Question for those with experience and LEOs

Question for those with experience and LEOs

This is a discussion on Question for those with experience and LEOs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the best method to get the cops to respond the fastest to your 9-1-1 call. Obviously you want to be honest, but are ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member Array lilducky08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    113

    Question for those with experience and LEOs

    What is the best method to get the cops to respond the fastest to your 9-1-1 call. Obviously you want to be honest, but are there some "tricks of the trade" that might trigger a faster reponse? Asking for an ambulance? "I thought I saw a gun" what kinds of things besides the truth would you say that might kick the response up a notch?

    I have a friend that was in a situation that involved spotting a man with a gun who actually brandished, threatened and walked away. 9-1-1 call and 17 minutes later the cops show and this was within a reasonable distance from the HQ.
    Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor. ~ Samuel Coleridge


  2. #2
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,924
    Contrary to popular belief, there aren't any "good" ways to get the cops to respond faster.

    If dispatchers have a a number of pending calls, they will prioritize the calls...meaning that calls where life is in danger will be at the top of the scale.

    Even so, depending on where you are at, even if you drop what you are doing and haul butt to a higher priority call, it can still take plenty of time for an officer to get there.

    I was dispatched to a domestic disturbance in progress with weapons involved and it took me right at 50 minutes to get there, with blue lights and siren and relatively light traffic just because it was on the other opposite end of the county from where I was at. I happened to be the nearest officer.

    There are higher priorities than"brandishing. It could be that there were more serious things happening. It could be that it took that long for someone to get there. It could be that they are busy doing other things.

    With that being said...

    You have to be very careful when you are talking to 911. Its all recorded and and falsifying information to get the cops there "quicker" an and will usually end up in getting a ticket that will be rather embarrassing to explain to a judge when in court.


    All the more reason to be able to defend oneself if necessary because more than likely the cops wont be there till after the fact.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    me
    me is offline
    Senior Member Array me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Shanandoah Valley VA
    Posts
    1,015
    I agree be as honest as possible and as accurate as possible. I have found for me I get a better responce when I request anybody (LE, EMS, FD) over my fire radio then I ever do by phone even Identifying myself to the dispatcher. Accuracy is the key in my mind because I have had my incomming medics down graded due to inaccurate info for a priority call.
    Mark

    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

    -James Earl Jones

  4. #4
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    16,027
    Hotguns is right. Be truthful for suffer the consequences.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson


    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Hot guns layed it all out. I will add that being accurate and getting lots of info will get you results.
    Lets say somebody does a "lawn job" on your front lawn. You call 911, you see it happening. Dont just say its a blue car. Give a description! Its a Blue Gremlin, with a Wa plate of xyz 123 and it left going north towards main street.
    Good detailed info gives me something to work with, and it shows me that you give a damn. When the victim cares, I tend to care too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,055
    Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    What is the best method to get the cops to respond the fastest to your 9-1-1 call.
    911 is dial-a-prayer. It's effectively an "insurance" line, not the perpetrator protection line. Surely, hope the responding officers can arrive soon enough. But, don't bet on it.

    No disrespect intended toward law enforcement personnel nor the excellent work provided by our folks in uniform, but it cannot be expected that responsiveness will be there when most needed ... simply based on the reality of how crimes go down.

    Law enforcement is a bit like insurance, in that it's to be used after the damage is done. Law enforcement is good for detective work, enforcing the laws against perpetrators that are caught, and helping to keep the peace after a peace-breaker has been identified. But protecting you from such things ... that isn't what law enforcement (in the USA) is designed to do.

    In reality, given the U.S. courts' opinion that there is no inherent requirement for a public law enforcement agency to protect anyone, the best way is: protect yourself and be able to hold out long enough for the responding crew to arrive, but accept that the responding personnel will be dedicated to the penalty phase and clean-up phase only.

    That simple reality is why we go armed in the first place.

    Ditto on the sentiments about lying for perceived cause. That's the fastest way to get you seen as a criminal. Rightly so since, in the end, the "cry wolf" tactic simply harms everyone's ability to distinguish between real emergencies and garden-variety needs for assistance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Take a number.

    Do not lie to try and get the local Constabulary there faster. It's all about priorities, and you may be lower on the priority tree than someone else, eventhough to you it seems that YOU SHOULD BE PRIORITY #1. It sucks, but that's life.

    Most people would think that someone actively having a "Heart Attack" would be Priority #1. Guess what, sometimes it isn't. I worked a "Code" once and the patient in the next bed was having a myocardial infarction, (heart attack) and he was #3 on my list. After the "Code" I had to deal with the Respiratory Distress case before I could get to the "Heart Attack".

    God, I'm glad I no longer work in the ER. Give the Police and 911 truthful and relevent information and they will get to you when they get to you. There are no "Short Cuts".

    Biker

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,795

    All of Life Is A Gamble...

    Pick a number and get in line...thus the importance of being a GOOD witness, or planning for your own protection...

    What may seem important now, usually isn't...two weeks later!

    Everything happens for a reason...

    OMO

    Stay armed...stay safe!

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,055
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Everything happens for a reason...
    So true.

    Why does poor response occur with 911? To teach us the value of self-protection and self-sufficiency until the cavalry arrives, and to teach us the appropriate use of the telephone and its ranking on the scale of necessities when the chips are down.

    Why do vast populations in some countries go down on their knees to comply with illegal bureaucratic whimsy? To show that unless we're careful it can, indeed, happen here.

