Loose Dog - For My Fellow Country Folk - Page 3

Loose Dog - For My Fellow Country Folk

This is a discussion on Loose Dog - For My Fellow Country Folk within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This sounds like an episode of Lassie......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator
    This sounds like an episode of Lassie...
    "Just blame Sixto"

me

I was thinking that as well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

No shooting of dog or owner required!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Ron
    If dogs get loose, or are off lease, it is usually not their fault. If anyone, or thing needs to be shot it is the owner of the dog who should know better. Just kidding of course, but sometimes, I have to really restrain myself. As you can tell, I am a dog lover.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If i come home and a dog is harassing my livestock its dead , i wont wait i wont ask . The rifle is in the vehicle with me and it will come out . If my livestock is out and harassing other landowners i would expect no less from them . Its my duty to control my critters , as well as others duty to control their pets . If the dog is not " chasing " the stock then there is the opportunity to slow down and establish what is going on . Any wounds from " nips " tho would pretty much negate any consideration for the neighbors , or the life of the pet .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ron

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    sthem . Its my duty to control my critters , as well as others duty to control their pets . would pretty much negate any consideration for the neighbors , or the life of the pet .
    Agreed that it is the duty of the pet owner to control his dog. But, if the owner is irresponsible, and the dog is not controlled and gets out, the dog is then just being a dog. So, why shoot the dog, when it is the owner who is the responsible party? Maybe you should rethink who to shoot. Not serious, of course, just responding from the perspective of a lover and owner of three dogs.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ron i have two myself , no explanation necessary . Actualy shooting a dog is one of the hardest things a man can do ( much harder than shooting a human in some cases ) . Tho the human is responsible for the critter , the critter none the less will bear the price . i wont have my stock harassed in or out of a pen or pasture , and ( since i take my duty to keep them in serious and put up good fences at some expense ) if they are out with another animal such as a dog in the area i must consider if the dog chased them to the point they will break a fence . In my state i can shoot any animal harassing livestock without penalty , be that a pet or a bear it does not matter . Unfortunatly that law does not extend to irresponsible pet owners lol .

Edited to add: My posts in no way reflect on Josh or his posts , but he did ask " if you were a " farmer " " ? Well i am a rancher who farms what is needed for feed , so i did my best to answer without qualifications or judgement . Once i had the sad duty to shoot 43 dogs in 2 months that were owned by neighbors , i will point out tho none of them looked healthy from the biggest to the pups , all were " harassing " my stock . For most thier ribs were showing and they had mange . I can not control neighbors , or shoot them . I can control what contacts my stock .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; May 9th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ron
    Redneck Repairs, I really do understand your position, and was not intending to be critical. Because, as you said, shooting a dog can be so painful an experience, I was just trying to take a bit of the stress out of the thread.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links