Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Situation like that will always equal a bad day. Close quarters like that I would fight/shout with all my heart while trying to make it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Invasion

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Situation like that will always equal a bad day. Close quarters like that I would fight/shout with all my heart while trying to make it to my knife. Long gun too clumsy for such contact ranges and the mad dash to my roomate's room would probally only end up with both of us being occupied with at least 1BG able to attempt to aquire another weapon. Since they are out in the open. Especially considering the roommate was asleep when all this started.

Organized attack like that, you have to assume your dead if you dont kill them first. Especially in broad daylight. Either go after the shotgun guy first or keep his buddies between you and him.

However, the best strat I can think of is to answer the door armed. Not trying to be picky but bloodstains in your carpet probally will loose you your security deposit, so why not be ready to shoot the ******** in the hall?

I am trying ot get my wife in the habit of answering the door while armed, she is not used to thinking about such things/having a weapon she could use. Especially important for her because the peep hole is about 8 inches too high for her to use (yes she is that short) Don't really blame you for going unarmed to the door, glad you have learned the lesson though.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

Why was bad guy charged with Murder at all? Did I miss something?

The one BG who planned the entire thing was charged with Murder1, aggravated assault, and armed robbery. He plead down to Murder2 and got 10 years.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Well... who's murder did he commit? Did he shoot someone or did they determine he caused the other guy to be killed so that constituted murder?

I see only that they were shot in self defense. I could see manslaughter or something for causing the situation. But there must be some sort of twist there I am not understanding.

It wasn't that "HE" killed anyone per se, as to the fact that someone was killed in the commission of a felony. Since he was part of the group involved in committing that felony, he gets charged with his compadre's death. Kind of a cool twist on the law to get some "extra" justice.

The roommate who actually shot the BG is justified in his use of lethal force, but because the felony ended in a death, they can charge the other guys involved with murder, conspiracy and a plethora of other charges at the descretion of the District Attorney.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n is 100% right.

The BG who planned everything was charged with his buddies death, even though he didn't actually kill anyone.

I didn't know about that law till after this whole thing happened. It was kinda surprising when the PD told me about this.

Some of you who live in the Phoenix, AZ area may remember the news stories about it last March. It was the top story on all the news stations, it happened close to Mill and Baseline.

I ended up moving out of AZ due to these guys having gang connections (from what the PD told me), so I didn't want someone coming to my door wanting 'revenge' for their friends death.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

broknindarkagain...

See my post below where I touch on this same thing regarding taking headshots and liability.

At the bottom I list two video tapes that I would highly recommend. Of the two, Judicious Use of Deadly Force should be required viewing for anyone who carries a gun.

The second tape Physio-Psychological Aspects of Violent Encounters is the most facinating instruction on that I have ever seen on the topic. Each tape is 2 hours of "Intensive and Authoratative" instruction on the subject matter and is straight out of Massad Ayoobs 40 hour LFI-1 class

I think as a survivor of the encounter you had would find both tapes especially informative and may even explain a few of the things you might have experienced.

Good Luck and Stay Safe!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=25219
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 20th, 2007 at 12:56 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the video info. I'll for sure order them.

I don't know where you got the idea that head shots were involved though. The roommate shot CM on the BG with the shotgun, killing him.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Oh yea.. Gotcha. I forgot about those "In the commission murder reach overs". Normaly see them applied to a bad guy whos other accomplise bad guy buddy kills someone in the process and he also gets charged with murder for being in on the felony. How nicely appropriate!

broknindarkagain....

I wasn't refering to the head shots.... but later on in the post where I talked about the legalities of how a fellow bad guy can get charged with the death of his compadre' as a murder. (just remember, it's up to the prosecutor if he wants to file those kind of charges) I also explained a case where the "good guy" trying to intervene in a 3rd party situation could get caught up on the wrong side of the law if things go bad. (That clearly wasn't the case in your situation. Your roomate was obviously in the clear on that incident) That section is what I was refering to.

Again, I am glad you and your roomate were ok.

If you do end up ordering the "Physio-Psychological Aspects of Violent Encounters".... Please contact me again and let me know what you thought of the video. As a survivor, I'm anxious to know if you are your roomate experienced any of those phenomenon that are commonly encountered!
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 21st, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Someone knocks on your door and apears to be alone when you look through the peep hole. When you open the door you are rushed by 4 men.
    Need I say it?

NEVER open the door to a stranger. Speak through the door - with your main carry in your hand. If they get testy because you didn't open the door, you know the score right away.

I AWAYS practice this.

- End of Scenario -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links