Safety in hospitals... - Page 3

Safety in hospitals...

This is a discussion on Safety in hospitals... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work at a walk-in Mental Health Crisis Center on hospital grounds, where we have meth users, schizophrenics, etc in all states of hostile psychosis ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

:-P

I work at a walk-in Mental Health Crisis Center on hospital grounds, where we have meth users, schizophrenics, etc in all states of hostile psychosis coming in and out all day. How does the hospital "protect" us? Thoroughly unarmed security guards that check in twice a day, and take 5-10 minutes to respond to an emergency call, and "security" doors. Anybody want to guess how long it took one of our oh-so-endearing clients to bust down our "security" door about 2 weeks ago, while screaming "Ghosts are chasing me!" and "I'll kill you all!"..? Yeah, about as long as you spent reading that last sentence. Fortunately this guy ran out the back door as soon as he broke down the front door - (those ghosts were persistant, I guess), and he decided it'd be more fun to plop down in our back garden and play a flute of all things then to follow through on his threats, but that situation could have turned real sour real quick. Closest I've come to having to defend myself from a serious potentially life-threatening situation. Are we allowed to carry at work? Oh hell no. But you better believe I keep my OC spray and my Kubaton real close throughout the day...
    .40 is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel-man View Post
    Ever thought of co-staring on "It takes a theif"?
    -----------------------------------------------
    So, wow!
    Hospitals are THAT open...
    Actually our buliding wasn't even a hospital, but a keypad system is a keypad system...there's only so many types out there(except those darn biometric ones...need to get me one of those to play with)...anywhoo there were 16 floors and we only owned ...I think 10 of them? Worst part was that there was a bio lab on the 4th floor! and yes...same elevator access...same "security"....UGH! They did try somewhat with the stairways though...they had basically had mantraps set up with cages at certain floors...but they weren't all that much trouble either...doesn't help when you leave the bolts holding the cage door lto the hinges exposed...DOH!

Oh that that takes a thief show...yeah that show really is funny! Strange how stupid people can be. Although I think you actually have to be a thief to do the show...I think that was the point. The guy that does the thieving...used to be a thief. So alas...I cannot.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

In my opinion hospitals, run the entire spectrum from not secure at all, to pretty darn secure in the state of Missouri. In Kansas City, while I haven't worked on an ambulance there since 1986 I do occasionally go there. Probably the two most secure in the KC Metro area are Children's Mercy Hospital and Research Medical Center.

Children's has great access control and technology, and passing through almost every section of the hospital are keypad or ID badge swipe locked doors, and good camera coverage and full time security staff. However, security are un-armed.

Research has good access control with locked doors (but not to the extent of Children's) and great camera coverage with a full time armed security.

The National Law Enforcement Training Center has been for the last several years conducted their annual National Training Conference at the School of Nursing at Research Hospital because they have a nice facility that can be utilized for the numerous training and certification programs held at a single 3 day event.

One year when I was taking the Lindell method of Handgun & Long Gun Weapon Retention and Disarming class for Instructor they showed us some really good surveillance video that was captured in Research's Ambulance Parking Garage of one of their Security Officers using one of our techniques to disarm a individual who had pulled his private vehicle inside the Ambulance Garage directly adjacent to the ER and created a disturbance.

However, I would say that a majority of hospitals in the state are woefully insecure.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Children's has great access control and technology, and passing through almost every section of the hospital are keypad or ID badge swipe locked doors, and good camera coverage and full time security staff. However, security are un-armed.
    I have noticed simular protections at Childrens Holspital Pittsburgh, only difference is that they have armed LEO.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

When I was working in the Metro KC area in the 80s, we had just dropped off a patient at KUMC. On our way back to our station we recieved message that a gun man had just walked into the ER and shot and killed a doctor and one patient's family. He was killed by City law enforcement who was there on a non related incident. Security did tighten for a bit, but after a while it was business as usual. A security door anyone could enter.

It's obvious that hospitals need a serious security overhaul. It's true that the balancing act between providing a welcoming AND a safe environment is a tricky one. I'm told by my instructors that security is one of the only parts of any organization that costs a lot of money but does not generate any visible(measurable) income or revenue. That is why selling security is so difficult.

Now all of this talk about hospitals has got me thinking about churches for some reason...
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links