    Why do some societies spawn such evil sooth-sayers as Sarah Brady? To teach us strengths we never knew we had.

    Ain't it the truth.

    As for needing emergency care ... BTDT. Once, I couldn't breathe due to a severe histamine reaction that closed off the airway via swelled mucous membranes everywhere in my body. That was a real joy. A call to 911 brought the emergency crew within 2mins, thankfully, and "in the distance" I heard the paramedics arrive out front. Couldn't see or breathe by that point, but it was interesting to "hear" them as they went to work. Surreal. Every other instance of needing emergency has been take-a-number/get-in-line type deal, by comparison, including having broken my leg on the slopes at Park City, UT, 4hrs before the doctor could arrive via helicopter from another skiing facility. To my undying embarrassment and everlasting thankfulness, a young lady who had broken her arm into two distinct pieces let me go first. To this day, I don't know how she did that. That was 1977. I'm assuming she must have had better drugs than my aspirin.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 14th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #10
    me
    me is offline
    Senior Member Array me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Shanandoah Valley VA
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As for needing emergency care ... BTDT. Once, I couldn't breathe due to a severe histamine reaction that closed off the airway via swelled mucous membranes everywhere in my body. That was a real joy. A call to 911 brought the emergency crew within 2mins,
    This is why i agree with sixto that the more accurate the info the better, for any emergency. I was on our high school soccer team when the other teams goal keeper broke his jaw, I was the highest certified medic on the scene so I assumed traetment, and my incomming ambulance was slowed down because of others calling reporting a broken arm. I still, 5 yrs later, can not understand why the EMS dispatcher disregarded my fire chief father on their radio frequency and took the word of the mass of civilians on there cell phones. My Priority 1 request was down graded to P2 when this kid could not breath. Thankfully the medic unit happened to be P1 staffed but it was still delayed and felt to me like we were treating the kid for hours but in reality I was told when I asked it was 7 min.

    Not to be a jerk but I know in my area we have commented "It's not my emergency" as a way to teach younger members to slow down and remember to keep themself safe. Just remember it may be an emergency to you but not to me.
    Mark

    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

    -James Earl Jones

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,978
    Having worked 15 years in a 9-1-1 center in Maryland I am going to jump in on this with both feet. As they say in court, tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth! Give as detailed information as you can, but keep it relevant to your call. We don't really care about what Oprah said about situations like this. Also, 9-1-1 is for Life threatening emergencies Someone taking your cell phone out of your car last night while you were asleep can be handled on the non-emergency line. Also, don't just call 9-1-1 and hang up. Our S.O.P. was to call back, and if we are not able to get through to someone we would send a call. That call would be a routine response and you would get one or maybe two officers. If you call by accident, stay on the line and tell the call taker it was a mistake. That keeps us from having to call you back or send an officer out. The fewer officers we have running down disconnects, the more we have to respond where they are needed.

    The computer system we used for dispatch had priorities 0-9 with 0 getting a lights and siren response. To put it in perspective, a fight in progress, a shooting just occurred etc. get a priority 0. A traffic collision that is property damage only is a priority 5 and that stolen cell phone is a priority 8. In our department the call taker could over ride the computer assigned priority and make a parking complaint that occured earlier a priority 0. Of course they would have to justify that to their supervisor and probably the sergeant on the road, but they do have that power.

    If you try to play games with the call taker like " Well what if I said this?" we will put that information on the call so the dispatcher and the officers know that you may be less than credible. That can have an impact on how things are handled once the officers get there. Officers have a lot of discretion on how to handle various situations, and if you come across as someone suffering from rectal cranial inversion when you deal with call takers, don't expect the officers to make your problem their number one priority in life. Also if the officers call us back and tell us you are a "system abuser" we can put a "flag" on your address in the computer.

    As far as living close to a station, that doesn't really matter because that station is in a beat, just like every other building in the jurisdiction, and each officer is (in theory) patroling their own beat, or backing up another officer. In fact living close to the station can work against you! When someone walks into the station to report something, unless someone is already there doing paperwork, we call the beat officer to respond into the station to take the report. Now if your call comes in just as a shift is clearing roll call you might end up with eight officers showing up at your house if its a slow night.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    False/bad information can get Fire/EMS/LE killed. If you do something like that, PRAY you never need the same crew(s) again.

    Best advice: be prepared to deal with emergencies on your own, and call 911 to clean up. 911 will get you "back-up", it may or may not save you.

  13. #13
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,903
    Well done mcp1810. Oh what I would give to have quality dispatchers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  14. #14
    me
    me is offline
    Senior Member Array me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Shanandoah Valley VA
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    False/bad information can get Fire/EMS/LE killed. If you do something like that, PRAY you never need the same crew(s) again.
    In PA false info or other illegal activities that lead to the death of firefighters, EMS or PD will lead to a second degree murder conviction. This is what happened to the [*Explictive Deleted*] who lite the Briceland street fire

    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well done mcp1810. Oh what I would give to have quality dispatchers.
    AMEN although mine are getting better.
    Mark

    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

    -James Earl Jones

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Mirandized, question for LEOs
    By HK Dan in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: January 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
  2. Off topic question for the LEOs here
    By Rugergirl in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
  3. Question for LEOs
    By broknindarkagain in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
  4. Question for LEOs - What do BGs Carry?
    By Sonic Misfit in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: April 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
  5. Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else)
    By Al Lowe in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors