Scenario: Would you draw on a drawn gun?

This is a discussion on Scenario: Would you draw on a drawn gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok...I know the "rule" that you can't outdraw a drawn gun, but think of this. You are walking to your car from a department store ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Would you draw on a drawn gun?

Scenario: Would you draw on a drawn gun?

Ok...I know the "rule" that you can't outdraw a drawn gun, but think of this.

You are walking to your car from a department store at night.(for argument's sake) and all of a sudden you feel a pistol between your shoulder blades and a voice mutters, "gimme your wallet." You're armed but have been taught that you shouldn't draw on a drawn gun...it could get you killed right? You give the guy your wallet and hope he doesnt notice you CCW.

Is he going to leave peacefully? You sure hope so, but he has what he wants,...maybe you saw him or recognize his voice. *BANG* you're dead. Shoot,...he could just shoot you now that he has what he wants.

A story a while back sparked this thought. A guy was mugged at gunpoint. He gave the guy his wallet, only had two dollars and got shot in the head. Even though he cooperated, he died.

Would you take any action if a drawn gun were pressed at your body?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up Good Tread Topic! buginajar

OK...I won't answer this thread topic Right Now But, Please allow me to add something to it. Since you said:
    "Ok...I know the "rule" that you can't outdraw a drawn gun, but think of this."

There was one decently famous guy/shooter that was SO Quick on the draw that he could "Beat The Drop" every time.
    He could draw from the holster and shoot you (usually at least twice) quicker than you could pull the trigger on a gun that you had already pointed at him and with your finger already on the trigger.
    Hint: Think back on your old gun magazine articles.
    Question: Who was it?

Ok Folks...now answer the question posed by buginajar.
    Would you try to beat the drop?
    His question is EXTREMELY valid these days since your full and humble cooperation during a robbery is No Guarantee that you get to walk away with your precious life anymore. Folks IS crazy these days.

Lead Moderator
    tough call. I think each situation is diffrent and I would need to try and weigh my options/ judging from the BG's demenor. The best ya can hope for drawing on someone who have a weapon on ya is to get a non vital wound out of it. I think if I did I would try to drop as I draw, probably to 1 side.

Bill Jordan.
    Keep your ccw license along w dl seperate from your wallet. That way, if you have to give the wallet up, your assailant doesnt have either. Once the wallet is handed over, and the threat does not leave; either die, or die trying. If you can step off the line of fire, while drawing, you might give yourself half a chance. I know there are black ops-wetworks-ice water in their veins-snake eaters out there who can disarm their oponents and perfom a .45 caliber labotomy in .00001 seconds. I aint that guy. IF he'll just take the wallet and go on, cool. If not, all bets are off. I believe the general rule is: action beats reaction. If his gun is drawn, he has outdrawn you. But, if he hasnt made the decision to SHOOT you, you might can get inside his ooda loop by moving off the line of fire whilst drawing. While his mind is observing and orienting, you may have created the window you needed. IF, however, he has decided to shoot you after he recieves the wallet and you arent already moving, game over. Just my simple opinion. Others will be better, I'm sure.

Dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; March 24th, 2005 at 07:32 PM.

Qk bill jorden(sp)

Im not sure what i would do if it was a shoulder holster ya could try to shoot them though your coatbut if i thought i could beat the drop on the guy sure what do i have to lose .. Some will say you life but with most people getting killed hard to proscute with no witness

I carry a somewhat convincing looking $4 Walmart wallet full of crap around when I go some place muggings are common. He will either be glad to take it and leave, and if he has time to rifle through it to see if there's anything good, I have time to draw.

If nothing else, if you practice pocket carry, you could wind up surprising the hell out of him by pulling out a .38 caliber wallet.

The fact is that if someone is pointing a gun at you, there is absolutely no reason not to assume they are about to kill you. Act accordingly.

I've always said it's entirely possible I may wind up dead in such a horrible scenario, but I don't want it to be because of a lack of effort on my part to try to survive.

