Revolver firing in a car? - Page 2

Revolver firing in a car?

This is a discussion on Revolver firing in a car? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and if hitting the gas is not an option. tell/make your passenger to duck. all in all, it's a tough call....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolver firing in a car?

...and if hitting the gas is not an option. tell/make your passenger to duck. all in all, it's a tough call.
    What's this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I've read some things about using a semi-auto in the car...the slide could get caught up on something in a stuggle and render the gun useless, so I wouldn't rely on an auto in a vehicle.
    Apples and oranges- if you're grappling its a moot point. Try firing a revolver with another grown man squeezing on the cylinder. Ain't gonna work. The auto will spit less and will definitely be easier on you. Car jackings are usually at least 2 man affairs, as well. More (ammo) is better, in this instance, since you may be locked in place until the BGs are dead or "convinced to depart".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Any deafness is preferable to deadness.
    It's a no brainer.

But in that split second when you're making decisions on a 'shoot or no shoot' basis, make sure it isn't just a panhandler or a Police Officer.
    I agree with the first statement.

The second one isn't even something that figures into the equation. By the time I've decided to shoot at someone at the passenger door, I have long since ID'd the person as a bad guy. I don't pull a gun on anyone knocking on the window and there would have to be some sort of weapon in the person's hand if he is outside the door before I decide to shoot. Once they crawl into the car, it may be a different story.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I agree with the first statement.

The second one isn't even something that figures into the equation.
    Which is why I carried on to say that you need situational awareness, we are in full agreement.

The 'split second choice' is a hypothetical.

A blast from a 357 mag inside your house or your car would be terrible. I only load up with 357 mags for outdoor carry such as hiking or camping.

William
    Colorado

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Having fired both from various " tight spaces " with others present i will say that the auto offers the chance of a neat scar from hot brass that is not moved in time , the revolver offers gap flash , other than that all is equal and none of it is pleasant . If you have need to use a weapon in a car or a phone booth , most likely the hearing damage will be the worst , but even it pales at the damages caused by not employing one . Dont worry about the secondairy effects , practice the skillset to use a firearm anytime , anywhere .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

If the windows are down in the car then firing off a .45 from inside is not as loud as you might think.
    I've experienced this and didn't have ringing ears but for a few minutes. The two other people with me did not complain either and that was upon a half magazine being fired and none of us had hearing protection.

As to a revolver in my face going off I'd be happy to suffer ringing of ears and even powder burns rather than the alternative. I would figure if the danger was so great that the GG felt it was necessary to discharge a weapon in my face to save our lives then well I'd rather be alive with ringing ears than dead with silence.

There is a video floating around the internet of a guy who did similar to this while stopping a robber as he and another were working with a legitamate customer holding a child at his hotel front desk.
    I bet if you asked the mom she would agree, ringing ears is better than death.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    While a revo may be more likely to cause more damage, as said it is secondary to the primary concern.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hey, you ain't telling me anything..... I am definitely much happier to be alive! Just don't think that the aftermath is easy to live with, it's not. I'm 46 now, I was 20 when I had the incident I described. It was a very bizzare situation I may relate someday. I can say one thing! The images are as vivid today as if it happened an hour ago!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I found the video I was referring to yesterday

Take note of the relative distance between the GG shooter, the mother with her child in her arms, and the BG.
    This incident occurred indoors and no one had hearing protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sECV2MVYEWI

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Easy Choice...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    I know how loud my .45 is outside of the car, wouldn't want to hear inside. Everyone would be def.
    I prefer no hearing to no breathing...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You and your wife should discuss tactics that would be used in different incidents that could come up. Who is carrying what weapon. Who would do what in this or that sisuation. When two people are together as much as they are it pays to review tactics....review possible threats....and review who would respond to what. She know which weapon you are carrying and you know what weapon is in her purse and how many reloads she has. When a couple both have their CCW, it pays to approach it as team work. This should include who does what in a auto defense.
    Last edited by Spirit51; May 4th, 2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Confusing in current form

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Interesting thread. If your significant other also carrys, which it appears she does, it's nice that you can work as a team. With your spouse having a similar mindset as you, I would then think she would know when & if it's too late for her to draw & will probably get as low as possible while getting her gun.

In a situation like this, & I've shot from inside a vehicle before, I wouldn't pick you gun solely on that "one" type of incident. A revolver has gap blast, but an auto has hot brass flying.

Yeah, the blast from a revolver, especially a .357 may burn someone & is definitely going to be LOUD, & you won't have to worry about the slide snagging. However, you are limited by # of rounds & reloading quickly, if needed. Of course, that's where your CC spouse comes in, if she's with you at the time.

An auto's going to afford you more capacity (Most likely, anyways), & quicker reloads. Yeah, the slide can get hung up, in a situation like this, what are you going to do? ANY gun of SD caliber is going to be loud, especially in the relatively small confines of an auto.

You just use what you have at the moment. Personally, I wouldn't change weapons "just" because of the possibility of this type of situation occurring. I'd change because I may have different concealment needs at the moment or a particular type of holster for a certain gun that'll fit the needs better. Say, whichever of my guns that I have a crossdraw holster for, if I'm going on a long trip, maybe.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links