Thief in the car

This is a discussion on Thief in the car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the other night a buddy of mine came across this situation in the parking lot at work. Keep in mind that he is not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief in the car

Thief in the car

So the other night a buddy of mine came across this situation in the parking lot at work. Keep in mind that he is not carrying.

As he approaches his car he notices someone is in it, rifling through stuff. He quickly advances catching the would be thief off guard saying get the "h" out of my car!, what do you think you are doing?, etc. Thief gets out of car and starts talking smack to my friend about his mom and girlfriend. Because my buddy doesn't have a girlfriend, he only begins to smile and keeps approaching quickly closing the distance between him and the thief. The thief who is wielding a motorcycle helmet in one hand and a set of keys in the other like he is going to use them to stab begins to look like he wants to fight. My friend who is good sized just keeps smiling and walking straight at him telling him he is going to kick the "s" out of him. The thief really begins to assess the situation and realizes this smiling guy is really going to wallop on him so he begins to appologize for breaking into the car. My friend trying to decide whether to let him have it or not asks what did you take? Answer - nothing..., so he lets him go. He looks in the car and sees the two DVD's and the stereo looking fine so he believes him and lets him walk away. As it turns out he ended up taking only about $5 worth of change from the ashtray.

How would you have handled the situation had you been carrying?
    Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor. ~ Samuel Coleridge

2. Remove Ads

Call 911 and observe.

This is what I would do if I was carrying or not.

Biker

Call 911.Hold him for the cops.He needs to learn a lesson...

Awww he didn't call the cops? This guy probably had a backpack full of other peoples stuff. He could have been a felon with outstanding warrants. Always report crimes so there is a paper trail!
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Awww he didn't call the cops? This guy probably had a backpack full of other peoples stuff. He could have been a felon with outstanding warrants. Always report crimes so there is a paper trail!

im with you on this one... if there is no paper work it never happened plain and simple... always report it
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Did the damage the car to get into it? Or does your friend leave it unlocked?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    If he runs, fine. Call cops.

If he decides to stand and fight, he gets OC to the face, then a righteous butt kicking. If he pulls a deadly weapon, I'll show him mine. Whether or not he gets shot is his choice depending on his subsequent actions.

Fighting fair is fighting to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Good advice!

call the cops, even now.

keep your doors locked.

dont give yourself away from too great of a distance.

dont let someone eventually acquire a clean, stolen handgun.

dont let him keep his keys.

if you have OC, use it and watch out that he doesnt try to head butt your knuckles and toes.... it happens.

if he runs, and he's slower than me, he's gonna "trip". asphalt tastes like chicken, i hear. i'll ask...

having your car broken into is not a good feeling.

This happened to me about 3 yrs ago. I was dating a girl that lived in a poor neighborhood. I had a 3 series with an alarm and i wake up at 3 am to the remote going off. Good alarm system. BG is inside my car parked on the street and I'm the crazy white guy crossing the street in my underwear. I'd already called 911 and they are on the way. I'm unarmed and mad as h*ll. I'm in what I call Chuck Zito mode. He's about to get rolled. He sees me opens the door and goes track star. He didn't take a thing he wanted the whole car. Police arrive and don't even make a report . Wow what a deal.

Looking back on it I should have stayed indoors but thieves really make me angry.

911 - since you are in no danger, confrontation would probably put you on very thin ice if things went sour.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Call 9-1-1 and observe. I was amazed to find out in my class that at night time in Texas I could shoot the guy! Coming from the Peoples Republic of Maryland it's kind of like being on another planet here. But there is a big difference between could and should. But I do like the way they think down here!

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    911 - since you are in no danger, confrontation would probably put you on very thin ice if things went sour.
    No law says that you have to stand by and watch your property be stolen/defaced/destroyed.

The fact that deadly force cannot be used to prevent a property crime does not mean that NO force can be used. If the burglar elevates the problem by bringing deadly force, so be it.

Sooner or later we need to reclaim decency in this country.

Senior Moderator
    Call 911
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan
    The fact that deadly force cannot be used to prevent a property crime does not mean that NO force can be used. If the burglar elevates the problem by bringing deadly force, so be it.

Sooner or later we need to reclaim decency in this country.
    Nice sentiment, and morally I agree with you. But legally? In some states this attitude can land you in prison.

Know the laws in your state!
    Last edited by denverd0n; April 13th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links