a good amount in soft targets. If its paterning, IIRC cylinder bore gives you one inch of spread per yard from the muzzle.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I think you worry too much.

As 0.02 said, "take a defensive shotgun course." It will answer most of your questions and will help to prepare you mentally to use one if the time should ever come.

As for ammo type:

00 Buck is over-hyped as a defensive round. It is NOT the "be all end all". It is more common because it is more readily available. #1 Buck is better, 16 pellets instead of 9, offers more coverage and provide better wound characteristics, and will not penetrate walls as easilly as 00. I have my home defense shotguns loaded with #1 Buck, but carry slugs in the side saddles. That way I can tailor my load to the situation.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Have you considered an AR15 carbine?

The modern 5.56 loads, like hornady's 55gr TAP are supposed to be less hazardous after passing through a typical interior wall than a 9mm is.

You have the precision if you need it, with plenty of stopping power.

Matt
    The .223 is appropriate for CQB entry teams- they come in with hearing protection/suppressors, in most places anymore. Long guns of any sort are pretty "stout" on the average joe's ears. Yeah, you may not be dazed, due to auditory exclusion, but that won't prevent a perforated ear drum. You may not be able to hear the next "bump in the night".

Anyhow, I'm partial to slugs, in the SG. Buckshot won't spread much, across a room, but....

Senior Moderator
    I don't worry about hitting family members with my Shottie

One reason is floor plan (Boys room is next to ours with short hall contacting the rooms) and the other is I have taken a shotgun class and have patterned my shottie at 3, 5 and 10 yards. I know how much #4 buck opens and speards. Besides the second round is a slug.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I run #6 shot, 7 rounds of it. This is backup to my pistol. 21 rounds, much faster to deploy, harder to take away, faster to reload, less damage to my already damaged hearing.

+100 for "take a defensive shotgun course."
    You'll find out real quick that buckshot does not "spray"
    as some people think it does. Stay safe.

Another +1 on take a defensive shotgun course. I did recently and was surprised at versatility of shottie. I now keep mine with 00 in the mag and slugs on buttstock carrier.

SY

I don't worry per say about spray (I understand the real characteristics), I am very thoughtful though about shot placement as overpenetration in my home is an issue (only drywall and studs- no brick). I didn't think much of it before until I checked out the "box o truth". I forget the website address at the moment... Needless to say...it was quite revealing about penetration through normal interior walls that some folks don't seem to worry much about for some odd reason....found the site again:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

00 Buck is over-hyped as a defensive round. It is NOT the "be all end all". It is more common because it is more readily available. #1 Buck is better, 16 pellets instead of 9, offers more coverage and provide better wound characteristics, and will not penetrate walls as easilly as 00. I have my home defense shotguns loaded with #1 Buck,
    I also use #1 buck, and beside taking the classes that others suggest, you must also pattern your gun with your load. At 25' my pattern is just over fist size. If it came down to it I would not have a problem taking that "hostage" shot.

During A Home Invasion...

I may not have time to worry about where ALL the bullets travel. Would you NOT take a shot to save family because the bullet may travel through several walls? Actually, that thought may not even be on your mind...

Houses and neighborhoods vary...

We have had home invasions in our town (Gainesville)...do I think about it?...not a lot, but I do have locks and guns for SOME reason!

We have no little ones in the house, and my wife has her own gun...perhaps a little 'planning ahead', talking through the scenarios would help...

I have a 12ga coach gun...two shots for the entrance...to the house or the bedroom (if that is the last retreat)...someone comes through the door without an invitation...10-20'...I'm not worried about the ammo going anywhere but into the BG(s)...

I wouldn't spend a great deal of time thinking about, just make a plan!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links