Grocery Store Incident, How would you handle it?

This is a discussion on Grocery Store Incident, How would you handle it? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just came home from running some errands which did include 100 rounds from the USPc at the range. My last stop was at Food ...

Thread: Grocery Store Incident, How would you handle it?

Grocery Store Incident, How would you handle it?

I just came home from running some errands which did include 100 rounds from the USPc at the range. My last stop was at Food Lion to pick up some groceries to last through the rest of my exams.

Now as I rounded one of the rows a rather irate man (about 6'4, 180lbs, very skinny, although he has about 5 inches on me) was carrying something in his hand (looked like ice cream) and complaining about finding some woman. I passed him, rounded the bend and he turned around and followed. When I hit isle 2 I heard "where the **** is that *****" followed by whatever was in his hand hitting the shelf right beside me less than a foot away at about head height.

I stopped in my tracks, turned around to face him and noticed he was about 6 to 7 feet behind me. I never made a reach for anything never made any quick moves I just looked at him and stated clearly "excuse me, is there a problem here." He promptly turned around and walked the other direction. My basic instincts did kick in when I turned around though. Mind started clicking to figure out what to do next if this guy reacts in anger towards me. Thankfully nothing happened, I just wanted to buy my damn food and head home.

I will be glad when school is finally over for me. This area has begun to get on my nerves with its ignorance. The things people constantly do around here are getting worse. It seems people just don't care about anyone around them and go about doing really whatever they feel like. Maybe its just the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area thats the issue.

2. Remove Ads

I would be a good witness and have my cell phone handy...and observe what happens when he found his beloved...

Lead Moderator
    Personally , I would not have spoken to him. Probably watched him and thats it. No need to engage an obviously angry person.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Rocky and SIGguy have the right answer, but thats not what you asked for... You asked how I would have handled it. I would have felt obligated to return his jug of ice cream to him in the most expedient fashion possible.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Rocky and SIGguy have the right answer, but thats not what you asked for... You asked how I would have handled it. I would have felt obligated to return his jug of ice cream to him in the most expedient fashion possible
    I agree with SIXTO i have a short fuse for bullcrap

I observed a bit of an altercation at the local Walmart a couple of months ago. My wife and I were pushing our cart past the checkout lanes when we heard a heated argument. A couple of scruffy-looking men were raising their voices (almost yelling), waving their arms around, as they argued with a couple of other customers and a cashier. Don't know what it was about. I saw a couple of Walmart managers running to the scene, so I kept moving a few more yards. Directed my wife to take the cart farther back into the clothing section and look at clothes. I took a position behind a rack of clothing where I could observe the scene while pretending to look at clothes, because I didn't want them to look up and see me staring, which could escalate things. Thankfully the store manager was very good at conflict resolution and after a few minutes he had things under control. I was very impressed with him, actually.

I don't think I would have intervened unless I saw a weapon appear, or if the fight looked like it was going in the favor of the perps. There were other Wal-mart guys nearby, and besides, it is tricky to get in a fight when you are carrying a gun. BG could get their hands on your gun. Primarily I would advise you to just stay available to use your gun if necessary, but not get involved before that time.

I would recommend creating distance from anyone who is heated over a domestic issue. Likewise, heated exchanges between folks who probably know each other are often better when outsiders give them space. These types of encounters are THE most dangerous for Police Officers, and you can imagine how volatile it could become for a CCW citizen. Situations like this can go South real quick. Unless you personally are the immediate target, I would recommend giving them their space and be a good witness. Stay Safe
    God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by msg usa View Post
    I would recommend creating distance from anyone who is heated over a domestic issue. ~~~ Situations like this can go South real quick. Unless you personally are the immediate target, I would recommend giving them their space and be a good witness. Stay Safe
    +1 on that. I personally do not agree with tossing something back at them for several reasons, legal heading the list, unnecessarily escalating, not avoiding a situation that leads to a shooting, and two wrongs, etc.. . . Yes he was being and still is an ***** hole but I donít want to make it worse. That is not being weak, it is being smart IMHO. Now if he moved to attack,. . . bad for him, totally different story, protect and defend. You did well, I feel sorry for the girl involved with the jerk.

Links