Administrator

Yep...Bill Jordan

Well, I think the old "accidentally" drop the wallet...or the money routine has been pretty much "played out" to death on TV & in the movies...so that "used up diversion" sure won't work anymore.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 24th, 2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Addition

Well, what'd I win?

Dan

Administrator

jdsumner

TWO ICE COLD VIRTUAL BEERS !!!
    Here Ya Go...Drink Em Up!

That is the best Imported beer on the web!
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 24th, 2005 at 08:00 PM.

mumblemumble...."virtual beers"...mumblemumble ...cheap rat bastmumblemumble

Dan

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner
    Bill Jordan.
    Keep your ccw license along w dl seperate from your wallet. That way, if you have to give the wallet up, your assailant doesnt have either. Once the wallet is handed over, and the threat does not leave; either die, or die trying. If you can step off the line of fire, while drawing, you might give yourself half a chance. I know there are black ops-wetworks-ice water in their veins-snake eaters out there who can disarm their oponents and perfom a .45 caliber labotomy in .00001 seconds. I aint that guy. IF he'll just take the wallet and go on, cool. If not, all bets are off. I believe the general rule is: action beats reaction. If his gun is drawn, he has outdrawn you. But, if he hasnt made the decision to SHOOT you, you might can get inside his ooda loop by moving off the line of fire whilst drawing. While his mind is observing and orienting, you may have created the window you needed. IF, however, he has decided to shoot you after he recieves the wallet and you arent already moving, game over. Just my simple opinion. Others will be better, I'm sure.

Dan
    I am with Dan on this one. I would add, however, that it is not likely that someone could get themselves that close to me without me knowing it. And someone on their tippytoes behind me when I see them better have their gun already out. In a crowd they might be able to get that close but doubtful that, in a crowd, they would shoot you after you cooperated with them. Too many witnesses that will be lining up at their death penalty trial.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I think that if you're walking though a dark parking lot at night and you're so preoccupied with your thoughts to the point that you're completely oblivious to whats going on around you, then you deserve to be mugged and shot.

If you look like prey, you will be eaten.

Would you draw on a drawn gun?
    Yes. Let me clarify. I might not draw, I might try the disarm moves I learned in the academy, or some other tactic. Which might include drawing. But I would do something.
    Rather than be continually plagued by "what if" the rest of my life. If that same guy did let me live, I have allowed him to go rob somebody else. Also, I won't bet on him letting me live once he has what he wants. How could I live with my inaction if he went two blocks down and killed someone's child?
    Sorry, I think it would be a blow to my pride if I allowed someone to victimize me. I don't think I'd recover. No offense to anyone who thinks otherwise, it's just who I am. I'd rather die than live on my knees. I think letting the guy get away with it would torment me in the wee hours of the night. It would make me feel less of a person.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Just a thought here.
    I've been in dark parking lots at night, and always had my hand on my BUG in my pocket or my jacket pocket. I think if I had a weapon in my shoulder blades, It would be shame on me. If you're like me, you never park in a dark area, without having somthing in your hand. I think I'd turn and attempt to deflect his arm so the weapon was canted off to one side, and out of my direct path, while drawing my own weapon (which we all know should be in your hand while walking in a dark area. I'd hope at that point to catch him off guard and either stare him down, or save my live by totally ending the threat. Rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six

triggertime- beg to differ, but other than other criminals, NO ONE deserves to be mugged or shot for not being aware. That may be a consequence, but not a deserved one. Thats a jackass thing to say. Kind of like the girl who wore a short skirt deserves to be raped.
    Despite all the guys who claim to be in condition orange all the time, with mirrors on their glasses to see whos behind them, EVERYONE lets their guard down now and again. So lets just for the sake of arguement, say that a woman (or child) is on the ground begging for assistance when you enter the ally, and being the righteous dude you are, offer assistance. That of course is when her partner eases up behind you and puts a .38 to your spine. It can happen, the smarter street thugs prey on other humans' ability to feel empathy and sympathy. Do YOU deserve to be shot or mugged not noticing the mugger now? NO. No one does.

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links