What might have happened at VT...

This is a discussion on What might have happened at VT... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We (and many others) have been "what if-ing" the VT shootings quite a bit. As it happens, there was a similar incident in Australia in ...

Thread: What might have happened at VT...

VIP Member

What might have happened at VT...

We (and many others) have been "what if-ing" the VT shootings quite a bit. As it happens, there was a similar incident in Australia in 2002, with drastically different results. Here, no firearm was required (though it certainly would have been safer); just the mindset and determination to survive, and help others survive.

I have highlighted some pertinant lines from the article, and welcome the thoughts and comments of the forum members.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    LATELINE
    Late night news & current affairs

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT
    URL: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/s707153.htm

Broadcast: 21/10/2002
    Two killed in university shooting
    Melbourne's Monash University is reviewing its security after a fatal shooting earlier today. Two people were killed and five wounded when an economics student opened fire in his classroom.

---------
    Compere: Tony Jones
    Reporter: Rachel Carbonell

Melbourne's Monash University is reviewing its security after a fatal shooting earlier today. Two people were killed and five wounded when an economics student opened fire in his classroom.

A teacher and another student tackled the man preventing any further carnage. He has now being questioned by police.

Rachel Carbonell reports.

RACHEL CARBONELL, REPORTER: Pandemonium erupted when the gunman opened fire on the sixth floor of this building.

POLICEMAN: Move to the other side, please. Just clear well away from this area.

RACHEL CARBONELL: Two students in their early 20s died at the scene.

STUDENT #1: Everyone was pretty scared because we heard screaming and then like five minutes later we saw the police helicopter here.

STUDENT #2: I saw two people on the floor. One of them was being cradled by someone else and there were blood patches on the floor and stuff.

STUDENT #3: I saw two bodies being brought out on stretchers. The first guy looked like he had a wound to the stomach and then the second guy looked injured.

He was lucid, though, and he looked like he was alright.

STUDENT #4: The world is an increasingly hostile and crazy place. It's ridiculous. It's coming so close to home now.

RACHEL CARBONELL: The university says there were approximately 2,000 people inside the building at the time of the shooting. Fearing for their lives, some fled the building.

Others barricaded themselves inside.

Police say the tragedy could have been much worse if a student and teacher hadn't subdued the man.

SUPERINTENDENT TREVOR PARKS, VICTORIA POLICE: If they hadn't acted quickly and overpowered that gunman, who knows where it would have gone.

RACHEL CARBONELL: Emergency services say the scene was confusing and it was difficult to remove the wounded.

DAVID HOWELL, METROPOLITAN AMBULANCE SERVICE: Well, pandemonium - there was a lot of milling around.

People couldn't get in, they needed to get their equipment in and they needed to make sure the area was safe.

RACHEL CARBONELL: As the injured were being taken to hospital, in the background a man arrested at the scene was being led away by police for questioning.

Of the five injured, two are in a serious condition.

Politicians moved quickly to express sympathy for the families of those hurt and shock that another tragedy has hit Australians so soon after the Bali bombings.

SIMON CREAN, OPPOSITION LEADER: Our thoughts, of course, Mr Speaker, go out to the survivors and ensuring that they have a speedy -

JOHN HOWARD, AUSTRALIAN PM: The loss of my life there in such violent circumstances is always a matter of regret, especially so when it is young.

RACHEL CARBONELL: The university has set up telephone hotlines for those wanting information on the welfare of their loved ones and is offering counselling to staff and students.

Rachel Carbonell, Lateline.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Way true that if mindset of the victims were different, even without arms, that casulties would have been fewer. I only imagine that if the place was packed with soldier or marines (couldn't say the same for Airmen or Seamen with any confidence, and I'm former USAF), he would have been brought down by hand, even if taking a few with him. The body count didn't need to be as high as it was, but NOONE fought back. Can't blame the victims entirely. I remember my whole life being told "don't fight back, give him what he wants." Clearly that mindset only works when the bad guy only wants your lunch money.

The only good way to tell if the bad guy wants money or wants to kill you for fun: Wait and see if he pulls the trigger.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links