How To Answer The Door To Strangers...

This is a discussion on How To Answer The Door To Strangers... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is how I answer the door, everytime I do not know who is on the other side. I will give Massad Ayoob full credit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Answer The Door To Strangers...

Post How To Answer The Door To Strangers...

This is how I answer the door, everytime I do not know who is on the other side. I will give Massad Ayoob full credit of course since I learned it from him many years ago.

I take my loaded Glock 23 or other weapon I have handy and grasp it with a one handed shooting grip. I take an ordinary magazine (the type you read) or a folded newspaper or other handy reading material and lay it across the loaded Glock, holding the reading material between my thumb and the grip of the gun. (this allows me to have a full one handed shooting grip on the gun and hold the reading material at the same time... trigger finger outside the trigger guard and along the slide, of course)

When I answer the door using my off hand to open door, I hold the gun (one handed) in strong hand, at the low ready and turned somewhat sideways (palm up) so the reading material is face up covering the gun in my hand. When someone looks down at my hand all they see is me holding my favorite reading material which conceals the weapon entirely. (They can assume I was just reading the newspaper or whatever magazine when they knocked on the door.)

Now, if somebody tries to do a forced entry, I can stiff arm them in the face with my off hand, back step one or two paces as I let the reading material slide from my grip and come up blasting (one handed) on target and at near contact distance. Talk about a suprised BG! I can even come up blasting without even dropping the reading material. Even if the BG is armed, I am not worried as there are several options I have available to parry his weapon away or utilize some other tactic.

Now, if I happen to envite the person inside, but I still don't know them and want to remain on guard, I can still carry the pistol around and have it remain concealed yet instantly ready. (example.. Someone claims to be from the gas company or some other ruse).

If on the other hand, the person is an unannounced friend or someone I know to be a good guy... I can casually walk over and lay the weapon down on the table next to me with the reading material (magazine) still on top of the gun and the gun remains totally concealed and no one is the wiser.

My wife does the same thing except uses her needle point as the device to conceal her SP-101.

One night about 16 years ago when I was at work and we were living in kind of a bad neighborhood, my wife was home alone. Someone knocked at the door at approx. 9:30 pm and while she didn't properly identify who was outside, she answered the door in her usual fashion with the needle point in hand. The person at the door was a Missouri State Trooper and he was wanting to ask her some questions about one of our neighbors. She talked with him for approximately 8 or 10 minutes and little did he know she had a loaded .357 magnum pointed in very close proximity of his manhood. No harm No foul!

I have practiced this hundreds of times in dry fire and on the range. It works! It's sweet!

(Note: I originally posted this as Reply #21 to the thread "Home Invasion" http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=24440)

See pictures Below:

Last edited by Bark'n; May 7th, 2007 at 09:39 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Why not just hold the firearm behind your back, palm side in?

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Why not just hold the firearm behind your back, palm side in?

That is most certainly an option...

This way affords some measure of discretion to those who may be offended at the sight of a firearm if you end up enviting the person inside.

Some people have been known to make negative judgments towards those who always answer door with "gun in hand." I would simply prefer some of my friends and some family members not thinking that I am paranoid, or "out there" or just another "gun nut".

Most of my friends know I'm a gun enthusiast and am well prepared, but no need to flaunt it. Besides, I have some professional people over at my house who have no idea I have guns at all.

If you are just openly holding your "heater" in your hand, albeit behind your back, what do you do with it, when you envite them inside?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    sounds like a decent idea, especially when you invite someone in.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If you are just openly holding your "heater" in your hand, albeit behind your back, what do you do with it, when you envite them inside?
    Uhhhh.......excuse yourself for a few seconds before you let them in so that you can put it away?

If it works for you, good to go.

In my case, there ain't no one coming into my home if I don't know them, and they know me, real well - that means they have no problem with me being armed 24/7, either openly or concealed.

I just keep mine in my right hand behind my right leg, while only opening the door a few inches to see out and keeping the left foot/leg braced against the door until I have determined that I want to let the person in or talk to them, I then re-holster as i move my foot from the door to open it completely.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

This way affords some measure of discretion to those who may be offended at the sight of a firearm if you end up enviting the person inside.
    Mine's easier; if you're offended by my firearms, you can stay outside. Preferably off the property entirely.

Besides, even the stuff with centerfolds won't hide my preferred door-answering gun very well.

If I don't recognize the car, I let the dogs answer the door.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    If I don't recognize the car, I let the dogs answer the door.
    My dogs dont give me the choice, they always answer the door!

I use the same technique on traffic stops... it works well and never have been "outed" yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have to admit I don't do it every time, but when I open the door late at night, or when I see a suspicious person through the peephole, I put my hand on my gun, but leave it in the holster with my body bladed so it's out of view. This seems like it this would be as fast or faster than having my pistol in my hand behind my back. I've put in a lot of practice at getting my gun out of my holster and into a firing position as quickly as possible. I don't really have any practice bringing it out from behind my back. I think it's best to stick with the well practiced move. Plus, if I do invite the person at the door in, I just have to let go of my gun and make sure my cover garment gets back across it.

One night about 16 years ago when I was at work and we were living in kind of a bad neighborhood, my wife was home alone. Someone knocked at the door at approx. 9:30 pm and while she didn't properly identify who was outside, she answered the door in her usual fashion with the needle point in hand. The person at the door was a Missouri State Trooper and he was wanting to ask her some questions about one of our neighbors. She talked with him for approximately 8 or 10 minutes and little did he know she had a loaded .357 magnum pointed in very close proximity of his manhood. No harm No foul!
    Bad idea. She fumbles that needlepoint, officer sees a .357mag pointed at him, he's likely to draw his weapon and fire. I simply would have explained that I usually have a weapon with me when I answer the door at night, and if he would mind waiting a minute while I put it away.

I figure there is no reason for them to be at my door so I have them move to the bottom of the stairs before opening the door.

How To Answer The Door To Strangers...
    Don't. Works every time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1

If I don't know them, I won't open the door. They can talk to me through the door.

If that's not good enough, they can move on.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links