Why I will NEVER visit NYC again

This is a discussion on Why I will NEVER visit NYC again within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been to NYC twice and Chicago several times. Since I began carrying and am aware of the gun laws, I will never go back ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I will NEVER visit NYC again

VIP Member
    I've been to NYC twice and Chicago several times. Since I began carrying and am aware of the gun laws, I will never go back to either one. I have to go into Southern Illinois ( very nice country) almost weekly, but I stay out of the big cities.

2. Remove Ads

I've been to "OLD York" ONCE since High School and even then was before I started carrying...Dont go. I don't go to DC anymore just as I refuse to go to Old York, Taxachussets, or any other such place. Not only do I dislike their outragious lunacy, I dislike it so much that I choose to NEVER give either of them another cent of my hard earned, tax raped, dollars as much as I possibly can. Granted...the feds probably give them some from my taxes at some point, but whatever I have left over...They aren't getting! Make it a point boys and girls...No matter how good the sites look, no matter how bad you want to see the memorials, they ARE NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Never, ever, ever go to NYC or DC.

Leave those places to the people who choose to live there.

They deserve those places.

'Zactly!

NYC and DC have some excellent museums that are worth the visit. They're also relatively safe as long as you stay in the tourist areas where there's lots of cops (just like New Orleans). There simply aren't any museums elsewhere in the USA that compare to the Smithsonean or the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art (which has excellent collections of ancient Egyptian and ancient Greek artifacts). Plus, the Smithsonean is free.

Just like Hawai'i, these places can be nice to visit, but they're not someplace you'd want to live.

I was born and raised in NYC, after a brief stent of insanity (living in NJ) I finally settled in somewhat sensible VA. That kind of thing is common in Manhatten. If you called the cops, I doubt you'd get more than a laugh out of them if they ever showed up 2 hours later.
    Good thing you left the Benchmade home too butterfly knives are NOT LEGAL at all in NYC. The best part is that if you ended up using a knife/flashlight or anything else against the guy you'd be facing more time than him.
    There are some things in Manhatten worth seeing and doing if you can afford it, but I can't say I really miss the people.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    NYC and DC have some excellent museums that are worth the visit. They're also relatively safe as long as you stay in the tourist areas where there's lots of cops (just like New Orleans). There simply aren't any museums elsewhere in the USA that compare to the Smithsonean or the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art (which has excellent collections of ancient Egyptian and ancient Greek artifacts). Plus, the Smithsonean is free.

Just like Hawai'i, these places can be nice to visit, but they're not someplace you'd want to live.
    Agreed. I used to avoid DC as often as possible (not completely possible since my wife works there). But I got my slow brain cranking up and decided that I will be damned before I let the fear of a bad guy (be it a criminal or a brain dead politician) stop me from enjoying things that I want to enjoy.

I sure wouldn't live in DC but I do like to visit there.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

You use to be able to go downtown Minneapolis without being accosted by panhandlers but not any more. It has become the norm. I complained once about this on a local thread and was told I am just not a very giving person. I told them I give to help the needy by paying my taxes and giving to charity, I will not give to some bum with his hand out on the street as I don't know where the money is going to really go. Also I don't want them that close to me. The majority are carrying some type of edged weapon at least. The majority also have some kind of mental, or substance abuse problem. That is just the reality of life on the streets.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Guess you guys out there in AZ don't get the local news here...like just a few months back some nutz were going around attacking people out on the mall in dc in plain site(and even during daylight hours if I remember correctly). That's as about a tourist area as you can get.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071201228.html
    The first robbery took place about 10 p.m., when two women from Texas were accosted by two men who took their money. At least one assailant had a gun, said Sgt. Scott Fear, a U.S. Park Police spokesman. One woman was groped during the robbery. After the attack, the women hailed a cab and called 911 to report the crime
    There was a string of those May'06-Aug. And it's not uncommon anymore.
    Oh and here's a few more - Same time frame - This one a Girl Sexually assaulted as well as robbed:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052800966.html

Unless you're willing to do the time...Stay out of the District of Crime.
    Last edited by packinnova; May 7th, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: notice

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    ... I will be damned before I let the fear of a bad guy (be it a criminal or a brain dead politician) stop me from enjoying things that I want to enjoy....
    The bad guy is not so much to be feared as the DC justice system and the legal consequences of any type of self defense in DC.

I hate to say this...

Quote Originally Posted by Scheetz View Post
    It would have ended a lot sooner if I was carrying. Simple 3 steps back, right leg away and hand on holster would have been enough for him. He obviously knew this because that is what he was trying to pretend to have.
    If you didn't see a weapon or have some other reason to believe (as a reasonable man would) that your lives weren't in IMMINENT danger of death or great bodily harm you would not have been justified in displaying the weapon...at least not in Florida nor under common law which is the source of most US law. So you perceive this guy has the intention to attack you, but he's only said he's going to Beat your ass not kill you and yours. He's also outnumbered by folks potentially ready to mount a defense against him and that removes any aggravating factors that would permit you to draw. Also, if you need the gun to demonstrate to a punk why he needs to move on you've just sunk to his level. That's why he faked the move behind his back. Weakness.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I do not patronize businesses, cities or states that strip us of our rights. Simple as that.

NYC will never get a dime from me and Rudy Guliani will not get my vote. Nor will Mit Romney.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I do not patronize businesses, cities or states that strip us of our rights. Simple as that.

NYC will never get a dime from me and Rudy Guliani will not get my vote. Nor will Mit Romney.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Best thing that happened to DC? When the British Army burned it to the ground in 1812.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Guess you guys out there in AZ don't get the local news here...like just a few months back some nutz were going around attacking people out on the mall in dc in plain site(and even during daylight hours if I remember correctly). That's as about a tourist area as you can get..
    These news reports are total BS. They state that the robbers had a semiautomatic handgun. That's impossible: handguns are illegal in DC.

Oh well, I guess I won't be visiting the Smithsonean any time soon if it's gotten that bad over there.

These news reports are total BS. They state that the robbers had a semiautomatic handgun. That's impossible: handguns are illegal in DC.

Oh well, I guess I won't be visiting the Smithsonean any time soon if it's gotten that bad over there.
    Oh no...you can visit...it's just like russian roulette though. Pick your poison...violate the law and defend yourself...or don't violate the law and be at the mercy of the damned. Personally, I just don't go. It's a matter of choice. There's no arguing they have great history and great museums...or at least they used to...Don't know for sure anymore as I haven't stepped foot back in the DMZ there in oh...7 years(except once for work - although I do have a great boss, as I made it quite clear that I won't work in DC anymore, just didn't tell him why, but he hasn't sent me back since). So basically I haven't been back since I started carrying...even though for 5 of the last 7 I lived within 10 minutes of it. Then again, I am the extreme...I don't usually even travel through MD either(even though I grew up in Baltimore)...Like my trips to PA every year...For the last two years, I've made it a point to spend the extra $ in gas and go around the MD panhandle through WV to get to PA...You probably aren't so nutz? It's about 2 things -life and tax $...If I have a choice to not give it to 'em...I don't. I'll stick it to 'em every time.

All that long winded-ness to say...in the end, it's up to you to make the risk assessment and decide whether or not it's worth it. For some it is. For me it isn't. Odd's are you'll probably be fine, but I don't typically gamble

-The Mist (2007)

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It's about 2 things -life and tax $...If I have a choice to not give it to 'em...I don't. I'll stick it to 'em every time.
    You are paying extra fuel taxes by going around. Why not drive through and don't spend any money. Take your lunch so you don't have to stop.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links