Tactical retreating.

This is a discussion on Tactical retreating. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen any articles or books on tactical retreating. Even with the "stand your ground" legislation sometimes it would seem better to retreat if ...

Thread: Tactical retreating.

Tactical retreating.

I haven't seen any articles or books on tactical retreating. Even with the "stand your ground" legislation sometimes it would seem better to retreat if at all possible. It seem better from an emotional/legal standpoint. I know retreating may be considered cowardly but it is still part of the Fight or Flight response. It probably should be tuned so as not to get you killed when needed.

The problems is not getting stabbed, bludgeoned, shot, or tackled while doing so. Would it be better to incapacitate the individual by blinding or kicking before turning tail and becoming vurnable? Would running away trigger a prey response in the attacker? Would displaying a weapon be appropriate or would that be considered flashing/escalating (in some situations)?

There are an estimated 2 million self defence events a year with no shots fired. You'd think that at least some of these would be reported as threats to the PD. Are there any recommended books on the subject (for civilians)?

Oh and one last comment: "Brave, Brave, Brave sir Robbin"
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    A tactical retreat is probably a very good time to hit your would-be attacker with OC.

Lead Moderator
    A tactical retreat does not need to be a turn your back and run. (however an option). Shuffling sideways of backwards while watching the threat also can work . Bottom line each situation will require you deciding the best course of action.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I wouldn't turn my back to an active threat to run away unless he was incapacitated by oc or something.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I wouldn't turn my back to an active threat to run away unless he was incapacitated by oc or something.
    Even then not a real good idea.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

If Retreating...

Keep an eye on the BG...put space between you and the 'threat'...lateral movements if possible...find cover...get out of area...dial 911, and maintain control of your weapon(s)...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Even then not a real good idea.
    It all depends on the threat/ threats and what needs to be done. not all BG's will have weapons.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wow I'm glad that I'm on the same page as everyone. I also though that O.C., kick to the crotch, or a really bright light 100+ lumen at night when most assaults happen would work. This would give the advantage of being able to move without being coherently assaulted or followed.

Basically backpeddling or moving laterally would work if the threat wasn't still actively looking for an opening. Also if you have to draw it's a real good idea to tell your side to P.D. first. I'm just fishing for tips on how to put distance on an assailant without compromising your safety.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

All this is moderated by the fact that most of these situations can be avoided by being 1.) alert and 2.) not in a bad place anyway. So if they get that close at night in an uncrowded place you probably have made a few mistakes already. And on top of everything trying to move calmly while dealing with your fight or flight response.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Bound back by fire team. One team lays suppressive fire while the other moves.

OK, seriously:
    Move in a zig zag patter, and a random one at that. Good chance that the bad guy can outrun you. If you're moving backward, he can definitely catch up.
    Use cover and concealment.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Heck, turning and running isn't a chicken thing to do. I haven't read all of Art of War yet, but Sun Tzu seams like he tends to believe in living and fighting another day. Standing and fighting or getting out of Dodge is just a situational thing.

In a tactical retreat Backing up at an angle, zig zaging, and finding a safe place to hold up is kinda what I figure.

Survival is the goal. If the best way to complete this task is to run away like a sissy, hand me a dress. BUT if I have to stand and fight the BG isn't walking away
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

It seems to me that there's a big difference between retreating from someone armed with a contact weapon versus someone armed with a ranged weapon.

If the assailnt doesn't have any sort of ranged weapon, and you think you can outrun him to a place of relative safety (your house/car/someplace filled with people, etc.), just turn tail and run. If you can't outrun him, a more cautious tactical withdrawl is in order.

If he's got a ranged weapon, that's a whole other kettle of fish. The prospect of getting shot in the back makes running a lot less appealing. In this case, if I retreated at all, it would be carefully and with my pistol ready.

If the situation is unclear (the assailant has threatened to use violence, but hasn't displayed a weapon) then a cautious withdrawl, ready to draw my pistol if the situation warrants would probably be best.

Basically, it's going to be highly situation dependent. How is the BG armed? What has he done so far? Where am I withdrawing to? Do I have anyone else with me to protect? Etc.

If I am in a situation at this point I can't walk away from, I would not hesitate to draw and in a very loud voice yell "BACK OFF! GO AWAY! " I (hopefully) would not let BG close enough to me to kick him in the crotch. I would also be moving laterally trying to get a vehicle or some type of cover between us. As we moved away from each other I might reholster, depending on how much concealment there is for a possible second BG, but would keep my hand on my weapon until I was clear from the area.

Links