Hurt Myself - Need Excercises

This is a discussion on Hurt Myself - Need Excercises within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Gents, Yesterday I hurt myself while playing with my black lab. More precisely, I severely sprained my friggin' foot to the point the doctor ...

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hi Gents,

Yesterday I hurt myself while playing with my black lab. More precisely, I severely sprained my friggin' foot to the point the doctor thought it was broken, until the X-rays came back. (It probably didn't help that I waited for five hours to go in, and had grabbed a hiking stick and was walking on the one part that didn't hurt - likely made it swell more).

Anyway... btt, while I'm sitting here in bed getting the courage up to try it:

I realized that I have a fairly unique set of circumstances here. I'm supposed to be using crutches for a few days and I'm carrying a couple handguns. One is on my strong (left) side, and is a full-sized service auto. The other is a snubbie in my weak side pocket.

The crutches are in the way of both.

Mostly I've been using a cane I have laying around, but I can't do more than hobble around with either cane or crutch, so I'd have to make a stand if confronted (and, I figure that, using a cane or crutch, my chances of being at least "interviewed" have gone up 2-4 times. I also cannot use most H2H moves I was taught.)

Sooo, what, if any, shooting drills to you have laying around for someone who's a bit lamed up? Keep in mind that if I don't have a cane, I can't move, and the cane is on my STRONG side.

It was dark when I got home last night and I pulled my snubby on a racoon 7yds or so away, raiding the trash, fired, and missed wiht the first shot when I stumbled a bit. I figure if that's the best I can do I'm hurtin'.

So, excercises and practice runs (or hobbles) gents?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Practice standing on your good foot. Then practice shooting while standing on that foot.

Maybe buy a Taurus (i think) "Judge." I just read about it here, a revolver that fires .45s or .410 shells. Load it with #4 or 5 in case you miss a little.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Dry-fire exercises only, lest you fall and risk a ND.

Seated exercises, simulating drawing while driving/parked or drawing while seated in a restaurant.

Off-hand, weak-hand drills that leverage this time when your normally strong side isn't.

Learn a new weapon: the cane. It can be used to buy time, to gain distance, to withstand a minor assault.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ouch what a dilemma - If IN is an OpenCarry state just strap a holster to the strongside crutch.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Or shotgun cane?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'm not sure how stupid this idea is but I thought I'd throw it out anyway:

Switch to front of pants, cross draw, and/or ankle carry.
    Drop the crutches, roll on to your back and draw. Strong side, small of back carry would make drawing difficult from this position methinks.
    The position should provide plenty of stability.

Just an idea, feel free to shoot it down.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Sorry to hear about the injury! Get some exercise ideas from the doc for the foot, then do those, as well as shooting on the good foot in a controlled environment?

Could also be an "excuse" for the Taurus:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu....cfm?series=41

I think DrCMG has one?
    Attached Images

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Dry fire practice for the most part.

But, if you have to go out and something happens the adrenalin will counteract most pain.

A dose of hydrocodone to take the edge off.

You should be fairly well healed in 1-2 weeks.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Since your mobility and stability iis all gone, take a knee and deal with the threat, then hop away after you are done shooting. Make a few dry runs to see if it works.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Thanks you, gents.

Josh <><

i'd also like to think, in the case of an interview, that the BG might not act as fast thinking your slowed down by the injury. that might give you more time to react. i'd at least play on that if the situation arose.
    What's this button do?

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I am a physical therapist assistant by trade. Ask your Doc for a referral to physical therapy. They will get you back on your feet (pun intended) as soon as possible. The philosophy of physical therapy is to get the injured part working again within reasonable limits, including getting you off the crutches as soon as realistic.
    From your description, it sounds like you have a pretty serious sprain. It will get well without therapy, but with therapy it will get well more quickly and you will have a better chance of NOT injuring the same foot again.
    In the meantime, practice this CAREFULLYL: While standing take the crutch from your dominant hand and hold both crutches with your non dominant hand while putting your weight on your good foot and using the crutches for balance. Then draw and dry fire (after carefully unloading, of course). Accept the fact you will have to sacrifice some speed. Do the moves slowly and deliberately at first and DO NOT HURRY. If you hurry, you will lost balance and hurt yourself all over again. Plus, in a situation where you need your gun slow and careful is better than losing balance and falling down.
    Get the physical therapy and get well fast!
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Links