Car defense practice - Page 2

Car defense practice

This is a discussion on Car defense practice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by acparmed Some tactics to consider when drawing and shooting in a vehicle. Try this in your car-- When you draw bring your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb Another idea for a driver's seat draw....

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Some tactics to consider when drawing and shooting in a vehicle. Try this in your car-- When you draw bring your gun hand straight up towards the dashboard, press your wrist against the steering wheel and roll your arm over the wheel and out the window. That way you will avoid crossing yourself with the muzzle. It takes some practice but works very well.
    I have done this and it works very well. However, I have also found that if I draw strongside hip and put my right elbow into almost a retention, or "SPEED ROCK" position, I can swivel the barrel 90 degrees and slide into my offside hand so that the gun is almost against my chest and barrel is angled for firing right dead center of the drivers side window. Like where a carjacker would be coming in....When you practice it some, it's pretty fast and very stable. I worry that the over the steering wheel move might leave my barrel open to a grab by somebody already there.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool Silencers...

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but how effective are silencers anyway?
    Also does anyone have experience with owning one?

I would like one for plinking, but I am sure I don't want to go through all the hassle of getting it. Not to mention the reaction by any LEO's to it if I were ever stopped.
    A "Suppressor" AKA "CAN" AKA "HUSHPUPPY" is very efficient (especially on Class III Full Auto) but only when using subsonic ammo. Much of the noise is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. I've never owned one, but used MANY from Class III folks in my IDPA club. Also, of course in the army. Older "CANS" had to be disassembled and cleaned regularly, newer ones are almost maintenance free and loads smaller.

They are used as a matter of courtesy in Europe, for hunters to avoid disturbing local residents. But thanks to Hollywood they have gained an evil rep here and so you might be unfavorably viewed by the LEO's. If you're going to the trouble and expense, you might as well get a class III permit and buy an H&K MP5, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I worry that the over the steering wheel move might leave my barrel open to a grab by somebody already there.....
    While this could happen, I think that in the words of Clint Smith, "If he does, he'd better hang on because I'm going to light him up and it will be an 'E-Ticket' ride."

Your suggestion sounds valid and I will have to try it to see how well it works for me. Thanks your your input ExSoldier.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Smile E-Ticket Ride?

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    "If he does, he'd better hang on because I'm going to light him up and it will be an 'E-Ticket' ride."
    If it was ME standing on the outside and somebody presented a firearm in the window frame of a vehicle I would react thusly: I'd turn my left hand knuckles inward fingers open and sweep the gun into the front corner of the drivers side window, and pin it there, while at the same time drawing my own gun strongside and firing from close to my hip, but a little bit raised...

I realize that there are a number of counter responses to this such as simply moving the car forward a bit, or pulling the gun back into the vehicle thus realigning the barrel directly into the chest. This is what you do if you're holding a shotgun and somebody grabs the barrel and pushes it to the side, you take a BIG step to the rear which forces the barrel right back to center-line and slap that trigger!

Lead Moderator
    As far as siliencers, better to check state laws regarding CCW use before ya go any further. 2 types out there. both cut down the noise, subsonic more, but requires slower bullets too.

Lightbulb Silencers...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    As far as siliencers, better to check state laws regarding CCW use before ya go any further. 2 types out there. both cut down the noise, subsonic more, but requires slower bullets too.
    Whups, you are correct. It so happens they are legal (under federal tax stamp) in Florida, so I took it for granted. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links