Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. You're sleeping on the couch in the living room with your 870 propped up in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion

Home Invasion

You live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. You're sleeping on the couch in the living room with your 870 propped up in the corner of the wall next to the couch, you're hunting knife on the coffee table with a can of MK4. Your roommate is in the bedroom (one bedroom apartment) sleeping with an 870 and a Browning HP 9mm close by.

Someone knocks on your door and apears to be alone when you look through the peep hole. When you open the door you are rushed by 4 men. One is armed with a shotgun, one a bat, and the other two rolls of clear packing tape. Before you know it you have three men trying to take you down while the fourth is pointing his shotgun in the direction of the fight. You end up being thrown onto the couch with the three men on top of you attempting to tape your arms and legs.

What would you do from here and what do you think the best thing for the roommate to do would be when he heard the commotion and woke up?

note : the door to the roommates bedroom leads directly into the living room, leaving him with little to no cover if he comes out.

This is something that happened to my roommate and I a few years ago. I'm just curious how others would have handled this.

I will post the outcome to this after I see what a few of you would have done.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I don't know if there is anything you can do short of yelling and struggling against the four.

I guess I would hope my roomate would start shooting and keep shooting until the reason to shoot has ended, even if that means I get hit because I'm at this point.

If my roomate did start shooting I would try to roll onto the floor and then stay still.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Why the hell did you open the door? You're obviously concerned enough that both you and your roommate are sleeping next to loaded shotguns, yet you opened the door to a stranger in the middle of the night?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If it was in the middle of the night, and I wasn't expecting company, I wouldn't open the door without first asking who it was, and what they wanted. I would also have shotgun with chambered shell in hand. If the 4 men made an attempt to force their way in, I would back away from the door run to the bedroom and barricade myself and my roommate inside the bedroom, and dial 911 on my cell phone, and let the dispatcher know that there are 4 men in my apartment, I'm armed, able, and willing to take them out if necessary.

I didn't clarify what time of day it was. This actually happened at about 2:30pm. Kinda a crazy story...probably tomorrow I'll post in detail what happened and the actions my roommate and I took to take care of the situation.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Fight to the death... of someone. Preferably them dieing not me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I don't know how practical it is in your situation. But for about 50.00$ I picked up a cheap Swann cctv monitor and two cameras. Anyone knocks on my door anytime I flip it on and can see the whole porch. It has worked well for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    You're sleeping [at night, I'm assuming] ... Someone knocks on your door and apears to be alone ... I'm just curious how others would have handled this.
    I don't open doors in these situations. It merely invites disaster, if disaster is on the other side of that door in the middle of the night.

Would have gotten my weapon, and waited in a room with others away from the door. Were they to have broken in, I'd have stopped the assault as quickly as possible.

Simply trained for; simply executed. Easy to do even when quickly awakened from sleep. K.I.S.S.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most LEOs agree that the vast majority of home invasions are as a result of there being drugs in the house, I'm going to assume that this wasn't the case here as you are discussing the scenario for all the world to read.
    This makes the story particularly interesting, I would love to know why 4 armed guys attacked you in your house in the middle of the afternoon with the possibility of your struggles being overheard by occupants in the surrounding apartments.
    Did you know them?
    Was it in the worst area of town?
    Was the apartment complex a drug dealer area and you were a victim of mistaken identity?

I did not know these people, and it was not in a "bad" area of town, but nearby was a pretty rough neighborhood. I don't know if it was mistaken identity, or a random thing.

Obviously, it was not drug related on my part. According to the PD all four were strung out on meth at the time.

This did happen at 2:30pm and thats what makes it pretty strange. Both my roommate and I worked graveyard shifts so we slept during the day. For us to be asleep at 2pm wasn't a new thing.

This was in Tempe, AZ. As you probably know AZ is an open carry state. No license is required for a person to openly carry a weapon. My roommate carried his Browning everywhere he went. We also went shooting on a regular basis (usually once a week) so we would frequently carry several guns between the apartment and the car. My best guess is that the wrong person saw this and decided that they would be able to over power us and take whatever arms we had.

The end result :

I fought off as much as I could, but being without any sort of weapon I was not able to overpower three guys. I wound up breaking a nose and that was about it...other then that I got the sh*t kicked out of me. The entire time I was yelling for my roommate to wake up and get a gun. He woke up, came out with his browning and opened fire. By this time the three guys had got off of me to try and avoid being shot, so I was free to dive for cover. My roommate hit the guy with the shotgun twice CM...he died less the two minutes later. A second one with a bat was wounded in the stomach, he was out of the fight from there. The other two booked it out the door and got away...later being picked up from the police.

After several hours of questioning by the Tempe police, both my roommate and I were released without any charges pressed against either of us.

It turned out that the guy who died was only 18 years old. The one who planned it all was also 18, he was charged with Murder1 but plead down to Murder2. The other two who survived were held for awhile and then let go without being charged.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Good job. I hope the dead BG had not yet reproduced.

My approach - (small town, home business and some late night emergencies, so I get my share of strangers knocking at all times. Strangers, neighbors, deputies, even once my senator!)

CCW on right hip, open door with left hand.
    Keep your hips behind the door for cover. Keep at least your right foot on the floor, attempting to prevent the door from being forced open wider.

You may need to mirror / modify for how your door opens, etc.

Keep at least your right foot on the floor, attempting to prevent the door from being forced open wider.
    After that whole scene I started doing that. I don't know why I didn't do it before...

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Your lucky you came out of this alive. Thank your buddy for responding so fast. I think I would have called 911 before I opened the door.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    This makes the story particularly interesting, I would love to know why 4 armed guys attacked you in your house in the middle of the afternoon with the possibility of your struggles being overheard by occupants in the surrounding apartments.
    Did you know them?
    Was it in the worst area of town?
    Was the apartment complex a drug dealer area and you were a victim of mistaken identity?
    You need to Google "Carr brothers".

None of the circumstances you have mentioned were present in that situation.

Strange. Very glad you & roommate are ok...could have turned out very different. Did the police ever determine why you were a target? That appeared to be a lot of organizing for a randon h.i.

It's speculation on my part but could they have been after your guns? Maybe unforgotten road-rage?

Try a small convex mirror (like the ones that sick on car mirrors to give you a wider range of vision)...stick it on the wall, across the hall from your apartment door and within the view of your peep-hole (up against the ceiling works best so it is not blocked by the visitor).. You don't have to see clearly and with much detail but it will allow you to see if anyone is waiting outside the direct view of the peep-hole. If it's like any of the apartments that I have leased, the manager will not notice it until it's time to paint the walls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links