Why I will NEVER visit NYC again

This is a discussion on Why I will NEVER visit NYC again within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pitmaster You are paying extra fuel taxes by going around. Why not drive through and don't spend any money. Take your lunch ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I will NEVER visit NYC again

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    You are paying extra fuel taxes by going around. Why not drive through and don't spend any money. Take your lunch so you don't have to stop.
    Hmm well for starters that means I have to stop here on the VA side first, disarm, put it in a locked container in the trunk, get back in and go through, stop on the other side(PA) and reverse process. Then do the whole thing all over again on the return trip...not worth the trouble. I'll spend the money on gas thanks. Knowing my luck it'll be like seatbelts...the one time I don't wear it... I'll get T-boned.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by lscurrier View Post
    I work in NYC and really take exception!!

To the fact that the NYC and NY state governments have made NY a place where law-abiding people can be manhandled by homeless or criminal types.
    And I must take exception to this

Unless it's somehow different up there, it's the *citizens* of NYC and NY state that has made NY a place where law-abiding people can be manhandled by homeless or criminal types. After all, it WAS them who elected the government.

Thanks!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I do not patronize businesses, cities or states that strip us of our rights. Simple as that.

NYC will never get a dime from me and Rudy Guliani will not get my vote. Nor will Mit Romney.
    I see your point but for me its not that simple.

I agree that a majority of the citizens keep putting these idiots in power but there are a lot of very pro-gun people in DC. Many of these people struggle running small businesses such as restaurants, etc. I don't want to penalize them for the anti's stupid rules.

I know that many people say to move out of places that ban guns and well . . . . I wouldn't live there either but I applaude those who stay and fight (as long as they are truely fighting to get rid of the stupid gun ban).

Also, most people have some place they cannot carry but choose to go anyway. When my daughter was in school, I went to the school to watch her in band performances or theater productions.

It was either 1) carry illegally which I won't do, 2) disarm or 3) miss seeing my daughter perform which I also won't do.

So, it comes down to risk assessment vs desire for something. I wanted to see New York City, so I have been there a few times - it was OK but I wasn't all that impressed. Don't have a strong desire to go back.

There are a lot of things in DC that I want to do or see. I live about 15 miles to the west of DC. I will go see stuff there whenever the mood hits me. Also, if my wife works late, I will go in to pick her up.

I have a general rule that I always try to use: If I won't go to a place unarmed, I won't go there armed.

Each to his own and your mileage may vary.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Well, to me DC is not as bad as NYC. I have been going to DC since I was in elementary school and have been through 90%+ of the museums. I enjoy clubbing there also, while its a huge risk to do so I do not mind it.

I know DC has made a turn back to guns. My father said the news made a comment that DC released a statement that you can have guns in DC again but its just a trial, so do not go out and buy a bunch of them.

And my statement about NYC:

NYC is a gun free zone to protect its criminals, not its law abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by gregma View Post

Unless it's somehow different up there, it's the *citizens* of NYC and NY state that has made NY a place where law-abiding people can be manhandled by homeless or criminal types. After all, it WAS them who elected the government.
    We're not all nuts here in NY. I don't recall ever voting for Chuck Schumer, Hillary Clinton, or Louise Slaughter-- but someone must have I'd really, really like for NYC to get their own damn state, though!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I'd really, really like for NYC to get their own damn state, though!
    Why? That would only give them two MORE antigun votes in the Senate and untold number of antigun votes in the House. California East. Just like we've got (here in Miami-Dade) New York City SOUTH.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I'd really, really like for NYC to get their own damn state, though!
    Hey, there's an idea. A place that believes the first ten Amendments of the Constitution don't matter should certainly be a district and not a state. It should be walled-in. Its politicians should be given the restriction to affect things only within their district, not the state (like D.C.). The rest of the beautiful state of NY could then thrive, in terms of rational thought. You've got my vote!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    ...I will not give to some bum with his hand out on the street as I don't know where the money is going to really go.
    I suspect you really do know where it's going to go. We all do.
    If you think they are going to buy food, offer to buy them a burger.
    Or keep McDonalds' gift certificates on you. But, in 30 years of dealing with street people, I have had TWO who wanted food. The rest wanted the money for drugs or alcohol.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I just got back from a family week vacation in DC. Nice scenery and lots of history, but I felt naked without my gun. So I carried pepper spray where I was allowed and two flashlights. Now I get to play with my new AR.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Being a native NYC'er, I never voted for the constant, non-stop crop of Tammany Hall-like politicos that run the city (or the state for that matter).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I wouldn't go to NY, IL, WI, or DC...I'd feel safer in China...

No Guns Allowed? No Money From Me!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wouldn't go to NY, IL, WI, or DC...I'd feel safer in China...

No Guns Allowed? No Money From Me!
    Don't forget NJ. From what I've read here, NJ is worse than all those places!

China probably is safer, too. While guns aren't allowed there, and neither are many other important freedoms, they do take a hard-line stance against crime. Most criminals are just taken out and shot in the head, even for what we consider relatively minor offenses. I certainly wouldn't want to live there, but at least on a tourist visit, you probably don't have to worry much about being mugged or assaulted by thugs. Just don't try to convince anyone that democracy is great, that Tienanmen Square happened, or to join Falun Gong.

There are lots of things I would like to see in NYC, but none is worth the hassles. Besides, I'd rather go on vacation somewhere where I speak the language.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Sorry for your experience. I am no fan of NYC but living near it I have gone there plenty and NEVER had anything near the experience you did.

Keep some things in persepective. You met first hand one deranged nut job. You were in close proximity to probably 1,000 X more people than you are on a normal day though. You handled the situation well. I would have called for the counter girl to get the manager faster, those guys do not take kindly to such behaviour and more than a couple have a baseball bat handy for such occasions if needed.

I too want the laws changed, but it will have to be done nationally to take effect in NYC because it will never be done locally. In the mean time wariness is your best defense and you should know your encouter was very much out of the ordinary. (There will always be bums and panhandlers. Violent ones are not common or accepted.)

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Why? That would only give them two MORE antigun votes in the Senate and untold number of antigun votes in the House. California East. Just like we've got (here in Miami-Dade) New York City SOUTH.
    We could just give 'em to Canada...or back to the Brits?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links