Thief in the car - Page 2

Thief in the car

This is a discussion on Thief in the car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cops & Pain!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief in the car

Cool

Cops & Pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    If he runs, fine. Call cops.

If he decides to stand and fight, he gets OC to the face, then a righteous ass kicking. If he pulls a deadly weapon, I'll show him mine. Whether or not he gets shot is his choice depending on his subsequent actions.

Fighting fair is fighting to lose.
    Get into a fight with the guy? No way. I'm not risking life and limb to teach someone a lesson. Bad people carry pistols and knives too. My car or even my house is not worth the chance of a fire fight. I would try and pursuade him to stay but I am not getting into a fist fight with someone while carrying a firearm, If my girlfriend or family was in the car there would be a confrontation, otherwise I give a good description to the cops and let them take the risk. The "Whether or not he gets shot is his choice depending on his subsequent actions" attitude is a district attorney's dream case. If you had the chance to avoid violence, and you initiated confrontation, you will be judged by this action. Do you really want to shoot someone over anything this irrelevent anyway? We who carry objects of deadly force must hold ourselves to higher standards.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

there are too many people who do not call the cops after they are ripped off. How do they expect the LEOs to patrol an area if they are kept in the dark. I agree that the GG should have got the BGs keys if possible.

Absolutely correct S&WFan

No law says that you have to stand by and watch your property be stolen/defaced/destroyed.

The fact that deadly force cannot be used to prevent a property crime does not mean that NO force can be used. If the burglar elevates the problem by bringing deadly force, so be it.

Sooner or later we need to reclaim decency in this country.
    I always carry so I think I am prepared should things turn south. I would call 911, approach, not too close, with gun drawn but hidden from view, and tell the creep to exit the vehicle. If he were to advance on me the gun comes up. If he were to keep advancing on me after seeing I am armed, I am now in fear that he will try to take my gun and use it against me, he goes down. If he runs I provide LE with a good description. I do not follow, I do not shoot.

I do not believe in most states you have to stand by and watch someone commit a felony.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Did the damage the car to get into it? Or does your friend leave it unlocked?
    he leaves it unlocked. Nope, no damage. I would have called 9-1-1 as well.
    Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor. ~ Samuel Coleridge

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Get into a fight with the guy? No way. I'm not risking life and limb to teach someone a lesson. Bad people carry pistols and knives too. My car or even my house is not worth the chance of a fire fight. I would try and pursuade him to stay but I am not getting into a fist fight with someone while carrying a firearm, If my girlfriend or family was in the car there would be a confrontation, otherwise I give a good description to the cops and let them take the risk. The "Whether or not he gets shot is his choice depending on his subsequent actions" attitude is a district attorney's dream case. If you had the chance to avoid violence, and you initiated confrontation, you will be judged by this action. Do you really want to shoot someone over anything this irrelevent anyway? We who carry objects of deadly force must hold ourselves to higher standards.
    Well stated Bando. I would not fight him if I were carrying, in fact, I would know what is in my car, call 9-1-1 and watch...if he begins to do damage I let him know I am there, the cops are on the way, I have his description and if he wants to get off easy, he better stay put. He probably tries to break the 100m reccord and I will leave a report with the cops, when they arrive way too slowly.
    Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor. ~ Samuel Coleridge

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    I do not believe in most states you have to stand by and watch someone commit a felony.
    I do not believe that in ANY states you have to stand by and watch someone commit a felony! You can always call the police.

But there ARE states where you have a "duty to retreat" if you can, before you can be considered justified in using lethal force in self-defense. If you are the one who initiates the confrontation in one of those states, you have just handed the prosecutor a pretty easy slam-dunk in proving that you failed in your "duty to retreat."

"I wasn't looking at my car as I was walking to it. I stumbled over something in the parking lot and hit my car door. That's how his ankles got broken officer. I swear. He must have broken his nose on the dashboard when the door slammed on his shins."
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Call 911. Let the cops handle this one.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

IIRC you do not have to stand by - every state has a "citizen's arrest"

you had better be right though, and you can be sued for false imprisonment amongs other things..

Personally - rob him, he has keys and a helmet - take 'em then his sneeks and pants too.....LOL (JUST KIDDING!!)

lock doors, set alarm, call 911 when it goes off take video...

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Call 911
    And request an ambulance...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    And request an ambulance...

ret
    Why the ambulance? Were you joking or does that make the cops come faster?

Well...

Picture youself having just broken into my car.

You're looking through my CD's...and as you turn to ME facing you and, I'm standing in the open doorway...

You're looking down the barrel of a Kimber Ultra CDP II..

...the next sound you hear is me calling 911 and requesting an ambulance...

Yes, I'm joking...I'm not that bold or cruel...er, maybe that cruel...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

me
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Picture youself having just broken into my car.

You're looking through my CD's...and as you turn to ME facing you and, I'm standing in the open doorway...

You're looking down the barrel of a Kimber Ultra CDP II..

...the next sound you hear is me calling 911 and requesting an ambulance...

Yes, I'm joking...I'm not that bold or cruel...er, maybe that cruel...

ret
    NICE
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

No law says that you have to stand by and watch your property be stolen/defaced/destroyed.
    You obviously don't live in Ohio. At the current time I am obligated to leave my house via the backdoor rather than shoot an armed intruder breaking in the front.

Confronting a person to protect property? Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.........

Fairly new laws, have some serious bugs to work out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links