Ever Foiled A Potential Assault?

This is a discussion on Ever Foiled A Potential Assault? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Simple precautions. Lock the door; keep the windows rolled up when driving through populated areas; keep the car in gear; keep ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever Foiled A Potential Assault?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    Simple precautions. Lock the door; keep the windows rolled up when driving through populated areas; keep the car in gear; keep your head on a swivel; monitor your surroundings; be aware of strangers within 50ft of you, as if your life depended on it; when approaching a risky situation, get in / get out; go armed, always. Merely removing the options from the table of choices the BG has to select from can often be enough to turn the tables.
    Well said.

When I'm stopped at a red light, I usually roll my windows up, or just keep one cracked an inch or so if I'm smoking. I'm always checking my mirrors and watching whats going on around me.

Its not anything new for people to walk up to your window where I live, and its usually the shady looking people. There is a really large homeless population where I live...but if you keep your windows up when you're stopped they don't bug you.

A few years ago I watched someone with some serious road rage get out of his car at a red light and approach another vehicle that cut him off...This was at about 11pm. I just turned on my brights (to blind him and so I could see him better) and stepped out of my car with my 4D mag light (that was the only weapon on me at the time. I keep it in the pocket on the door). The guy backed off and got back in his car.

I don't know what would have happened if I just sat there and watched, it could have turned into a fight or someone could have got killed.

I followed up with a phone call to the local police and gave them a description of the vehicles and license plates.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    be aware of strangers within 50ft of you, as if your life depended on it
    your life does depend on it... that is why we carry right??
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    your life does depend on it... that is why we carry right??
    Of course, though some certainly carry as if this point was inconsequential, head down, eyes front, ears "off", mind closed and "radar" inactive. Altogether, that's a good way to get attacked and lose.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Ohio's rest stop buildings are state property and therefore off limits to weapons. Every door to every building in the rest stops is signed as such.

Because stories like Lew's are legion, I ignore those signs. Unless the Ohio State Highway Patrol decides to saturate all rest stops with troopers 24/7, I will do whatever I have to do to protect myself and my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Ohio's rest stop buildings are state property and therefore off limits to weapons. Every door to every building in the rest stops is signed as such.
    Wow. Mr. Johnson on the "can", while traveling to visit his aging grandmother, is criminalized as a felon? Crappy situation all around. Makes you want to flick the ear lobes of a few state legislators, doesn't it? All the better to help them see the insanity they've wrought.

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    stepped out of my car with my 4D mag light
    IMHO, I don't think this was a smart move. It's inciting. The high beams and remaining in your vehicle along with reporting the incident with a description and license plates to the police was on point. I'm sure the high beams along with you viewing the scene was enough to deter.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    A few years ago I watched someone with some serious road rage get out of his car at a red light and approach another vehicle that cut him off...This was at about 11pm. I just turned on my brights (to blind him and so I could see him better) and stepped out of my car with my 4D mag light (that was the only weapon on me at the time. I keep it in the pocket on the door). The guy backed off and got back in his car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Passa Fist View Post
    [re high-beams and exiting the car] IMHO, I don't think this was a smart move. It's inciting.
    To say nothing of no longer having the protection of (a) 3500 lbs of steel and (b) mobility. It's hard to realize how fast tables can turn, in such situations. I'd recommend: staying in the car, keep it in "drive" and be ready to move!, flipping to brights, getting the license plate, being a good witness. If directly assaulted or attacked, there is nothing quite so protective and capable as a quickly-moving 3500 lb slab under your control, against an attacker on foot away from his own "cover."

That said ... broknindarkagain, good job on thwarting what seemed likely to be an escalating assault.

Leaving a funeral home in Southwest Detroit (ghetto) late one winter evening (dark), we get to the freeway and need to turn right to turn around to get to our exit. Just as we cross the freeway and make our left,I notice a car begin to roll slowyly out of the sidestreet, headlights off. I have to stop for the red light and the car (no other traffic around) slowly approaches from behid and rear ends us kinda lightly. Yeah, like I'm getting out of the car here, NOT. I drive a few blocks and pull into a well lit gas station with a couple people fueling. The car followed us until we pulled in, paused before pulling in, then drove off. We were gonna be jacked, at least. No fun with my wife and kids in the car. Another one of theose things that motivated me to get my ccw.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ive had two
    First, I was in college and living in the cheapest apartment I could find. We slept with the windows up to try and save $ on AC. One night I was awakened by the sound of somebody popping my screen out of the window at the foot of my bed. I reached over and grabbed the 45, then I realized I had made a big mistake, I didn't have a round chambered. I corrected my mistake and heard one voice say OH #$#@ and another voice say RUN. I'm glad they took off but since then I never have my weapon on me or in a position for protection at home without a round in the chamber.

2nd
    My wife and I were heading up to Virginia to pick up a car and stopped at Taco Bell to grab a late dinner. They had the drive-thru designed that once you got in you couldn't get out of line and leave. After we ordered and moved forward to wait I noticed a large man wearing a dark trench coat come out of the bushes and start coming at the truck at a slow walk. Both hands were in his pockets and the was obviously heading straight for my window. I grabbed the 45 and when he got about 8 feet from the truck raised it and pointed it at him. He threw his hands up and started babbling about buying watches and turned and ran off. I wasn't interested in anything he had to say.

FMC

Not here frequently (just FYI). I'm 6'2", 215# and self-confident, eventhough 62 yo. Not afraid to challenge, depending on gut feeling, so not usually hassled much. Guess I just don't look like prey.

Few yrs ago SWMBO and I enroute home from out of town, needed some groceries so stopped in another town where we knew Grocery was close to interchange. Went in uneventfully. Came out and both stopped and looked around. She said:"i'll carry the groceries, you keepyour hands free." I was armed. Nothing happened but the "spidey sense" was definitely tingling.

Staeling wife's story: Last Christams season she had to go to mall after work, dark. She's CCW. Couldn't park too close. See 2 dudes cutting across lot between cars. Lady (sorry-woman) coming out with arms full. Dudes take intercept course toward woman, she reaches her car as wife approaches heading in, appears nervous. Wife asks "Want me to stay here while you load the car?" "Would you?" She then offered SWMBO ride to door, "No, I'm OK".

Stay safe.
    Bob
    PS: S&Wfan: Ohio's off limits! Go the other way around.

A couple times I've been in close proximity to latins with lots of tats. Always look for MS-13 identifiers. Almost a "shoot first" qualifier!
    Sorry to sound prejudiced but they're certified "badasses"!

Bob

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    PS: S&Wfan: Ohio's off limits! Go the other way around.
    Excuse me?

Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post

Because stories like Lew's are legion, I ignore those signs. Unless the Ohio State Highway Patrol decides to saturate all rest stops with troopers 24/7, I will do whatever I have to do to protect myself and my family.

I noticed the posting of the rest areas on 80/90 toll way last year and have not run it since. Cheaper to go around it anyway.
    Thankfully, I have yet to find a truckstop posted against concealed carry.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

S&W Fan: $40-$50 Bucks, 2 weeks, and a copy of my WV CCL and I have a PA CCW, BY MAIL!!! From what I hear even some off-duty LEO's are afraid to carry in Ohio because the CCW laws are so screwed up. I think, maybe, they've improved some in the last rouind of legislation. Going from where I live to old home town of Wheeling )AKA Sin City), I can stay in state, though a "long and winding road". So it either I-77 into Ohio and East on I-70 ot north on I-79 into PA and West on I-70. Guess where I'm going?

PS: We eat and gas up in PA to show our appreciation.
    Last edited by Bob F.; May 16th, 2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: $$$, added the PS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links