Car defense practice

This is a discussion on Car defense practice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; any one consider or practice drawing from your driver seat to a threat outside your window. Say at a stop light or parking lot? For ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car defense practice

Lead Moderator

Car defense practice

any one consider or practice drawing from your driver seat to a threat outside your window. Say at a stop light or parking lot? For me it is more difficult , as I am left handed. Best bet for me it seems is to switch to my right hand to aim and fire , unless the window is open.Also i consider using the door as a shield/ weapon instead of trying to draw.

2. Remove Ads

have it ready

I posted a question a few days ago about intransit carry, when driving I prefer to have my weapon out, I rigged an old shoulder holster to attach to the edge my seat between my legs so that when I am stopped I can have my hand discreetly on it and pull it out, MUCH faster than I could draw it from the hip, I have tried drawing from the seated position and it is very slow, especially if a carjacker is already up on you, at the very least I would suggest taking the weapon out of the holster while driving and place it under your thigh for quick access.

At the night shoot for my club have run such a drill.

I use the vest that is worn daily...a RR 5.11 with a S&W 296 cross draw in the vest.

Yes, I have practiced the drill (live fire) from my car.

If you decide to try this....do it dry a bunch first, checking where the muzzle ends up when you dry fire.

For practice live, roll window down!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I have a 9 MM Derringer as a back up.

It works very well to just have in my coat pocket for example. I can have my hand on it and draw very fast. Good for anyone at my car window threatening me. It will buy me the time to get to my main carry gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator

Many Many Moons Ago

When I was very young and much dumber than today...I think I was 18 or 19 ~
    I was into super reality street training (on our family owned private property) I was shooting outdoors for a while without hearing protection (That was Not TOO bad!) & then decided to bang off some rounds (6 rounds Mag Revolver) from inside an abandoned vehicle also sans my ear protection.
    Might as well "Keep It Really Real" huh?
    Usually...I used that old car as cover to shoot from behind it & the doors...& I shot the tires out...just for fun...
    Don't ever shoot from inside a vehicle without hearing protection unless you need to do it to save your precious bacon!!!
    My ears have been ringing ever since.
    In Fact...even if you arse IS "on the line" try to get your firearm muzzle out of the vehicle if possible. Consider yourself warned.
    Shooting related tinnitus is a real curse.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, why do you think I use a non mag 44Special????? ;)
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Some things to consider:

Car doors and windows provide no ballistic protection. Unless you need to protect yourself from contact or impact weapons, the doors and windows are useless.

Contrary to the other poster that recommended extending the firearm outside to protect your ears in case of discharge, don't. "Here's my gun, Mr Bad Guy."

There have been documented attacks thwarted by the victim firing from the car. Bullets do go through glass, albeit at odd angles and they do lose mass. Be sure to practice those dedicated pairs if you want to be effective through laminated safety glass.

Your best protection around the car are the tires and the engine block. be sure to practice proper indexing off of cover and don't pop yourself up and over the hood or trunk lid. Your head looks just like a steel plate and skipped rounds off the lids will do some damage.

Some things you may want to practice is drawing from a seated position, escaping the car and drawing or low/urban kneeling positions to shoot under the car.

An interesting article: http://www.1adsi.com/article_lastoption.htm

Have to disagree with the above. Lots of car doors offer considerable protection from the average handgun round. Not my first choice, but far better than leaving the car IMO.

Good advice concerning the block and wheels....except that as said, you cannot expose self by shooting over trunk or hood. So you must shoot around the front or back, or under. All the time watching your six.

Stay in car, get car in motion, shoot thru side window if necessary.

Practice, practice, practice.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Red face

Has anyone ever considered a "car/truck gun only....with a silencer". Would definitely take care of the hearing damage issue. Leave that one for the vehicle and use your other gun for normal concealed carry outside the vehicle.

Administrator

All Right Then...I'll Only Speak For Myself

There would hafta be one Hell of a Big, Mean Ol' Bad Guy out there before I ever discharge a large caliber firearm from inside a totally enclosed vehicle again.
    I'll sure take my chances on that unlikely gun grab because if my defensive firearm is "out of the leather" and already presented...there is no possible way that it's ever getting taken from me. Just my humble opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I don't want to imagine what shooting a snubbie .357 from inside my vehicle would be like on my ears. I already have tinnitus. I'll shoot to save my life, but if there's an alternative, I'll use the Cold Steel Cullodeon mounted on the inside of my sun visor. I'll try to kebob an eyeball before I resort to shooting.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Supressors require a $200 tax stamp. They are big. Even those for a semi auto will increase the length of the gun barrel by at least a factor of two.

A good reason to use a subsonic round ie the 44 Special.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Supressors require a $200 tax stamp. They are big. Even those for a semi auto will increase the length of the gun barrel by at least a factor of two.

A good reason to use a subsonic round ie the 44 Special.
    Yeah, but it is a once only fee....besides, if I'm shooting from inside the vehicle, it is definitely a point and shoot situation. The GEMTECH suppressors I've seen at the gun shows look to be about 8 inches long...yeah a bit long, but since I'm right-handed and typically will have my left hand on the wheel or door (hanging over rolled down window) it makes a good rest for the shot! A shot to the right side (usually no passenger with me) there is plenty of room to spare.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but how effective are silencers anyway?
    Also does anyone have experience with owning one?

I would like one for plinking, but I am sure I don't want to go through all the hassle of getting it. Not to mention the reaction by any LEO's to it if I were ever stopped.

LOL

1952 - 2006
    Some tactics to consider when drawing and shooting in a vehicle.

If you carry strong side hip and are right handed you have a very good chance of getting your muzzle tied up in the steering wheel when you draw, if that happens and your trigger finger discipline is not the best, you will wind up capping yourself in the leg or foot. (Aren't we having fun now?)

Try this in your car-- When you draw bring your gun hand straight up towards the dashboard, press your wrist against the steering wheel and roll your arm over the wheel and out the window. That way you will avoid crossing yourself with the muzzle. It takes some practice but works very well.

From a horizontal shoulder holster always be sure to raise your off-side elbow to avoid crossing your arm with the muzzle.

When exiting the car and removing your seatbelt pass your left hand under the shoulder strap and disconnect the buckle then you won't get tangled in it when it releases.
    Last edited by acparmed; March 31st, 2005 at 06:19 PM.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links